first time teaching 3 yr. olds help - ProTeacher Community

teachneedshel

teachneedshel

first time teaching 3 yr. olds help
Old 08-22-2006, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I started teaching preschool on Monday. It is a four hour program. I am used to teaching 3rd graders! I have 17 children and 1 helper. These kids are all 3 yrs. old. I need detailed suggestions on how to get them to sit for story..how to seat them maybe, how to get them to sit longer than a story. Right now we get the story time and pledge in and that is it. Is that normal? I can't imagine getting them to do calendar and jobs yet. They destroy the centers and when it is time to clean up...we have done the clean up songs as well as positive praise for the few helping and directing the ones that are not. They seem to still want to talk and play rather than clean up. I have more things, but this is a start. I know it is only the second day...but when do things "come together" and any suggestions to try are so welcome!!

Thanks

PreskExplorer

PreskExplorer

Old 08-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good Luck!! Three year olds are a handful and do not sit very long at all. If you were got them all to sit for a story consider yourself very lucky. You cannot ask for more at this point. They are not like third graders at all. If you are planning to do a calendar and jobs you will need to do introduce this to the children little by little by having them come back to a central group meeting place. You might start off the morning by having the children come in on Monday and choosing a chore which they keep for the week once you have had a chance to explain all the chores. If you explain this procedure to the parents in a letter they are usually very good with reminding their children on Monday morning when they come in to pick a job.

Three year olds really do not have the concept of understanding a calendar until they understand that there are seven days in a week and to understand this it is best to begin by singing the days of the week song. Once they begin to have some understanding of this, usually by January, you can introduce a calendar. Remember that three year olds learn best through play. Some structure is good but play is really what they need most at this age. If they are destroying centers you may have too much out. Start out with a little and make sure your shelving has control charts(a picture w/ the word of the item) so the children can put the items away themselves. This teaches them responsibility and allows them to clean up w/out much adult help.

Three year olds are filled with so much wonder and will have 101 questions for you. It is unlike third grade in so many ways. I have been teaching 3-5 year olds for six years now and I cannot imagine teaching anything else. I know I could be making much more money teaching K-3 but I would miss the adventures I take each year with the children in my class. Hang in there! You will do great! I hope I was some help.
Carolann

SacharFan

Old 08-22-2006, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have no words of wisdom for you at all considering I teach sixth grade. I just wanted to say BLESS YOU! I admire preschool and kindergarten teachers so much. Have a great year!
SacharFan is offline   Reply With Quote
teachneedshe

teachneedshe

thank you
Old 08-23-2006, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

thanks so much for the advice and the well wishes!

Today was better than the last I think my assistant and I need to get on the same page a bit more with the time outs and guiding of the children to keep toys in certain areas. We have started putting lunch at the last half hour of the day and then they sit with books until a parent comes...that saves on them gettting up after lunch and destroying the room. We got another book in, the pledge, and even a few rounds of Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes~

I agree about the pay....here it is horrible but my children get into the younger program at a huge discount and are in the same building as me, so that is the main perk. I am TOTALLY exhausted every afternoon and do planning or putting things together at night for at least an hour if not more (good excuse for why the housework is suffering!) and can't imagine not getting up and going in the next day. I LOVE the kids and the fact that every day is so different and fun!

Amyburke5

Old 08-23-2006, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

try dotolearn.com
it has many helpful activities

Amyburke5 is offline   Reply With Quote
understands

understands

it all takes time
Old 09-09-2006, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am a preschool teacher and I teach 3 and 4 year old children for over 10 years. My 3 yr olds I have for 2 1/2 hrs.The first few weeks of starting is very hard. The first few weeks are very hard for both the teacher and the child. In the beginning the child is testing you on how much they are able to get away with. The first thing you should try to do is have a routine for the childrento follow every day. If you take the rountine away, the children become overwhelmed and wild. I find the best way to start the morning is having the children go right to cirle time. There I take roll, do the calendar, have a weather person and our lesson. The children sit very well during this time providing you have them sit in a chair. If they sit on the floor first thing they tend to loose there attention which is very short at this age. Make the lessons short and fun. For clean up time-some children need to be taught for at home-parents are usually the ones who clean up. Remember you are introducing everything new to them and will take awhile to get the hang of it all. Routine is the key to master a young mind.

Good luck and remember- these children are in a learning process and some pick up faster then others.
Hannah

Hannah

teacher2009
Old 05-09-2007, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I will be teaching 3 year olds this summer and then possibly in the fall. I am very nervous, but this is all great advice.
LR

LR

Teaching three's
Old 05-09-2007, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Have beeen teaching Early Ed since 1976.

Have worked with 3's in Headstart in the Public Schools for 5 years.

