Desk seating arrangements - ProTeacher Community

blesstee

Desk seating arrangements
Old 07-12-2009, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some suggestions.... This year will be my first year having desks for my students after having them sit at tables for the past five years. What are some effective ways to arrange desks in a second grade classroom? If you have pictures that will be great to see visually also. Thanks!

blesstee is offline   Reply With Quote

NYshopgirl

What i do...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do groups of 4 (32 total students- so 8 total groups -YIKES!) I am lucky to have a large classroom at least, or else I would put them in groups of 6 or more.

With the 4, I do 2 kids facing each other, and 2 kids facing the board. Kinda hard to explain, but if you're not sure what I mean let me know and I can clarify.
NYshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherTim

TeacherTim

Old 07-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do the groups of 4, but don't always like that arrangement.

I REALLY like the hoseshoe or U. Basically have a back row and the sides going up looking like a U ~ sometimes I need to place a student or two on the inside of the U, but it works well!

I also like rows where the desks are pushed together in rows of 3 or 4 such as ~~

---- --- ----
--- ---- ---

and I follow that pattern in the back until I have all kids in lines.

glad2bme

Portable plan
Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had individual desks when I was in a portable classroom. I had groups of 4, with the students' sides to the front of the room. So--everyone either had to look sideways or turn their chairs.

I like the flexibility of desks. I never had a U shape--but I liked the room of the teacher who did.
glad2bme is offline   Reply With Quote

read2kids

grouping desks
Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like the flexibility of desks too. I usually do 5 groups of six around the outside edge of the group meeting carpet, but sometimes I do 3 groups of 10 when I am feeling claustrophobic. Last year I ended up with 4 groups of 5 or 6 on the sides of the carpet and 6 individuals sitting separately at the back of the carpet.

read2kids is offline   Reply With Quote

shopperc

Horseshoe
Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I second the horseshoe. Love it! The large space in the middle is ideal for a meeting place. I leave my seating arrangement this way all year long.
shopperc is offline   Reply With Quote

birdscatsdogs

seat arrangement
Old 07-13-2009, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love the U shape. I was in a model classroom (trailer) for years and was even able to adapt the U to fit the narrow size of my classroom. I had two groups of 8 on each end.

I like the U because all the students can see each other for class discussions and the inner part of the U allows floor space for all the kids to come to the floor for closer instruction.
birdscatsdogs is offline   Reply With Quote

mlr42002

Old 07-13-2009, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I move around a lot. I have done groups of 6 or the horseshoe. I have also done the rows of like on each side facing each other. A lot depends on the kids and how chatty they are.
mlr42002 is offline   Reply With Quote

dite

Seating Arrangement
Old 07-14-2009, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have tried many different desk arrangements. I find the groups of 4-6 to be too chatty and some students need to turn in the seats in order to see. Lining the desks side-by-side in groups of 2-4 works, but for the last several years I have used the U shape. It keeps chatting to a minimum, everyone can see, and I can see what everyone is doing.
Many teachers at my school use the groups of 4-6 because they think it works best for group work. I let my students move around the room for group work.
You should probably experiment to see which arrangement works best for you.
dite is offline   Reply With Quote

marmar

Old 07-14-2009, 11:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I also use a "u" shape for my desks. I find it helpful for the kids to be able to see each other, the board and me easily. Plus, the middle of the U on the floor is where my rug is for read alouds.
marmar is offline   Reply With Quote

linday121

Old 07-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I also used the u shape in both fifth grade and third grade. It really forces most students to focus. I always find that groups tend to get very chatty.

I'm on maternity leave until November so I'm going to let my sub set up the desks however she likes and then I will probably put them into a u formation shortly after I return.
linday121 is offline   Reply With Quote