Email from a parent..already! A good thing! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

Email from a parent..already! A good thing!

>

imacacher

Email from a parent..already! A good thing!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We don't get our class lists until Monday, and our kids don't come back until the 28th.

Our "welcome back" letters are mailed out by our secretaries--we write the letters, stuff the envelopes, but then the labels are put on because our class lists are top secret until Monday ( ).

Anyhow, I checked my school email this morning and saw that I already had an email from a parent. I was dreading opening it...they are contacting me already--this can't be good!

BOY WAS I PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!

The parent wanted me to know that she couldn't come to my meet the teacher night because her older child was also having orientation and it would be his first experience in a new school. So, since she and her husband couldn't make it, her mom (the little girls grandma!) is going to come to listen to my presentation and get all the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She also told me that her daughter did kartwheels when she got my letter because she was so excited to have me and that she couldn't wait to meet me and find out what she could do to volunteer in our room.

WOW! What a way to start the year on a positive note!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

musicbug

Yay!!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hope you continue to have wonderful families contact you.
musicbug is offline   Reply With Quote

beachteach

wow
Old 08-18-2006, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is awesome!!!! What a wonderful way to start off the year.
beachteach is offline   Reply With Quote

imacacher

Thanks for letting me share!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I guess I should have added that while this may not be too terribly unusual for some of you, this doesn't happen too often in our school.

I usually have about 2-3 REALLY supportive parents, about 1/2 who are supportive, but distant, and the other 1/2 just don't care about school.

It was great to see that this year is starting out well!
imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

JKB

Terrific!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Getting a positive email right from the start is TERRIFIC! It truly does start your year positively, as well!

The one thing I don't understand is "why all the secrecy" with your classlist? I got mine in June for this fall! The children do not know who their teachers will be, but the teachers do know who their children will be! Of course, it is subject to changes with children moving in or moving out, but I still have a general idea how many children I have.

One important advantage of knowing before summer is that you can educate yourself if you know you have children with unique needs coming your way. For example, two years ago, I knew in June that I was going to have an autistic child in my class that fall. Believe me, I read all I could find about autism, so that I could be more informed. I was a bit leary working with him, since I didn't have much prior experience in that area. However, it turned out that he was great kid! (In fact, I had him TWO years in a row, by my choice! The first year, I had him for third grade, and the second year I had him in my 3rd/4th grade split.)

Oops......guess I got a bit off the subject! Glad to hear you got a wonderful email! Have a great year! JKB

JKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Brooke S.

class list
Old 08-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was wondering why the students find out who their teacher is before the teacher finds out who the students are???

Our class lists are top secret also until the first day of preplanning which is exactly one week before school starts. It drives me crazy, but I work at an affluent school and the parents would probably drive the principal and office staff crazy if they knew who their teacher was sooner...that would want teacher changes...some of the parents are crazy.
Brooke S. is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb203

trianna
Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Happy for you . Family support is so important. And it's nice to know that you're wanted.
mrsb203 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

good idea
Old 08-19-2006, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I noticed on the registration sheets that more people are putting emails so I think I will send a special note out to my parents asking if they would like to recieve email school notes plus I will do the traditonal thing too. That way I have made a contact twice.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote