First day...getting to know the teacher?? - ProTeacher Community

madiouch

First day...getting to know the teacher??
Old 08-18-2006, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Helpppp!!! I'm looking for some creative ideas for the first day of school. I usually have a true/false quiz on the student's desk when they walk in with questions about me. That is what I use to introduce myself on the first day of school. It works great, but there is a small problem. This year I'm teaching a 3/4 combo class. Last year I taught 3rd grade and I will have some of the same students as I did last year. The quiz will not work, as those kids have already done it.

Please help with any creative, fun, and interesting ways to introduce myself to my new kids...while giving my old kids some new information about me at the same time.

Thanks for the help!!!

madiouch is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteach

True/false
Old 08-18-2006, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Could you send me the true false test you give your kids? I know the material won't be the same, but it would give me a place to start with my own questions. Thanks. I will post some ideas when my head is more clear.
NCteach is offline   Reply With Quote

5thGrdTeachTN

Old 08-19-2006, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One year I brought in several items that I felt represented me (a running shoe because I am a runner, a framed photo of my family, a sweatshirt from my college, a cd because I love music, etc.). I then put the kids into cooperative groups and they had to draw a conclusion about me based on each object. They rotated through the objects and wrote their responses on an index card. When they had rotated through all of the stations, they shared they conclusions. It was fun to see what they came up with AND it gave me some insight into their deductive reasoning skills. Have a great first day!
5thGrdTeachTN is offline   Reply With Quote

jodiereed

Questions
Old 08-19-2006, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I leave a slip of paper on their desk and they may ask me 3 questions. These can be school related about the upcoming year, something they see in the classroom, or questions about me.
jodiereed is offline   Reply With Quote

madiouch

true/false quiz
Old 08-19-2006, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would love to send you the quiz, but I need your email address. I'm new to the board and haven't figured out how to post an attachment. One of the statements I have on the quiz is: Ms. D was always sent to the corner for talking too much when she was in kindergarten. The answer to that question is true, but the kids always think it is false...when we go over the quiz, I get to explain the situation to the kids, tell them I know where they're coming from, and what my expectations of them are. It's best to use those types of questions, because it gets the discussion going and lets the kids see that you are human. Like I said, I'd be happy to send you the actual quiz, but I need an email address.
Have fun,
Maria

madiouch is offline   Reply With Quote
GraceK

GraceK

Old 08-19-2006, 11:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

5th grade teach, I love that! I had all these plans and didn't end up doing any of them for the first day of school! ugh

mjh96

Two Truths and a Lie
Old 08-20-2006, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A friend of mine suggested this game a few years ago...always good for some laughs on the 1st day. I go first and tell them three things about myself, two of which are true and one of which is a "lie". The kids then guess which is the lie. I always throw in something unusual/unexpected about myself, to throw them off. Last year I included, "I know how to tap dance," and everyone thought that was the lie!
Then, I give the kids index cards, and it's their turn to write three statements about themselves. They read them to the class, and the class tries to guess the lie.
mjh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Vdicarlo

Vdicarlo

Re:Quiz
Old 08-22-2006, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi. I like the idea of yur quiz and would like a copy also. My eamil address is bdicarlo1@msn.com. Thanks in advance! Valarie