ARCHIVE

ELL Students--Any suggestions?

>

imacacher

ELL Students--Any suggestions?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!

We just got our class lists today. I have 25 second grade students and 6 of them are ELL students. Three of them are only being "monitored" while the other 3 will have ESL instruction for an hour each day.

Two are new to our school and we don't have much background info on them yet.

My students are from Bosnia, China, Vietnam, and Zambia. Our ESL teacher is wonderful and I know she will be supportive, but I don't have any experience in working with ELL students in the classroom, though I did volunteer in an ESL classroom while in college.

My students will be gone for 60 of my 160 minutes for Language Arts, but they will still be with me for an hour and 40 minutes.

Any suggestions from those of you who have been in a similar situation??

THANKS!

imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

desertreader

Old 08-21-2006, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow. Do you have any other students in your class that can speak those languages to help? Start with classroom words and use pictures a lot! Label everything in your classroom so they start seeing the words with the object. You may want to have them start their own English dictionary where they draw their own picture and write the English word next to it. If there aren't students who can translate using pictures will be your best best. In the beginning they will mostly be developing oral language. Send home books with a lot of word/picture correlation and have them practice in class as well. Just don't be worried if they are very quiet. They are absorbing more language that you even realize. They will pick up a lot from their classmates too. I have a few students who did not speak any English (from Mexico), but 99% of my class could translate, which helped a lot. Good luck! It will be challenging, but very rewarding when you see evidence of learning.
desertreader is offline   Reply With Quote

lapalms

Old 08-21-2006, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm rather new to the site. I have 7 ELL students out of 26 first grade students this year. This is my first year to have ELL. Our ELL teacher takes students out for 30 minutes. Only 1 out of the 7 students can not speak english. THanks desertreader for the input.
lapalms is offline   Reply With Quote

Emily4th

ELL strategies
Old 08-21-2006, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have just done some research on this very topic as I am going to be having 7 ELL's starting next week. Some of the key ideas I will be using are: Readers' Theatre to improve fluency and comprehension, graphic organizers, labeling, picture dictionaries, and a word wall (I am 4th grade, so this is not the norm at my grade level).
Emily4th is offline   Reply With Quote

imacacher

Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks! It also helps to know I"m not alone in this boat!

No one speaks there native language. Not the other students or any of the teachers or administrators. We do have the use of a translator for Open House and parent/teacher conferences. Otherwise, we're on our own.

I hope to have a chance on Wednesday to review their files. Like I said, 3 "tested out" so they should be functioning/speaking/reading fairly well, but will still need adaptations.

I realized that I should be labeling all the objects in my room--not the norm for me.

I always use a word wall, but it's just words, not pictures, so that may pose a problem.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote