community snack parent letter - ProTeacher Community

barngirl

community snack parent letter
Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All~
I am looking for a letter to parents explaining community snacks. Does anyone have one that I could look at? Thanks

barngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kbbteacher

Mine is on my school computer
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but here is the gist of what I put in my letter...

I tell them their child will have 1 snack day a month in which they should provide a small snack for the class. The snack should be light and healthy. I then give some suggestions. I also mention that the snack should be pre-prepared. Sweet treats can be brought in for birthday celebrations but not for a regular snack day. I give them a snack calendar to let them know their child's day and to call if they want to switch or have questions or concerns.

In the past I have sent home a letter simply asking for snack donations, but I didn't like this, because it ended up being the same handful of families donating snack. I felt uncomfortable asking them all the time.

The way that I do it now works well because it allows the families to plan ahead, and I always have back-up snacks for those families that cannot afford it.

I hope this helps!
kbbteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

mine is similar....
Old 07-16-2009, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mine is similar to the pp, but I ask that all snacks be sent to school on the Monday of their designated week. So instead of giving each child ONE DAY, I assign 5 families per week, and all of the snacks come in on Monday.

This way, I'm never stuck with no snack. If someone forgets on Monday, I still have 4 snacks, and I can send a reminder home with the one who forgot.

I've been doing it this way for 20 years..........works for me!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

ladyt9903

Snack Letter
Old 07-16-2009, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here is my snack letter.
Attached Files
File Type: doc snack.doc (93.0 KB, 459 views)
ladyt9903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smurfyteach

Why do this?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't quite understand. If the children are hungry sure, but why doesn't EVERY FAMILY have to provide something small as an extra snack for THEIR OWN CHILD???

I can relate because our lunch is at 10.30am this year and I hate that. However I write a general note at the beginning of the year and within it I say we must have a 'vege break' and they must supply something. I give the parents examples eg. carrots, celery, cucumber, raw beans, corn kernels. I insist on it as an expectation (compulsory) and they all do it. I also write that it is a class or grade level initiative and that it will continue daily.

Surely this is easier than organising a community snack.

Smurfyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

love2teachkds

community snacks
Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I enjoyed community snacks because you don't have any kids without snack. I always feel bad for those students whose parents did not provide them a snack. Therefore, community snacks allows everyone to have a snack and nobody is left out.
love2teachkds is offline   Reply With Quote

funkid

Snacks
Old 07-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have always done a monthly snack calendar and it has never been a problem. If a child forgets (I send home a laminated reminder card the day before) we always have leftovers. This plan has worked well for me. Snacks have to be individually wrapped or sent in ziplock bags. The snack helped holds the basket while the snack provider asks if their friend wants a snack. We can work of manners! The napking passes gives everyone a napkin (parents send those in, too). We say thank you to the snack provider and eat our snack together. The whole process takes about 15 minutes.
funkid is offline   Reply With Quote

christina4062

Smurfyteach
Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do a community snack too- each kid gets a day and they bring in a snack for the class. I send home a calendar for the upcoming month the last week of each month.

Teaching in a low income district, if I had kids bring their own snacks each day I would have four or five kids every single day with no snack. It is a lot easier for parents to go to the dollar store and buy a box of crackers once a month than it is for my students (who almost all are on free-and-reduced lunch) to spend the money for a snack every single day.

When kids forget their snack, we have "left overs" (a hodge-podge of snacks left over from other days) and parents also donate extras when they can.

We eat lunch at 11:00 and school doesn't end until 3:10, so we have to have a snack in the PM, especially when some students have a 40-45 minute bus ride home.
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote