Help

ARCHIVE

bathroom procedures

>

jcmcilwee

bathroom procedures
Old 08-15-2006, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

hi, i was just wondering if anyone has a specific bathroom procedure. i dont have bathrooms in my classroom, however they are right outside my room. we line up to use the bathroom, but it becomes a hassle. anyone have any specific bathroom procedures they use?

jcmcilwee is offline   Reply With Quote

Olivia79

bathroom
Old 08-15-2006, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a boy's and girl's pass hanging by the door. There is a signed out sheet located on a clipboard, which is on top of an empty desk. Students must check out and back in when they return. This helps me know if a student is in the bathroom during a firedrill. It is also a good source of documentation if a child is going too often.
Olivia79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilybook

Old 08-15-2006, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also have passes and have the students sign out. However this year I'm thinking of having stuffed animals instead of the passes (bathroom buddies). Students will place the buddy on the top of their desk when they leave and return it to its place when they return. That way I can look around and see who is missing in case of a fire drill. They will still sign out so I can keep track of who went and when.
Lilybook is offline   Reply With Quote

pumpkinpatch

Potty Time!
Old 08-15-2006, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My procedure is very similar to the 2 posts above mine. I typed out a pass for the girls and a pass for the boys and they each say "I am in the bathroom and I will be right back." They put it on their desk when they leave and sign out. They sign in when they get back. I have a little digital clock by the sign in-out sheet so they know what time it is.

Last year I had them quietly raise crossed fingers if they had to go so they didn't have to say out loud that they had to go, because we all know, they hear one person has to go and all of the sudden 10 more kids want to go. I would either nod or shake my head at the student raising their fingers to let them know if it was a good time to go or not.

I changed it to the sign out and sign in policy this year because I have a combo class and I have no time to be giving or not giving permission to go to the bathroom. They also get "fined" a "Behavior Buck" for leaving during class to go since recess should be used to use the bathroom.
pumpkinpatch is offline   Reply With Quote

jnd

bathroom procedures
Old 08-15-2006, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

PumpkinPatch,

I really like your bathroom procedures! I have been trying to come up with something easier and less time consuming. I really like the idea of having a small digital clock so they can record the time they leave and come back. That allows me to see how long they were gone, as some tend to play around while down there and I lose track of how long they have been gone. Thanks for the great ideas!

jnd is offline   Reply With Quote

marmar

Old 08-15-2006, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I write a list with everyones name on it. I put it by the door with a clothespin by it. The students put a clothespin by there name. I don't have them ask me to go. If someone is in the bathroom they just wait till the clothespin gets put back in its "home" position.
marmar is offline   Reply With Quote

imacacher

? for PumpkinPatch
Old 08-16-2006, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How many times a day do you have recess?? I'm just curious as to how often your children are allowed to use the rest room without being fined.
imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

pumpkinpatch

Recess
Old 08-16-2006, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have recess twice a day. Once in the morning 80 minutes after school starts, then another lunch recess 90 minutes later. School ends 2 hours after lunch so that is the stretch when most of the kids have to go. If you tell them in the beginning of the year they will learn to go during lunch recess. I let them go without fines during the first week so they get used to the idea, but from then on it is FINES FINES FINES. Otherwise they really won't learn. Rarely, but some parents complain because they will tell me their kids "have a small bladder." or are "prone to UTIs." and if that is the case I let them go without fines, but unless a parent contacts me about it I really don't change the rules. Class time is work time, not potty time, is what I tell the kids.

imacacher

Hmm--pumpkinpatch
Old 08-16-2006, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm surprised you don't have more parents that complain. I realize that it's a disruption when students have to leave, but I know that my parents wouldn't be happy if their child was being punished for having to use the restroom.

pumpkinpatch

Not a punishment.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think the school schedule is set up so there is plenty of time and enough opportunity for them to go and use the restroom outside of class time. I don't see it as punishment towards needing to use the bathroom, but as a reminder that they need to utilize the time given to them to go to the restroom when they are supposed to. It's time management. We all have to utilize our breaks for the same reason with our jobs as teachers. During recess we make copies, use the restroom, socialize a bit, and it's back to work. I take it as a part of my job to prepare them the best we can to be responsible no matter how young or early. Most parents agree with this. They want their children to utilize class time and learn everyday things like that. Once this is implemented most kids remember to go during recess and it's a non-issue. If they are sick etc. I obviously give them exceptions, but I believe it is a good rule to have.

imacacher

My Restroom Policy
Old 08-16-2006, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Pumpkin, the reason I viewed it as a punishment is because you said the students were losing a Behvior Buck--therefore, they are being punished.

Anyhow, I realized I never posted my own policy.

I use the sign language symbol for toilet (thumb between pointer and middle finger being shaken back and forth). WHen students need to go, they raise their hand and show me the symbol. I either nod, and hold up 2 fingers (they must be back in "two minutes), or shake my head. The only time I tell them no is when I am in the middle of giving directions for an activity. Otherwise, they are always allowed to go.

This year I bought hall passes at Target and I'll use those to keep "official" track--making sure only one girl and one boy are out at a time.

Mrs.EastCoast

Yes
Old 08-16-2006, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The children can sign out and go when they need to go. My philosophy is that not everyone has to go at the same time, so line-up is not something that works for me. Early on, we talk about responsible bathroom behavior and discuss expectations. We also make a pact withour custodians that we are going to do everything we can together to make their jobs easier, including in the maintaining of bathroom cleanliness and proper use. I also read Robert Munsch's I Have To Go!. We all take a walk down the bathroom, take a peek (it's a different one than in first), you know. Rarely do I have issues. When children repeatedly do not use the bathroom properly, they lose their privilege of being able to walk down their alone, a buddy has to go and wait outside for them.
Mrs.EastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.EastCoast

I agree w/ Triana ...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Pumpkin Patch, I have to say that I don't agree with your bathroom philosophy at all ... it's incredibly rigid. It seems to me that you can use far more proactive measures to ensure your students are not abusing their right to go to the bathroom. I drink a ton of water during the day ... I go probably four or five times before the day is out!! There are times where I've got to go, and the teacher next door opens her door and stands there till I get back. When you have to go, you have to go.
Mrs.EastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrmybiz

cursive practice
Old 08-16-2006, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm not sure if you guys start cursive in 2nd grade, but I am planning on using the BR as a cursive practice. I have a boys and girls pass hanging by the door. They flip these and on the back I have written "out" so kids know by a glance if someone is using bathroom or if they are free to go. Then by the passes I have a small dry erase board with "girls" and "boys" labeled in permanent ink. When they flip the pass to go they also write their name on the dry erase board in cursive and I can easily see who is out.
kidsrmybiz is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeChick

Old 08-16-2006, 10:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I used ot let one girl and one boy be out of the room at a time, but this year it will be one person. My bathroom pass is a magnet that clings to the door frame. If it is up...no one else will leave. I don't allow breaks when I am teaching or giving instructions. Once they are working independently, if they need to go, they may.
2ndGradeChick is offline   Reply With Quote

pumpkinpatch

Mrs. EastCoast Share your ideas!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

You gave me some great advice in your private message. I think it would be great if you shared them here! Thanks again for being so helpful.
JessieFO

JessieFO

Let the kids use the bathroom
Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I had advise to you, let the child use the bathroom if they need to. They won't abuse it, they are only 7! If you do not let the child use the restroom, serious consequences can happen to you from a parent!
JessieFO

JessieFO

I Agree
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I totally agree, you shouldn't use you administrative power over these innocent children. You are taking advantage of this and can get in serious trouble from the superintendent, if it ever gets back to her/him. I'd re think your status in life, and know that these kids have parents for a reason. Using the restroom is a human right, not a privilege!