Interview for an Instructional Aide...help! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Interview for an Instructional Aide...help!

>

Miss Alex

Miss Alex

Interview for an Instructional Aide...help!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

As you can probably tell from this post, I have not landed a teaching job...yet. I just graduated in May 2006 and had 2 interviews and they were both a no-go. But I'm keeping my head up and thinking positive. I'm sure the right one will come along...if not this year...then there's always next year.

However, I'm interviewing tomorrow for a full-time instructional aide position with a GREAT district...Community Unit School District 200 (Wheaton) for those of you who live in IL. I am clueless as to what to expect! Yikes! I would think that it's a bit different than interviewing for a teaching position. Any ideas as to what questions are being posed? How should I prepare myself? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance! :-)

L T

Interview
Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Enter the interview with a sense of eagerness and excitement over the possibility of being with a great district. You also need to understand from the get-go that landing an aide position is your "foot in the door" for available teaching positions in the future. Consider a year or two as an aide an "extension" of your education, and tell your interviewer that you would appreciate the opportunity to see experienced teachers in action. Treat your interview as though this position would be perfect and what you want, and that you would give the position 110%. I speak from experience; one year ago I was filling a maternity leave, and then I was a part time assistant in my school's reading department. This year I have my own classroom.

Good Luck!
Terry
L T is offline   Reply With Quote
Miss Alex

Miss Alex

Thanks LT!
Old 08-17-2006, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's really great advice, LT. Thanks...I really appreciate it. I will definitely put my game face on and act as though this is my calling...my dream job.

Thanks again and the best of luck to you in the school year in your OWN classroom!!! :-)

L T

Let me know...
Old 08-17-2006, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Please post if you get the position. I'm rooting for you

Terry
Miss Alex

Miss Alex

Old 08-17-2006, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Aaaww....thanks LT! I actually got another call tonight about interviewing for another instructional assistant position in a different school district! Yikes! 2 phone calls from 2 different principals in one day! Whooaa!

I have one interview tomorrow in the afternoon and then the other one is on Monday morning. If it came down to it, I don't know which district I would go with. I'll have to ask many questions tomorrow and on Monday to see which one fits me best.

Thanks for rooting for me!!! Your cheers are greatly appreciated! :-)

Miss Alex

Miss Alex

I got the job!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good news Terry!!! I had my interview for the instructional assistant position on Friday and they hired me on the spot! I really enjoyed the interview because the principal and two other teachers were just so nice. I would love to work with such a great and supportive team! I'm very excited about it and can not wait to start!

However, I also have another interview for the same position, but in a different school district on Monday morning. I guess I'll see how that goes and take it from there. I will be having quite the dilemma if I get that job as well. Both of these school districts are excellent and the distance is the same. Hhhmm...but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Thanks again everyone and Terry for your advice, opinions, and support!

L T

Congratulations!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am so happy for you! Go on the interview tomorrow, and see what they have to offer.

Congratulations again!

Terry

Marivi

interview
Old 08-23-2006, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi Alex,
I just came across to your message which is related to what I am going through now. I will be having an interview for an instrutional assistant position next wednesday. I live in Virginia, which might be different than where you live. I am very happy you got the job. How did the interview go? I am wondering about it , any suggestion, recomendations or anything I should say or not say?
Thank You in advance,
Marivi is offline   Reply With Quote
claremont mom

claremont mom

aide interview
Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

i am in california and i have an interview on thursday for a rsp aide. i obviusly did not get the job. when i interviewed i totally was not prepared for the questions they asked... like.... what do u do if a teacher is disciplining a child in a way u don't agree with? who would you talk to the teacher or a higher authority? what are the correct answers to these tough questions??? anyone know? and what other questions have you come across?
Jdesrochers

Jdesrochers

Interview questions
Old 09-01-2008, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

As for "What would you do if a teacher disciplined a student and you didn't agree with it?", I would respond something like, "I would support the teacher in front of the class (after all, it's their classroom, and they have come up with a discipline plan that works for them). If I had a real issue with the way a situation was handled, I would approach the teacher after class and ask if I could share some observations I had made during class. I would give some constructive criticism- perhaps, instead of yelling at a student in front of the class, you could ask them to go out into the hall and have the class continue with their lesson while you go talk to them.'" If I still felt uncomfortable, I would then approach a supervisor and let them know of my feelings.
tumbledry

tumbledry

Ms. N
Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Fantastic reply! This happen with a teacher and SpEd aid where I work. The aid went to the AP with a complaint about something the teacher said to a student. It went back and forth between the three for 2 full days and now, at the end, the aid won't speek to the teacher and the teacher is angry with the aid for going above her without talking to her first. Makes for a VERY unpleasent classroom!

It should have been handled the way Jdesrochers described!!
Miss Stina

Miss Stina

Foot in the door??
Old 08-14-2009, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Miss Alex...

I noticed you posted about accepting an instructional aide position a few years ago... and I am familiar with District 200... very good schools.

I was wondering if it did help you to land a full time job with your own classroom? If so, how long did it take and was it in the same district?

I am intervieweing for a postion on Monday and I am wondering if it would be beneficial or disdvantageous to me.

Thanks so much!
bbclark

bbclark

teachers aide hopefull
Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Very EXCELLENT reply.... I have an interview on tuesday and I will DEFINATELY use that answer!
Kat in CA

Kat in CA

I regret taking an instructional aide job
Old 10-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

As a credentialed teacher who moved to another city, I took a full time instructional aide job when there were no full time classroom teaching jobs available. I regret doing this. The school was getting a bargain when they hired me, and never had any real incentive to hire me as a regular teacher.
Once I was seen as a classified employee willing to work for an aide's hourly rate, I never was seriously considered as a person to hire as a classroom teacher.
In spite of perfect performance reviews, I never got a job there, and the aide job did not prove to be a foot in the door.
My advice--- if you are credentialed, don't take a classified job as an aide. Hold out for what you are qualified for.
anneanne

anneanne

Congratulations!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

First of all, congrats on landing the position!

Second, my sister has an interview tomorrow for an instructional aide position in special education. I'm on the web looking for resources to help her out as she too has been in need of a job for some time now. I was wondering if you could respond with a few of the questions they asked during your interview? We both would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!
ciciblue

ciciblue

interview question
Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm currently subbing as an instructional aide. I have been told an opening is coming and they would like for me to apply but the interview process has me in a panic. The question of "what are my career goals as an instructional aide" has me worried for I have no answer for it. I don't have plans on going to school and becoming a teacher. I love helping children and would love to continue so can someone please help me. I thank you in advance.