Help

ARCHIVE

Me bags

>

mrsb5

Me bags
Old 08-19-2006, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone send home a brown paper bag the first week of school and have the kids fill it with things so that they can share about themselves?

I am interested in doing somethng like this, but don't know what to put on the directions page.

Can anyone help me?

mrsb5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaryMac

What I do
Old 08-19-2006, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bring in a bag of my own on the first day of school. I share the contents with the kids and tell them about me. Then I just tell them to take their bag home and fill it with items to share with the class. This has worked for me for the past 6 years and I have never written out directions for the kids.
MaryMac is online now   Reply With Quote

5thGrdTeachTN

Old 08-19-2006, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done me bags before, but couldn't find my directions. So I did a google search for Me Bags and found this sheet of directions:

http://staffweb.peoriaud.k12.az.us/T...22me%20bags%22

If the link doesn't work just type "me bags" into the google search engine and it was the 6th one down the page called "There are some rules to follow". It's a really cute set of directions. Enjoy!
5thGrdTeachTN is offline   Reply With Quote

RamonaQ

Mystery Bags
Old 08-19-2006, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We give students Mystery Bags to fill with 3 items that tell us about themselves. We give the Mystery Bags out at Open House, which is before the first day of school, and the students bring them back on the first day or sometime during the first week. During the first week, students share one item with the whole group and the other two items in groups. Then I clear off space on a long rectangular table and we make a Me Museum. The students write about their items on an index card put them on display on the table for the whole first week.
RamonaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. R

Old 08-19-2006, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My team does Me Bags. I've attached our directions below (for some reason the cute pic won't load with the text-it's usually looks nicer than this), but I like the directions found by 5thGrdTeachTN. Maybe we'll modify those for this year instead. We do emphasize not picking an object because it's cool or you like it a lot. It needs to tell something about you. It helps to model your own Me Bag before you send the assignment home.

One thing I've done as a follow-up is to have children write riddle books about themselves using a photo of the objects in the me bag on the cover. Clues inside might be: I like to swim, I am an animal lover, I collect baseball cards, Who am I? Put a photo of the child on the last page as the answer. I teach first grade so the clues are pretty simple and I usually steer them toward using some of the words we have on the word wall. It's actually a good word wall lesson.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Me Bag Word.doc (24.5 KB, 1776 views)
Mrs. R is offline   Reply With Quote

Nicholettev

Brown Bag It!
Old 08-19-2006, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I call my Me Bag, Brown Bag It. Not sure when or where I got that title from, but I have used some form of a Me Bag all 11 years I have taught and in all different grades. Kids love it!

I still can't figure out how to do an attachment, so feel free to e-mail me and I will send you my letter I send home.

Smiles,
Nicholettev@hotmail.com
Nicholettev is offline   Reply With Quote

FischerTeach

Me Bags
Old 08-19-2006, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do this every year. On the first day of school, I bring in my Me Bag to share with the class. I model for them how to present their bag. Then, as homework for the first night, I assign the assignment by giving them the following poem.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Me Bag.doc (25.0 KB, 1591 views)
FischerTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb5

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

These are the exact things I was looking for!!
mrsb5 is offline   Reply With Quote

tbsrwilson

Me Bags
Old 08-19-2006, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Here is a copy of the form I send home. I did not make it myself. It is just one that I had saved in my files.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ME Bag.pdf (44.3 KB, 1468 views)
tbsrwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

tbsrwilson

Me Bags
Old 08-19-2006, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Too funny! I justm realized that someone posted a link to my Me Bag page. Sorry for the double post.

Teresa

I have done me bags before, but couldn't find my directions. So I did a google search for Me Bags and found this sheet of directions:

http://staffweb.peoriaud.k12.az.us/T...22me%20bags%22

If the link doesn't work just type "me bags" into the google search engine and it was the 6th one down the page called "There are some rules to follow". It's a really cute set of directions. Enjoy!
tbsrwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

mjh96

me bags
Old 08-20-2006, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I also use Me Bags...I send the directions and a brown lunch-size bag with the letter I mail to my kids in August. I ask them to bring the bag with them on the 1st day of school. I ask that they only include 2 things, and choose things that will help them tell us something about themselves. (I tried 5 things one year, and it took TOO LONG to get through all of the kids...I average about 24 kids, so two things is the perfect amount of time!) I also spread out the sharing over the first 2-3 days, that way the kids don't get antsy listening to too many kids one after the other.
I love the me bags--you usually find out some interesting info about your kids!
mjh96 is offline   Reply With Quote

tcheer9

Pix
Old 08-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I noticed you had a person picture with your post.. I uploaded one.. but it doesnt show on my replys.. any ideas why?
tcheer9 is offline   Reply With Quote

deb603

Old 08-05-2007, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

So funny, I was just finishing the letter for me bags that I send to the kids over the summer. I had to change it a bit this year because I'm looping. But I suggested things like the wrapper of your fav. candy bar, something in your fav. color, fav. book. I've been doing it for about 15 years and it's always a great way to get to know the kids!
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote