Is Shower Board any good??? - ProTeacher Community

Chris10

Is Shower Board any good???
Old 08-14-2006, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I am just wondering if you all honestly think shower board really works all that well? I have a huge green chalk board in my room, but I HATE chalk boards--sneezing, the heebie-jeebies when I write on it, I cannot stand them and it doesn't look like my district will be getting rid of it for me anytime soon. Should I buy the shower board or pay more for some real whiteboards that would not be as large, but might be better? What are the pros/cons of the shower board?
THANKS SO MUCH
Chris10

Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach620

I love mine
Old 08-14-2006, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Chris10 -

I have a piece of shower board in my classroom. I have used the same piece for six years now and think it works very well! The only down side to my shower board was figuring out how to attach it to my chalkboard. I used heavy duty two sided tape and even a caulk-like glue, but finally used clasps that hold up maps. I clipped the board in between the chalkboard and the clip and it works well. The only bad thing is because we don't have air in our school, the board has sort of bowed over the past few summers. It still works quite well though and there is only a slight bow. I clean it just as I do a whiteboard with the whiteboard cleaner. I use dry erase markers and have no chalk mess/dust!

Dana
teach620 is offline   Reply With Quote

jensw

I found this website about it
Old 08-14-2006, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was just doing some research on this, and I found this website. It has some useful info about shower boards.

http://xtronics.com/reference/whiteboard.htm
jensw is offline   Reply With Quote

kto28

Old 08-15-2006, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am also looking for shower boards, but home depot doesn't carry anything like it... do you know where else to get it? or if there is another name for it?
kto28 is offline   Reply With Quote

sthang6

Old 08-18-2006, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I acyually cut the shower board into smaller pieces. I gave each child one and this way they each have thier own little dry erase board. It worked really well, and they loved it. It's really cheap to buy at Hope Depot, then I cut it at home....

sthang6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chris10

Sthang6
Old 08-19-2006, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How did you cut it??? AND to kto28 I think Lowes carries it -- I know our Home Depot does have it--so I haven't really had to do much looking---but you might try calling a store in your area that doea bathroom updates--or a construction company that might be able to put you in touch with a distributor--it would probably be even cheaper that way!
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsG

Old 08-19-2006, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've been writing on shower board for a while now and I didn't even know it! I think it works the same as the white boards I've used.

Go for it! I hate chalk too!!
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 08-19-2006, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I too made student slates with showerboard and have been very satisfied with the product. The good folks at Home Depot cut it for me. There is a thread on here about using showerboard instead of chalk board. I think I have some slabs of it in my portable and they work fine. Adhering it would be a challenge. Someone said she used liquid nails on that other thread. I guess if the chalk board will never be used again, it would be okay to destroy it with liquid nails or real drilled-in holes or glue. I'd ask the principal before I proceeded.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

LIDiane

Do I understand?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Am I understanding correctly that a shower board is a material you can attach to a chalkboard making it a white wipe off board? WOW that's great. I hate my old green non-magnetic chalkboard.
LIDiane is offline   Reply With Quote

sthang6

Old 08-21-2006, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Chris10, Most Home Depots won't cut it for you anymore. I just used a table saw. It cuts really well. The ends didn't even fray.
sthang6 is offline   Reply With Quote

LisaMLS

Old 08-22-2006, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I found the shower board at my local Home Depot. I was lookiong all lover the area where they had shower stalls and could not find it. I ended up strolling through the lumber section and they did have it there. I just asked an employee to cut on slab of it into 8x12 pieces (since I wanted individual ones).
LisaMLS is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 08-22-2006, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If you go when they aren't swamped and tell them you are a teacher, they might cut it for you. They cut it for me and they mentioned that they like to help teachers.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Bondo

Bondo

1st grade teacher
Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We have shower board in all our rooms. They are screwed onto the old chalk board and we still use the original wooden tray and frame. They are not magnetic, but they work well. Just don't put scotch tape, it will peel off the white and then you have a mess. But Home Depot does have a paint you can buy to repair or make any surface a dry erase board. They also have paint to make a chalk board and to make a surface magnetic!
Joohhnn

Joohhnn

Where to find Showerboard
Old 06-26-2009, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hi,

I live in Canada and just checked out home depot yesterday and they dont carry the type of showerboard mentioned in any whiteboard articles. The closest thing they have is a greyish material that costs $65 per sheet.

Any ideas where I can find the showerboard everyone is raving about?
SusanA

SusanA

another concern
Old 09-03-2009, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I was delighted to find an inexpensive showerboard that was the perfect size to cover my chalkboard. But I never got to try it out because our custodian complained to the principal who told me to take it down. "It might fall down and hurt a student", was the reason given. I had set it on the chalk rail and clipped it at the top. No damage to the chalkboard or installation problems. Fortunately I'm only out $12, but I'm really annoyed!

MrsMatheson

Showerboard Hanging solution
Old 07-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hey everyone, I have been debating using showerboard in my room. I found this blog post http://ladybugsteacherfiles.blogspot...iteboards.html And she uses velcro to hold her up!
MrsMatheson is offline   Reply With Quote