The Lightning Thief - ProTeacher Community

woo pig

The Lightning Thief
Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have to teach The Lightning Thief at school this year. Does anyone else have to do this? Would you have any suggestions for me, anything that you use, or good websites I could look at? Any help would be wonderful!

woo pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 06-28-2009, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just finished this book. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. It just seemed to have so many similarities to the Harry Potter books. I think in order for kids to get into this book you are going to have to teach a lot about Greek God and Goddesses. Otherwise it will go right over their heads. I think I would try to find possibly some picture books with myths in them or short stories. I saw some at Barnes and Noble displayed with the Lightning Thief. Your public library or school library should have some. I thought the book would be a perfect read aloud for sixth grade because they study Ancient Greek culture and some of the myths.
Sam5 is online now   Reply With Quote

cardinallady

The Lightning Thief
Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will be using this book this year as we will study gods and goddesses.
When I was searching a while back I came across this http://www.rickriordan.com/Teachers_...ning_Thief.pdf

I still have not gone through it so I'm not sure how usable it is, but at first glance it looks great.
cardinallady is offline   Reply With Quote

mathtch2

Old 06-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

go to the author's website. There is a HUGE study guide with activities. The kids LOVE this book!
mathtch2 is online now   Reply With Quote

hamato

you're lucky!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think this is a GREAT book and I have been so successful in getting reluctant/low readers interested in an author/ series w/ this book. I think this book would be great for character study, also story elements like plot, setting, etc. I think you and the kids will love it!

hamato is offline   Reply With Quote

A&W

Make A Family Tree
Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used this book about 2 years ago. And the students where in the higher level reading group. They had a lot of questions about who was related to who, and what type of powers did the gods have, ect. So I had them research and make a family tree from the Titans down to the lesser gods. They had a great time reading and researching.

The rest of the series is also a very good read. I think it will have 6-7 books total.
A&W is offline   Reply With Quote

Charl

DD loved it
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I haven't taught this book, but I have to say that my fifth grade DD Loved this book! She ended up reading all of Rick Riordan's books. I hope your class loves it also. Her teacher did do a unit on mythology. DD also loved that! Have fun.

Charl
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote

cardinallady

A&w
Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love the idea of doing a family tree. This would work great for me since I'm incorporating it into my history.
cardinallady is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Lightning Thief
Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have read all of the books in this series and enjoyed them--some more than others. I teach 3rd grade in Texas, and The Lightning Thief was a Bluebonnet Book for us a couple of years ago. That year I read it aloud to my kids. They loved it, but it's a bit tough for some to read on their own. I had one student who read all of them this year and really enjoyed them, but he told me that had we not already studied mythology in class before he started, he wouldn't have understood the books that well. He had just enough experience with the names of some of the characters from our mythology unit to be able to figure out the plot of The Lightning Thief. Therefore, I would recommend doing some preliminary teaching of gods and goddesses before beginning the book.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote