How to welcome new teachers - ProTeacher Community

Mackenzie AK

How to welcome new teachers
Old 07-22-2009, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We will have 7 new teachers to our building this year, and 4 of them are new hires. What sort of special welcome package could I put together for them? I am looking for ideas to put into bags or baskets.

Mackenzie AK is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 07-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

we always welcome new team members with a coffee at our local shop sometime the month before school starts - it also brings the staff together again in an informal situation - last year we had it in the city park so people didn't have to get sitters and invited the principal to bring the coffee/drinks!
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

adore2teach

Old 07-22-2009, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can always put together some cute post-it notes, pens, and other small desk items for them. This is what my mentor done for me, and I really appreciated it. There are so many cute pens and post-its now. And I saw some really cute paper clips shaped like hearts and stars. I can't remember where I saw them. Or you can always give a basket of chocolate! Every teacher has a stash, why not help them get started with theirs?
adore2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy Teacher

welcoming teachers
Old 07-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I printed off the poem about teachers being star polishers. I think I just googled "star polisher poem" and it came up. Then I went to Hobby Lobby and found red glittery stars (in the Christmas section). I plan to give them the poem with the star and then I thought I might add some chocolate stars in a cute bag with ribbon to go along with it for those days you don't feel like a star polisher and attach a saying similar to this: When all else fails, polish off a bag of chocolate stars!
Happy Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MS Math

New teachers
Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always try to do something for the new teachers at my school. Today I found tablets in light blue - our school color - that said I love teaching. They were $1 each. Then I found those little metal buckets in the same color and also for $1. I put back the tablets and bought the buckets. I'll add candy to them and maybe paint the school letters on it - like Welcome to __________. (I put back the tablets just because of money.)
I hope that helps.

MS Math is offline   Reply With Quote

sunsets11

New Teacher...
Old 07-22-2009, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been a new teacher a few times, and although those cards and gifts are cute... unless they come with some good face time, I have no idea who gave me anything!

The most useful thing is time. See me, spend time in my room, hang out for a while. Or, check back in several times in a few hours time. "I was just going through the math book and thought you might not have this... " or "might wonder about this since it took me a year to figure out"

Ask for my help hanging your background for a bullitin board, or getting something from somewhere. Invite me to go to the supply closet when you need to... ask if I need anything laminated, copied, whatever... I"ll go for the walk since I don't know about how that works here yet...

Just keep coming in, don't make it a big deal, but make sure I know your name each time!
sunsets11 is offline   Reply With Quote

2Teach2Learn

I agree
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

with sunsets. I was the new teacher last year on my grade level, and only one person on my team took the time out to just stop in and see if I needed anything. She was my rock this past year, and has become one of my best friends because of it. Your friendship and offerings of help will mean more than anything to a new teacher.
2Teach2Learn is offline   Reply With Quote