Ocean theme behavior chart - ProTeacher Community

creeaitiv1

Ocean theme behavior chart
Old 07-03-2009, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, so as many teachers are, I am obsessed with changing up my theme each year and seeing how many different parts of the room I can tie into it. For my first couple of years (there have only been a few!) I did the standard apple theme. My behavior chart started with the Granny Smith (green) apple which meant perfect behavior, Fuji (yellow) for warning, Red Delicious for time out and the rotten apple meant talk with the principal. This year, I am doing an ocean theme. I was thinking like "Clear Waters" or "Coral Reef" for perfect, Murky Waters for warning and "In too Deep" for principal. I cannot think of a time-out type of water! Any ideas?

creeaitiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote

playpower

water
Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Tide pool? Sand bar? Anchor?
playpower is online now   Reply With Quote

arteacher6th

Maybe
Old 07-03-2009, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe you could use Big Waves or Tidal Waves and explain to students that big waves or tidal waves are dangerous and so is misbehavior.

Going to have to think on it. Check the archives for Ocean theme posts- there are lots of them.
arteacher6th is offline   Reply With Quote

MapleLeaves

Another idea
Old 07-03-2009, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like that your behavior plan, and sorry--I don't have an idea for you. But I thought I would post this here in case someone is looking for another ocean theme behavior plan.

My ocean theme behavior chart is called "Don't Flip Your Fish!" It works great for for 1st grade. And it is SIMPLE--that was my main concern with my class last year. Here's how it's set up:

You'll need small library pocket cards (labeled w/ student # or name)
Fish cut outs (with a different color on the back than on the front...I think mine are Carson Dellosa and they fit perfectly in the small size library pocket cards.)

Put the fish in the pockets all on the same side. If a student needs 2 reminders they have to flip their fish to the blue side (or the back side.) If a 3rd reminder is needed, you ask for their fish. You could even add a 4th step somehow...I didn't need to last year. Another title could be "Swimming with Good Behavior."

I wish I had a picture, although I don't think I can post pics yet. I hope that helps!
MapleLeaves is offline   Reply With Quote

creeaitiv1

Good ideas!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the help so far! You've given me so good stuff to think about! Maybe I will do "choppy waters" for a time out and explain that you have to STOP and take a time out because if you keep going, your boat will flip and you will sink. Thanks!!

creeaitiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote

oceankids

Colored fish
Old 07-03-2009, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like the "Don't flip your fish" idea. I had an ocean theme this past school year. I also had a stop light idea just like your apple idea, however, I had pictures of three different fish. Green had a big smile for Good behavior, Yellow has a straight face for warning and the Red fish had a mad face for time out or number on their calendar that is sent home. I put each of the pictures in a pocket chart is actually the KWL pocket chart that is green, yellow and red. I put all of the kids names on a fish and they would have to move their names if they needed to be spoken too excessively. Hope this helps! Good luck!
oceankids is offline   Reply With Quote

angelluv8778

How about
Old 07-03-2009, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"Fish out of Water" for timeout?
angelluv8778 is offline   Reply With Quote

ancientciv

Old 07-04-2009, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wading pool for time out? or "Beached" or "run aground"?

I'm using "Rough Waters" for warning.
ancientciv is offline   Reply With Quote

GatorLady

Old 07-04-2009, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also have a beach theme... For my behavior chart, I wanted something that did not take up a lot of space. I used a small traffic light that I purchased at a teacher store for about $3 (green= "Smooth Sailing", yellow= "Rough Waters", red= "Shipwrecked"). I attached it to a meter stick, which I cover with white butcher paper, and put it into a beach bucket with sea shells in it. I made a small blue background for water and added the title "Behavior Bay" with a couple of ocean animals in the water. I just used clothespins with the students' names on them to move.

Hope this helps someone!
GatorLady is offline   Reply With Quote

teachY

Behavior Chart
Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Does anybody have pictures of their Ocean themed behavior chart they can share?
teachY is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvsummer2

Behavior Chart
Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My behavior chart is titled "Star Students." I used those little pockets that you can buy and glued starfish cutouts on them. I put 5 different colored cards in each pocket (green, blue, yellow, orange and red). Each student has a pocket and if they get in trouble they have to move their card.
iluvsummer2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MapleLeaves

Old 07-22-2009, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'll be taking pictures this week (hopefully if I can get in) of my classroom and will be posting them. I'd love to share my behavior chart.
MapleLeaves is offline   Reply With Quote