Help

ARCHIVE

Student-made classroom book ideas

>

teacher1st

Student-made classroom book ideas
Old 06-23-2009, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In the past I have had the students make books that we compile together and put in our class library or share at conferences. However, I would like to make enough this year so that at the end of the year, each student can have one book to take home. I just don't have enough ideas to make that many books.

Can you please post the classroom books that you make. I need to have at least 25 different books to make.

Thanks!
Amy

teacher1st is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

My favorite easy idea...
Old 06-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

is actually more of a personal book. I do a center called "Squiggle of the Week" where a student makes a squiggle in the illustration portion of the page. Each classmate turns that squiggle into something when they get to that center and then they write about their illustration. At the end of the week, the student has a book called "Mary's Squiggle Book." I bind it in their favorite color construction paper and each student will get one throughout the year. Just one easy idea, different than a regular class book and the kids love it.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvpooh

Class Books
Old 06-23-2009, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Some class books that we make are:

Chick, Chicka, Boom Boom Look Who is in Mrs./Ms. ________ Room

___________ is in our room.

take their picture or they can draw a self portrait.

I Can _____________. They can do individual books then create a class I Can Book/Our Class Can or Mrs. _______ Class Can

A Class Name Book after you read Chrysanthemum students tell why they like their names.
My name is ________________. I like my name because___________.

If You Give a Student a__________________________.

The Very Hungry First Grader

I know I have others put I can't think of them right now
iluvpooh is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Re: Class Books
Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Will try to attach a file of some ideas I have collected from others in the past. I think this one is compiled from posts at Teachers.Net.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 927 Class Book Ideas from Tnet.doc (76.0 KB, 850 views)
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

important book
Old 06-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Got this from p/t

Use the frame from the Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown.

The important thing about _____________ is ___________

It is true that she____________________________ _____
_______________________________ _________________
_______________________________ ________________
_______________________________ ________________

But the important thing about _________ is _________

tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote

AddieJ

class books
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here's a list of class book ideas. We make many of these throughout the year (but not all of them!!) I noticed I have a few books to add to the list for some of our themes, but you get the idea! I teach kdg but these bks can be easily adapted to first.

I love the Squiggle idea! Thanks for sharing!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Class Books2.doc (81.5 KB, 633 views)
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

calecolts1

Old 06-23-2009, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Some that I have done that I haven't seen yet are:
"I Like Me! I don't know the author but it's about a girl pig and she tells what she likes about herself. The I make a page that has a big circle at the top for the student to make their face and on the bottom it says My name is _______. I like me because_________. Each kid makes a page.
I have a book that has the top blank for the kids to make a drawing and the bottom says: I can be patriotic by __________.
I have the kids go around the school and look for shapes with the digital camera and then I print the pictures out, one per page and then each kid takes one and writes (example) I see a square in the T.V.
We use the digital camera to find "doubles" and then I print it out and the kids write. (example) I see 4 windows, 2+2=4.
We learn different poems like "Purple Cow" and then make a page but change it up like Pink dog or green cat.
One final thought, when we make these books, I then send them home and in the back of each book is a parent comment page for them to write on. The kids love this and like revisiting this part when they read them throughout the year. I hope you can understand what I wrote here. You have a great idea sending them home at the end of the year and the other PP's gave great book ideas.
calecolts1 is offline   Reply With Quote

AddieJ

calecolts1
Old 06-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Nancy Carlson wrote "I Like Me!" - Good book!
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

cabanagirl

Happiness is....
Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We make this book after reading the book Happiness Is a Warm Puppy about Charlie Brown and his gang. Each student then writes and illustrates about what makes him/her happy. They come up with some pretty touching sentiments. There is also a very cute "Happiness Is" song on Itunes. I posted the words to the song on chart paper and we sang it as part of our morning meeting.

Here is the book link:

http://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Pupp.../dp/1933662077
cabanagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

IrvingEl

Old 06-23-2009, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't think I have seen this one yet...

We make a class book to Moonbear's Books This story is about all the different kinds of books that Moonbear likes. It uses very simply sentence that even beginning of the year first graders can picture read...Moonbear likes big books. Moonbear likes small books.

We talk about many different kinds of books and then make a class book...
_____________ likes _______________ books.

IrvingEl is offline   Reply With Quote

suzrob

!2 Days of Christmas
Old 06-24-2009, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

After reading several version of this song we made a book The 17 Days of Christmas. I had 16 students plus me. Each page had a prompt: On the ____ day of Christmas my Teacher gave to me _____________.
I di the 5th Day 5 great big hugs. We brainstormed things a teacher might give you such as sharpened pencils, extra recess, day of no homework etc. . . Each student picked on filled in the prompt and illustrated. We did it on long drawing paper so I couldn't make copies for each. Next year i am planning on doing it but on legal size paper so each can get a copy.
suzrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Malene

3 more books
Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our Class Interview book : We interview each child in the class by asking them questions. As a class we then write one paragraph about them. I paste a picture of each child on their page and print and bind. This is a favorite.

Our Book of Alliterations: We write an alliteration for each child (Mindy Mouse was munching marshmallows on the Moon), the child illustrates their page and we bind them together.

We Are Friends: After we read the story I Am Six in our reading book (HM) we write a class book following the same pattern. I take photos of the class as illustrations and put the students hand prints on the pages like in the original story. I then laminate the pages and bind it.
Malene is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher1st

Thank you from original poster
Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks so much for these wonderful ideas!
teacher1st is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHoney344

class books
Old 06-24-2009, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

*A-Z books for topics you're studying (ocean, rainforests)
* seasonal books (In the fall I hear, taste, see, smell, touch..)
*birthday books (each child takes home the book on their day)
*star of the week book (each child takes home and writes a page during their week)
*If I had Three Wishes
*Meet Me (all about me)
*Dear ____ (students write letters to class pet)
*Oh, The Places We've Gone (end of year, memories of ___ grade)
MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote

try2tch

Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Great ideas from all! Here's some we do:

You've Got the Cutest Little Baby Face-We do a unit on Very Hungry Caterpillar and we discuss changes in ourselves, then I get baby pictures of all the kids and compile them into a book. SEnd home the book along with a copy of the song.

BTS idea: Look who found a Friend At School- take pictures of kids working together. We like to _____________.

The ABC's of First Grade- A is for ________ . students draw pictures.

Read I Went Walking and do a book called We went Walking. I saw a ____.
try2tch is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Great Ideas!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I got a book binding machine from DonorsChoose this year and wanted to use it more next year. You have posted some great ideas for me to try! I can't wait to use them. I do a birthday book too. I got the file from PT. I'll try to remember to post it tomorrow after my class is over when I'm on my computer.

Thanks!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

tashagr3

Z was zapped
Old 06-24-2009, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This is a little more time consuming, but i read "the z was zapped" by Chris Van Allsburg then assigned each student a letter and we came up with ideas for each letter and they illustrated it. It turned out fantastic!!
tashagr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachcafe

We make a...
Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Class Expectations book at the beginning of the year. Each child illustrates a behavior expectation/routine as then I bind it together. We keep it in our timeout area so that when someone has to "think about their behavior" they can look through the book for reminders.

Keep the ideas coming!! I like to try to make enough class books that we can raffle them off at the end of the year. It gives the kids a souvenir from first grade!
iteachcafe is offline   Reply With Quote

cvolcteacher

Ten Black Dots by Donald Crews
Old 06-24-2009, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My teaching partner and I make a class book based on this famous book and have the kids take one large page home to complete. I do this in September when we review how to print numerals correctly. The kids bring their paper back the following week on their Show and Tell Day. Then we put them up in the hall as a bulletin board and finally make them into a class book. After that I have them make a small version of several pages for themselves.

When I introduce the idea, I show them only one page from Donald Crews' book, just to give them a sample. (I use the page with the snake on it... I think it's 7 black dots.) I send home a xeroxed copy of it as well with this letter to the parents:

Ten Black Dots

We have been practicing how to correctly print the number shapes 0 - 9. An excellent picture book that highlights numbers is TEN BLACK DOTS, written by Donald Crews. We'd like your help in making a class book based on the one by Donald Crews.

Each student has been given an envelope containing a number of dots. We are hoping that you will work with your child to help him/her come up with a picture that makes use of the particular number of dots that he/she has received.

Having the whole family do some brainstorming for “Things That are Round” or “Things That Have Holes” might be a good starting point. Have your child look around the house or outside to find possibilities. For example: Doorknobs are round and lace-up shoes have holes.

The artwork can be left entirely to your child or can be more of a family effort. Encourage your child to try and adjust the size of his her drawing so that good use is made of the large paper. Please fill in the appropriate wording to complete the page and have your child sign his/her name at the bottom. Please send the page back to school next week on your child's Show and Tell Day. Once all the pages have been returned to school we can assemble our book and then have a look at the ideas in Donald Crews’ book. We may think of the same things that he did!

After we have made the class book and examined Donald Crew’s ideas, each child will make their own smaller version of the book to add to their treasure box at home.

Thanks for your help!

Kerry (in BC)
cvolcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

wisteach

student treasures
Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

And don't forget to try www.studentreasures.com to have a book or two professionally bound for your classroom for free! You just have to send home order forms with your students, and you can get a hardcover to add to your classroom library - then your students REALLY feel like authors!
wisteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Caralala

What a great site!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Thank you for sharing this. I was thinking that it would be a great project for poetry month. Each student could contribute a poem. We could purchase copies of each class' book for the school library.
Caralala is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladybug03

Studentreasures is great...
Old 06-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My entire school (elem) does class books through Studentreasures Publishing every year. The books always turn out great! Give it a try!!! You will love the outcome!
Ladybug03 is offline   Reply With Quote

magee

class books
Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

These are all great ideas! I also do class books about field trips and other activities we are involved in, such as our Halloween party, Thanksgiving celebration, Holiday Celebrations and the visit we have from a dental health professional in February, etc. Also, at the end of the year, I start early, and have a parent take them all apart. The parent then puts them in order from start to finish and the kids make a cover for it. That way parents have a visual of the writing improvement they've made through the year which is a lot in first grade. They love it! I also have each child take a book home for a night or two by rotating it through the class as soon as each class book is finished!
Good luck!
magee is offline   Reply With Quote

spunky7777

Class Books
Old 07-11-2009, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

You've really inspired me to do more of these in the fall. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.
spunky7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
mjroc3

mjroc3

Stories for classrooms
Old 06-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I am doing the same this year... I want to have enough books for my class to all take 1 home each as a token of their first year at school.

So far I have done:

If I have one wish I would want...
I can...
I am special because...
My favourite food is...
An alphabet book 'A is for...'
I am a... (what they would turn themselves into. Some students became fairies, clowns or kangaroos)
We created a book about our families... "This is 'name's' family...
When I grow up...
My dream is...

Hope this helps!!