ARCHIVE

Ideas to Focus Their Attention

>

Kerri

Kerri

Ideas to Focus Their Attention
Old 08-20-2006, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I came across this idea in Family Fun magazine and I decided to try it this year with my students.

I created a Native American Talking Stick. I used a dowel and wrapped different colored suede laces around it. I attached rabbit fur, feathers, and beads. I printed out some info on the talking stick from the internet.

Here's how it works: Students sit in a circle. The talking stick is passed around. You are only allowed to talk if you are holding the stick. Everyone else must remain silent and respectful.

I plan on explaining the origin and meaning of the talking stick.

I thought that maybe by using this mystical, magical tool from the Native peoples, my students would learn how to be better listeners.

If someone has a question/ response to the speaker, they hold up an Answering Feather.

I'll let you know how this works out.

Any other tricks of the trade for getting students to behave?

EWEAVER

EWEAVER

It works
Old 08-21-2006, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have seen this method used in several different classrooms. During my internship, the teacher used a feather rather than a stick. It works for all ages as well. I think your students will love it!

lapalms

Old 08-21-2006, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have heard of this done with a rock.
lapalms is offline   Reply With Quote

HeatherBee

I like it!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That sounds like an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing it! I think I'm going to try it when my kids come back to school next week. Are there any children's literature books that go along with it?
HeatherBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Kerri

Kerri

I don't know of any books, but
Old 08-21-2006, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I typed talking stick into Google and got a few hits about the origin and symbolism.

glueyfingers

Old 08-22-2006, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That sounds like the Lord of the Flies "conch shell"! When my friends and I had to read that in high school we would jokingly say, "I have the conch shell now, it's my turn to talk!"
glueyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Shari

Peace Table
Old 08-25-2006, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The concept is similar to the Peace Table. Some Peace Tables use a rock, others use a baton, or something else. This type of conflict resolution is common in Montessori method schools. A stone with the word Peace written on it is common.

Peace Education
It is said that education is the best weapon for peace on earth. We teach children to problem solve, practice peaceful conflict resolution, and to express themselves appropriately. We instill respect for mankind and our mother earth. Every classroom is set up with a peace table where children are welcomed to explore alone or to discuss a particular incident with a classmate. http://www.aycma.com/extra_curricular.asp

http://www.songsforteaching.com/paul...peacetable.htm Song for teaching use of the Peace Table for conflict resolution.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote