Math manipulatives for 5th grade - ProTeacher Community

Hideeho

Math manipulatives for 5th grade
Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be starting my 2nd year teaching intervention to 5th graders this fall. I finally got a regular sized classroom so I feel I can really do more of what I want to do now that I can spread out a little.

I teach students who need a little more help, but not sped students (although I will have a few). Previously I taught in primary where we used math manipulatives a lot. The manips I used belonged to the school/that grade level, so I had to leave them, so I have none.

Do you all still use math manipulatives with 5th graders?

What kind of manips do you feel you really must have?

What manips are on your wish list?

I am thinking about trying to get some supplies through donorschoose.

How do you store your manips? I used to store mine in plastic boxes a little larger than the shoe boxes and put them on shelves. We don't have much shelf space, so I may have to put them on the floor unless someone has ideas. We aren't allowed to bring in additional shelving

TIA!

Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

Beagles

Math Manipulative
Old 06-26-2009, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love teaching math! Since this is your second year teaching, you know your learning targets, so think from that perspective. What is your first unit? What manipulatives will help them achieve the targets? Do they need manipulatives for these targets? Sometimes in 5th grade, it's more effective if you can use UnitedStreaming's video or other interactive websites. Since most fifth graders have already used many manipulatives in the past, they might not need as much. But again, you need to know your students to make the determination.
Do you all still use math manipulatives with 5th graders?
Yes, when appropriate. Sometimes manipulatives are just distracting.
What kind of manips do you feel you really must have?
Depends of topic. I think I use manipulatives most in geometry.

What manips are on your wish list?
Not so much manipulatives but necessary tools will be:

ruler, protractor, compass, number tiles, playing cards, unit cubes, pattern blocks, tangrams, etc.
I am thinking about trying to get some supplies through donorschoose.
Can you borrow some of these manipulatives from primary teachers when you need them?
How do you store your manips? I used to store mine in plastic boxes a little larger than the shoe boxes and put them on shelves.

Same. The key is to have easy access (easy to see and easyto reach) for kids who need them.
Let me know if there's any way I can help!
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote

arstart

Virtual Math
Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

To go along with what the previous reply said, you might look at Brain Pop. It has a lot of stuff including math.
arstart is offline   Reply With Quote
DeAnna

DeAnna

Manipulatives
Old 06-27-2009, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just wanted to agree with the comments already posted but I do want to make sure that the most important interest is the use of manipulatives. As teachers, we must make each encounter memoriable. Manipulatives ensure that students have an experience in which they can relate, connect, and remember. Manipulatives are not only hands on but students can make connections. As a teacher, you can say, "Remember when we . . . ." The students will remember the experience and then you can make connections.

As a middle school math teacher, (6th, 7th, & 8th), I use manipulatives every way possible. I wish that my students had more experience with manipulatives before they came to me.

I am glad to hear that you are investigating the use of manipulatives. As teachers, we all should be asking how can I integrate manipulatives into my lesson today and not what lesson can I use this manipulative.

Good Luck!!

proudteacher5

I use manipulatives all the time!
Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use area tiles, gram squares, tangrams, base 10 blocks (great for teaching multiplication), pentominoes, cuisenaire rods, Soma Cubes, unifix and snap cubes, mirrors (and those plastic reflectors), dice, decks of cards, etc. I use pretty much any manipulative that's available.

I also have one of the Borenson Hands On Equations kits.

I've seen the Algeblocks being used in the middle school and would like to get some of those.

proudteacher5 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchr45th

yes yes yes at 5th
Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do math activities every Friday which relate to topics we are teaching. I use everything mentioned above, particularly emphasizing manips as tools to learn. I also use a lot of united streaming to compliment our lessons. We use enVision but their tech piece is in many cases very lame and is laughable compared to the technology these kids are used to.

i especially loved using algebra tiles-- those were $100 but you could easily substitute the tiles with red and black beads. The tiles were awesome teaching positive and negative integers.

When I moved to 5th I had nothng--zip-zero- nada. So I borrowed from primary--which is a lot cheaper if you are only going to use it two or three times as this stuff is expensive. I also try making art activities math activities. Measurement, shapes, etc. Brought in boxes to measure for surface area, cereal boxes for weight conversion, etc.
tchr45th is offline   Reply With Quote