Help

ARCHIVE

Teaching Weather for 3rd grade

>

2ndgradeteacher

Teaching Weather for 3rd grade
Old 08-15-2006, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm starting my science unit this year with the topic of weather for my third graders. My curriculum requires that I teach about clouds (different types, and how they connect to weather), the three stages of water (water cycle, types of precipitation, etc) and also weather data (making predictions, collecting data with weather tools and charting the data).

I've gathered up some different resources to help me plan, but I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas, files, tips, or even what worked or didn't work for you teaching this topic. I would appreciate anything you're able to share :-)

Thanks

2ndgradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

JKB

Water Cycle website
Old 08-15-2006, 11:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach the water cycle, too. This is a wonderful website that has posters that you can print, as well as information. Maybe it will help you, too!

http://www.kidzone.ws/water/

Have a great year! JKB
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndgradeteacher

Thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the site....Those posters are great. I can't wait to print a set and hang them in my weather corner. :-)
2ndgradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MaryMac

I teach weather too
Old 08-16-2006, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Weather was added to our 5th grade curriculum 3 years ago. Personally, I love weather and I couldn't understand why my kids found it to be very boring. Last year I tried somthing that really sparked their interest, at last! I made up weather prediction booklets for each student and I pulled up the weather channel on our classroom tv every day. The kids recorded each day's weather, including temp, precipitation, humidity, air pressure, wind speed and direction. (I think that is everything) Then we would go outside, everyday, to look at the clouds, this usually led to some conversation because there are often several types of clouds in the sky each day and they would record the cloud type. Then the kids recorded a prediction for the next day's weather. They would also draw a picture of the day's weather and write a summary about the weather. The kids loved it and really looked forward to doing this every day. I also heard from several parents about how their kids were so proud of their weather predicting abilities!

P.S. I got this idea and the booklet from a third grade teacher!
MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

What about...
Old 08-16-2006, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

having the students use cotton to recreate what the different clouds look like? They could spread it thin for cirrus, and clump them together for thunderclouds, etc.

SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mgf91280

Old 08-16-2006, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did a Weather Log almost identical to MaryMac. I made up a weather unit that included the weather log and the following:

Large (12X18") piece of construction paper folded hamburger way and stapled up the sides to form a pocket. This was our weather portfolio and stored the cloud flip book (see below).

On the outside of the portfolio, kids glued a blank photocopy of the U.S.A. After we studied weather (fronts, air pressure, etc.) students got to design their own weather report for the U.S. They had to make a color key to show the temperature variation, color the map, include one high pressure zone, low pressure zone, warm, cold, and stationary front, etc. I only required that it make sense. It really made them think! Then they presented their "Weather Report" to the class. I bought a large bulletin board weather set that they used while presenting their weather.

We made a flip book of cloud types. We used chalk to draw the clouds on colored construction paper, then sprayed the pages with aerosol hair spray to preserve the chalk. I have a worksheet with descriptions and illustrations of each cloud type, and we cut and glued those to the book pages to accompany our chalk drawings.

Mailbox Magazine has great resources for weather as well.
mgf91280 is offline   Reply With Quote