Rewards for students - ProTeacher Community

Bev

Rewards for students
Old 08-19-2006, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need help! We may no longer give out candy as rewards in our school. Besides stickers, does anyone have suggestions for low cost rewards for my students? When we play educational games I used to give each person on a team a piece of candy. I already use Oriental Trading Company for more expensive prizes. I know about special privileges I could give, but I already have line leaders, and different jobs on a rotation basis. Any help you have for me will be appreciated.

Bev is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Rewards
Old 08-19-2006, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No homework slip
Chair cushion for a day
Write in pen for a day
Use changable markers
Sit in teacher chair for a class
Lunch/Recess with the teacher
Read to a younger grade
Good phone call/note home
Extra computer time
Choose a treasure from the treasure chest

I would write these on paper and put them in a bag or box. When a student earns a reward they can blindly pick out a card and they get that prize.

I usually fill my treasure chest with toys from Kid's Meals, toys from the party section at discount stores (things come in multi-packs), dollar store toys (multi-packs), Wal-Mart has a toy section that sells things for 88 cents. Often times there are multi-packs there as well!

I hope this was helpful. We just adopted the No Candy rule this year as well. I tried not to give out candy before, but now I can't even do educational activities that involve sweets! I used to do two or three a year.
Socks is online now   Reply With Quote

teach03

passes
Old 08-19-2006, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I give out passes for different privileges. Here are the ones I can think of right now:
no homework pass
sit in the teacher's chair for one day
10 minutes of computer time
a ticket for a drawing on Friday
eat lunch with the teacher
spend a recess with the teacher
paper passer for a day
teach03 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb203

no food
Old 08-19-2006, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

we haven't been told about this yet, but I have a feeling when school starts they are going to try and encourage it. SO I better stock up on non-food ideas
mrsb203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ttam

Other food items?
Old 08-20-2006, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How about other food items like goldfish, pretzel nuggets, cereal? Those small 3 ounce cups are cheap and they can fill one of those.

Ttam is offline   Reply With Quote

isellabrate

Rewards
Old 08-20-2006, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have some of the rewards that others have listed. I have a little "file box" with tabs, and have tiny files set up for the rewards. The student gets to select their reward.

I also give out:
*pass to sit with a friend for a lesson
*drawing time
*read in the hall (that's a big privilege, given only when the door is open and the child is where I can see her/him
*visit another classroom (with the teacher's permission)
*Halfsies -- The child gets to do only half of the practice problems or other assignment. (I choose which things have to be done.)
*Get out of trouble" card. This is a kind of joke, but the kids love to have it, just in case. The children who select it, never seem to need it.
isellabrate is offline   Reply With Quote
New Member PM

dewey
New Member PM

fancy straws
Old 08-20-2006, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One idea that I didn't see posted that I use is fancy straws that you can buy at Party City (I think). I bought a bunch last year and use them as rewards or special treats. The ones that I have are sparkley but I also have used curvy ones too. The students take them to the lunchroom and use them to drink their milk or juice. OUr school is "sugar free" as well this year so we are having to come up with new rewards.

Oh, one other idea is pom-poms. You can find the ones with sparkles in them. I have the students collect them in their desks (ziplock bag) and save them up to make pictures, etc. They love pom-poms and pipe cleaners!! Hope this helps! Dewey
dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
nanc

nanc

rewards
Old 08-21-2006, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I bought 20 foreign coins for $1.00 at a local coin shop... I bought $10. worth that should last quite a while. I've also done those little stones that you can buy a bagful for a couple of dollars. At least this way, it's something the kids might keep.

Bev

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-21-2006, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You guys are great! Thanks for taking time from your busy schedules to help me with ideas. It makes a difference to know that you have tried these out on your students. I wanted to find ideas that would be fun for my group. I love this ProTeacher website!
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote

Blueyes

Rewards
Old 07-17-2007, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been teaching first grade for 28 years. I have been reassigned to third, so I gave away all my treasure chest prizes. What kind of rewards do third graders like?
Blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

rewards
Old 07-17-2007, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Just wanted to mention that my first graders really love a sticker used as a badge, or a stamp on their hand as rewards. Also, they feel getting to choose your own sticker is better than the teacher picking it out. I also use the marble jar for individual praise ("Great printing! Put a marble in the jar!") and then when the jar is full the whole class gets a reward, like extra recess, extra art class, sugarless gum day, baking, visiting another class, etc.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote