First Day of Pre-K - ProTeacher Community

L3teach

First Day of Pre-K
Old 07-12-2009, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been thinking about what all I need to cover the first day of school... I don't want to forget anything!!

So far I have come up with the following:
-Welcome to Pre-K
-Go over procedures (going to bathroom; walking in hall; signal for stopping and listening, different areas in the room, what to do when you come into classroom; what we do when we get ready to leave school; how to line up; starting with basics like how use crayons, hold books, etc..... anything else that I need here that is really important for pre-k procedures??)
-How we treat eachother- classroom promise (rules we will follow)
- maybe the kissing hand??
- Reading chicka chicka boom boom and introducing the tree we will use throughout the year (because it is a major part of our beach theme this year)

Is there anything else that I should add to this?
Thanks!

L3teach is offline   Reply With Quote

vic

Old 07-12-2009, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How long do you have them the first day?

I think the list you have is good as going over the routines is the most important the first week or two. you will probably go over the procedures and rules and how to use everything what seems like a million times the first few weeks..

The Kissing Hand is a great first day book...I always read the story and we talk about how it is okay to miss our family and then I put a heart stamp in their hand that they can look at all day..

What type of activities are you doing for the welcome..I would suggest some type of getting to know you name activity or maybe have the kids tell favorite color or if they have and siblings or pets at home..or favorite activity I always on the first day have them all stand in a circle and we introduce our selves and then we greet everyone..If the child does not want to say their name that is okay. Iwill introduce them and then we will greet

If you are doing another story like the Kissing Hand I would maybe wait a day or two before introducing the tree as it will take them time to understand the routines etc.

You have a great grasp on what you will cover..good luck Is this your first time teaching PreK?
vic is offline   Reply With Quote

Jerebo

Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The Kissing Hand is a wonderful book. When I worked at a preschool, one of the teachers read the Kissing Hand. There are so many great activities to go along with it. Along with the heart stamp, I have also seen teachers have their students trace and cut out their hand on a piece of paper and place a heart sticker at the center of it and on the backside of the hand is this poem:

A piece of me I give to you,
This special heart because
"I love you."
This heart is you, the hand is me,
It shows that we are
A Family.

Or another poem that relates to The Kissing Hand.

Jerebo is offline   Reply With Quote

happytosub

Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I usually include songs and activities that help us all learn each other's names.
happytosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

We get to know each other.....
Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a little bumblebee beanie baby that we pass around the circle. To the child who's holding the bee, we chant, "Bumblebee, bumblebee, tell us your name. Say it real loud and we'll do the same!" The child says his/her name, and we repeat it.

The next day, we send the bumblebee around the circle and ask each child to tell us something -- like their favorite color.

We do this for WEEKS. It really helps them learn everyone's names, and learn to wait for their turn to talk.

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Amythyst

Old 07-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ruby07, I really like that idea.
Amythyst is offline   Reply With Quote

BarnieB3

First Day of Preschool
Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Rubyo7,
Cute idea I will take your suggestion to do continue Bumblebee for weeks. I'm a Head Start teacher and have 32 children 2 sessions plus partents names to learn.
Thanks and God Bless
gospelcharlie
BarnieB3 is offline   Reply With Quote

mabsab

L3teach ~ Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

L3teach
Do you have a picture of your Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree? I'm wanting to make one (or buy one), but not sure what it would look like. How are you planning on using it?
mabsab is offline   Reply With Quote

Awesome4s

Ruby07
Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

wow, ruby I do the same thing but never thought to have a beanie bumblebee. Your so CLever!!!!
I use a small finger puppet bee that I receive from a cereal box!
Awesome4s is offline   Reply With Quote

L3teach

Tree picture
Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Mabsab,
I actually have not made my tree yet! I need to get started on it. Here is a link that I have used to get an idea of how to make one...

http://www.kinderthemes.com/chickaboomtree.html

Hope this helps!
L3teach is offline   Reply With Quote
yolanda

yolanda

Old 08-08-2009, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use an inflatable tree from a hawaiian luau place plastic self stick letters
Amanda:UPK

Amanda:UPK

UPK teacher
Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That ia great tree! Here is another idea for making a smaller one. I saw a cute idea...I can't remember the site though. The teacher took two large metal coffee cans, taped them together (with the top can open side up) and covered them in woodgrain contact paper. She then bought a fake fern plant and placed it inside of the cans to represent the top of the tree. Her student used magnetic letters that would stick to the side of the can during center time! I am in the process of making one now! Hope this helps!