getting rid of my desk - ProTeacher Community

hajski

getting rid of my desk
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my fourth year teaching 5th grade and I think they get bigger every year. I would like to replace my desk with my kidney table to free up quality space. I rarely use it and I spend more time organizing it then I do actually working at it. Does anyone have good ideas on how to organize the materials that are currently stored in my desk? (one drawer of student files, notepads, pens, stickers, etc) I have ample counter space, shelving, and cupboard space. Any suggestions on a caddy to keep nearby and what do you keep in it? I am struggling with ideas with everything else I am doing to prepare for the year. Thanks!!

hajski is offline   Reply With Quote

jyarrow

Old 08-17-2006, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish I had suggestions...I will be trying the same thing this year with my room...I agree about just organizing the desk instead of using it. Once I get back inot my room I will share anything that I come up with...
jyarrow is offline   Reply With Quote

jensw

2-drawer file cabinet?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How about a 2-drawer file cabinet? Put student files in one drawer and all your supplies in another drawer. You can get the plastic pencil boxes (like the 50cent ones at Walmart) to organize things. One for pens, one for notepads, one for stickers, etc. That's basically how I organize my desk anyway (has one file folder drawer and two regular drawers, where I keep my plastic pencil boxes).

I have such a tiny room that I'd love to get rid of my desk, too, but I also don't have any storage. So I really *need* that space.
jensw is offline   Reply With Quote

zeta apple

no more desk!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was thinking of doing the same thing this year. My plans are to use a table for a desk along with a 2 drawer filling cabinet and pull out drawer.
zeta apple is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Stacks of drawers
Old 08-17-2006, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

OfficeMax and other places have these little rolling stacks of drawers that might fit right under a kidney table (you would need to measure the height of the table). Mine are 26 1/2 inches high. At HobbyLobby, they have 3-drawer sets that are 15x15 and about 11 inches tall. Two of those stacked make good storage. The drawers are transparent and won't pull all the way out. Maybe that would work for you. You could even have 2 stacks of drawers under your table. One of them could be used to hold the materials you need for each subject THAT day.

Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

beth72

good idea
Old 08-17-2006, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like the idea of the drawers put under the table. I wondering if I could do that with a rectangular table I have in my room. It really would free up space!
beth72 is offline   Reply With Quote

kbbteacher

I have
Old 08-17-2006, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

mini 3 drawer organizers on top of my desk for pens, sharpies, scissors, and all of the other little stuff that I use...they don't take up a lot of space either, so they might be good for a table or a desk...I think a two drawer filing cabinet is good or you can get those filing boxes (plastic) as well...I personally love the rolling six drawer cart
kbbteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

K/1 Teacher

shoe caddies
Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A lot of my coworkers (and me starting this year) use those hanging shoe caddies...you know the ones with pockets to put the shoes in. We hang them on a wall and label each pocket - to say what's inside: stapler, staples, hole punches, note cards, pushpins, paperclips, rubberbands, post-its, etc. The one I have has 24 pockets so you can fit in a lot and only take up a bit of wall space. The rest of my stuff I fit onto shelves. A couple shelves for my professional books and binders. I also have a 2 drawer file cabinet. It's a little weird to not have a desk, but most of us never used them anyways! Good luck.
K/1 Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jane

No More Desk!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

FIve years ago I gave up my desk for more space in the classroom. I really feared I might miss it, but I didn't. I have the rolling drawers which I keep underneath the table. If need be, I can pull out the drawer with the varied daily needs: stapler, scissors, glue, markers, etc. and sit it right on the table. I have room to spread out after school as I do my planning and grading, and during the day I have a spot to work with small groups. A filing cabinet sits nearby with student records and teaching resources. The set-up is terrific. I would never go back to a desk.
jane is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher2

impressed
Old 08-17-2006, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am impressed by anyone who can pull this off. There is no way I would give up my desk. It sounds good for anyone who wants to though.
teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

JKB

Old 08-17-2006, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I still have my desk in my room, but I don't use it in a traditional way. Sure, the drawers are good for storage, but I use the top for a computer center that my children take AR tests with. If I spent 10 minutes in a day at my desk.....that would be a record!!

In addition to my desk, I have a small, round table with 4 chairs. I use this table for checking papers, planning, special projects, helping small groups, reading conferences, etc, etc, etc. This is the spot that you will find me, IF I get a chance to sit down.......and that is RARE, too!

On the flip side.....one of our Kindergarten teachers removed her desk and found that it was to her advantage. Seems like it would be ideal for some teachers.....hope it works out for you!

Have a great year! JKB
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Toni

A chart cabinet...
Old 08-18-2006, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

holds many of my desk supplies, and other materials. The top of the cabinet holds 2 file boxes & my laptop. I don't really miss the desk. I never really sat there--I just piled stuff on it! I have a kidney table for my workspace, but my commonly used items are in a basket. so they just get swept away when it's reading time, or if we need the space for centers & activities.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote

hajski

thank you
Old 08-19-2006, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks so much for all of the ideas. I barely used my desk last year and almost ditched it halfway through, but didn't have the time to really reorganize at that point. These ideas were great! I can't wait to get started with my room makeover on Monday. Good luck with this school year to all!!!
hajski is offline   Reply With Quote