STUCTURE and CONSISTENT ROUTINE...PERIOD!!

I have a set routine and I stick to it. Get ALL the Greg And Steve CD's
it's worth the investment. Get to know Greg and Steve NO.2. I have
worn out two copies over five years. It is all about active activities.

I have all students sit on the floor and I sit with them. I have a visual
organizer that shows the entire routine by picture broken up in time
intervals.

1. We discuss what we just did and what the NEXT activity is and show pictured visual.

2. We say the days of the week and tell the the day and what
happens on that day, then tell them wwhat tomorrow is...
and have little expectation for their learning I am just exposing
them to vocabulary.
3. We do a morning greeting to learn names. I have a chart posting
home and school and I have them move their picture on velcro
from home to school. I ask who is NOT here?
4. I have a large sheet of paper with the date at the top and everyone
signs in(scribbles at first then symbols appear etc.)
5. Fingerplays, stories, songs use GREG and Steve cd's. They are
a lifesaver.
6. Then I read a book.
7. then we have a small group session. I take 8 my para takes 7
we do a quit 10-15 min. puzzles, coloring, art and craft activity.
8. The we play outside for 20 minutes.
9.LunchTime
10.outside play again 20 min.
11. centertime 1 hour
12. Naptime
13.Snacktime
14. Another 20-30 minutes of limited centertime.
15.clean-up
16.gather belongings
17. GO HOME whew.

Any other questions???
Patricia

Patricia

how to teach 3yo?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi,
I am a primary school teacher and teach mainly over 6 year olds. I have been asked to put together a 10 minute lesson for 3-4year olds who dont speak any english at all. Do you have any lessons, or ideas that would be any help for me? I would really appreciate any ideas or games and songs and things like that...

Thanks
LR

LR

ESOL Lesson
Old 05-10-2007, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What is the primary language of the non-english speaking students??
Bickey

Bickey

K -3 Teacher
Old 08-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Give yourself time. I teach with alot of fun games. The kids love it and you will be amazed at what they learn. For instance, while learning the alphabet, we will have a tea party for the letter T, play doctors for the letter D, ride stick horses for the letter H ect... And the kids love to dance. Just remember there 3 and they like to stay busy.
Shanon

Shanon

this was a big help!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you thank you thank you! If anyone else is still on this...i would love some more suggestions! I just started teaching 3 year olds this week. They are testing me! I have to go on a mandatory trip from my previous job on September 19th! I'm afraid that while I'm gone, all the structure will be unlearned! Should I write it all down for the sub?
Jcherrio

Jcherrio

Old 09-11-2007, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am just curious as to where you found pictures for all the activities. I have tried drawing things, or writing them but they don't seem to have any affect?
Lrempala

Lrempala

Pictures of activities
Old 10-04-2007, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I got the pictures from HEADSTART. If you want somehow we can
communicate thru e-mail or address I would send you a set of the
activity pictures. Larry
pandabear

pandabear

Three yr olds
Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Can you please tell me where i can find the Greg and Steve CD"S. Can you give me any ideas for easy halloween and thanksgiving arts and craft ides or anything that may help me keep my three yr old busy during the day.

Thanks
Angela
angelapvick@embarqmail.com

tamolina

gCMJFC
Old 11-14-2007, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am a new teacher too and your post has been a great source of learning for me. Thanks. Just wanted to ask you about how you link all the ares of learning in your planning.
thanks again,
tamolina
tamolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Kathy C

Kathy C

Have you tried candy?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I find that M&Ms work wonders. Everyone will sit for a little while and even return to the group after they have wandered off for an M&M.
Fruit Loops also work.
new-to3s

new-to3s

no more questions
Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

You have just saved me weeks of struggling! I have been working in child care for 2 years now. But I have not worked with three year olds. I am just now about to have a three year old class of my own, and Im really starting from scratch. Your schedule I will probally use for myself. I will try to tie it in with our day. Thank you for your information. I could use tips from anyone, it will be highly appreciated!

thank you
Ms.Jeni

Ms.Jeni

3 year old triplets
Old 07-11-2008, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have been teaching Preschool 2 1/2 and three olds for a couple months I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old but other than that I have no experience. I seem to be meant to do this job although it was never wanted. Well anyways .......... I have a set of triplets 2 boys and the oldest a girl. They are VERY wild and the boys are not at the 3 year old level. They eat rocks and throw fits often. They use dto be part time but now they are full time. MOst of the time they listen after saying it a few times, but I want to find a better way to get through to them. I also forgot to mention they are adopted if that matters but their parents had drug problems which I also think effects thier development. I do the give them seperate attention and praise good behavior. I could not find any information on teaching triplets, but didnt find any. Any help would be apreciated.

Ms. Jeni
Tiffanie

Tiffanie

Greg and Steve
Old 08-15-2008, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

What are these CD's and where can I find them???
csg

csg

just some hints
Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Hey teachneeds Your class sounds just like mine. This is my first year to teach and I also have 17 three yr olds with one aide. One thing that has started to work for me. I took the carpet we sit on for group time and divided it into 2 X 2 foot squares. Each one has their own square. It is their space. They sit/stand in their spaces when we are on the carpet. I used reflective tape to section it off.

We divided into 4 groups for rotations. One group at my table, one at the aides table, one group at the art table and one group in centers it is working fairly good. The art table does a desinated art project. Not ready to let them be free in art.

Just remember consistancy is the key. Good luck
Melissa.H

Melissa.H

Repetition, repetition, repetition
Old 10-20-2008, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

It is very important for this age to know what is coming next. Having a structured sequence is critical to success. For example, in my Sunday School class (3 & 4 year olds), the kids come in & we do puzzles for the first 5 minutes or so, to get them seated & their hands engaged. We practice sharing and taking turns at this time. It allows me to take attendance and get them settled in.

Then, we put away the puzzles and begin our story. It's easier to do once they're already seated and relaxed. After, we do our craft/activity, then I allow free play. Do the work first, then goof off.

It is the same sequence every week. Transition times lessen between activities because they know what comes next. Anxiety levels go down, because they know what comes next. Consistency is your best friend.

Of course, for children of this age group, play is their work. It's how they learn best. Always reinforce the lesson during play time.

If they are all wound up, it will be nearly impossible for them to sit still for storytime. The attention span at this age is probably around 15 minutes at most.

Knowing this going in, you can plan your day. since I only have my kids for 45 minutes, it's much less structured than an all day or morning program, but you should allow for quiet activities to be grouped together and active activities to also be grouped together for best success. After lunch, full bellies will make them a bit more lethargic (typically), although a few will be recharged.

Hope this helps!
beka

beka

multiples
Old 11-24-2008, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Hi Ms. Jeni,
I was just searching through my catalogues from the National Organization of Mothers of Twins Clubs. I had remembered seeing a book written about this topic. I couldn't find it, but wanted to give you a hint to search on-line under twins/ or twin clubs(usually twins clubs include all multiples), and might have articles/books on the topic of teaching multiples.
I am president of the board at the preschool my twins attend, and we have a set of triplets that are finishing the toddler program and moving into the pre-school program this spring. When they started(sept) there was a lot of spilling, dumping, tears, etc.. I saw them last week(nov) and their vocabulary skills, attention span, and listening has increased noticeably.
How great that you are interested in finding out all you can to teach multiples. Blessings to you as you help guide these triplets in their introduction to education.
Renate

Renate

teaching 3 year olds
Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Hi,

I was used to teaching 12 year olds and I started teaching 3 year olds a month ago too! It's a complete mindshift that you have to make in order to teach them! Dont expect them to sit still all the time, they have to move and sing and dance in order to learn!! Story time must be role-play rather than them just sitting and listening. It takes a lot of planning but you'll just frustrate them and yourself if you dont do what is in their frame of reference- imaginative things, role-play, games through which they learn, and basically anything that involves movement. I work with whole class and then divide them into two groups. Also use competition as a tool eg. girls against boys to see who can get the right answer first,or who can tidy up first and then reward them at the end of the week with a sticker or a sweetie. They thrive on praise at this age. I also urge you to read up on this age as much as you can, this will enable you to have effecetive teaching and learning in the classroom!

Kind regards

Renate
mmlandry

mmlandry

in the middle of the year
Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Hi all,
I taught high school for two years and decided that wasn't for me. I now will be teaching 3 year olds. How do you come in during the middle of the year and expect to teach? I know a couple of games and songs because I remember them from when I was young, I have babysat and been a counselor for younger children, but never a full time teacher.

mmainsa@gmail.com
Dizzle

Dizzle

Yes Yes Yes
Old 02-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Write it all down. Every single detail. and post it everywhere, I just left my class for a week and a half because our cook quit. Everyone kept telling me how much the kids were acting up and I couldnt believe them until I came back. It was like everyone had gone insane. I realise not to underestimate just how quickly they forget. Definately write it down. ANd make it very easy for them to follow. Prepare as much as you can before you go. Itll be better for them adn you when you come back. Ive been back for a week and it seems like they are never going to be back on schedule
Lee_02

Lee_02

Eye lesson
Old 07-01-2009, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I need help! I have to teach 3-4 year olds about the EYE. This'll be my first time to be surrounded with such young students... I understand that it has to be extremely creative and attention-grabbing. Any suggestions? Thanks!