Keeping track of books read by students - ProTeacher Community

MrsG

Keeping track of books read by students
Old 08-24-2006, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need a cute idea for a way to chart or keep track of how many books my students read throughout the year. I don't have a theme in the room so it doesn't really matter what the subject is. My partner teacher is using a race track so I want to avoid duplicating that (or any other sports theme).

Any ideas?? Thanks for your help!

MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

ice cream/ temp
Old 08-24-2006, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could have an ice cream cone and you get a scoop for each book read- let the student decorate the cone and color their flavor each time-even write the book title on the scoop. "Scoop up a good BOOk"

Intergrate science with thermamenter (wrong sp) for every 5 books you read you go up a degree. Each grading period the students can take their temperature and see who is the hottest.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

TeAcHeRinFL

Old 08-24-2006, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

OK, I have two ideas....

1. In my room I have a board titled, "HOOKED ON BOOKS". There is a fish with each child's name on it that I stapled above a thumbtack. When a child reads a book during library center, they fill out an index card with their name, title, and author. Then they draw a picture of their favorite part (or write a sentence). I have a hole punched in the corner so I can put it on a large binder ring and hang it on the thumbtack.

2. You can make a caterpillar head and each time a book is read, a large circle can be filled out on the book as part of the body. You'll end up with a very loooooong caterpillar when you're done.
TeAcHeRinFL is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

caterpillar
Old 08-24-2006, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've done the caterpillar, too. It works well because it can turn and twist and go the whole way around the room. I've never kept track of the books they read though!! Wow! That's going to be one long caterpillar!! We usually just keep track of all the books we read together. Sounds like fun!
BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

treasure chest
Old 08-24-2006, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the caterpillar reminded me of a treasure chest idea. Each child has an open chest on the Bull. Bd or wall. Then a circle(coin) is added each time a book is read. "The Treasures of Reading"

readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsG

Old 08-24-2006, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

All great ideas! Thanks!

scraphappy

Old 08-26-2006, 01:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just a thought, but I would personally avoid doing a board like this. My experiences in the past have been that it doesn't have a positive effect on reading. Children read books below their ability level so that they can read more books and it makes those with less stars, stickers, etc. sad and they feel bad about themselves as readers.

Maybe you could do a board that has a space for each child to post a book recommendation. As they read a good book they can change their space to reflect that. Others will want to read the peer recommended books. If you really want to keep track they could keep a reading log, but I personally wouldn't make their accomplishments so public. Not only will other children see it, but think about conferences and open houses.

I don't mean to offend, but thought I would throw it out there in case it hadn't been thought of.
scraphappy is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsG

Old 08-26-2006, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Excellent points, scraphappy. I have never done a tracking system, but I am at a new school this year and others are, so I guess I was attempting to "fit in" better.

I have done and am doing a book recommendation board near the class library. This works really well.

Now you have me rethinking the tracking chart I have up for Math facts. I think I will have that somewhere more private as well.

Appreciate the input!

scraphappy

Old 08-26-2006, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You're very welcome. I was nervous that I would offend by offering my thoughts, but figured we are all adults and it's always good to have different views.

I used to have charts like that for lots of things. I remember cringing one year at open house as parents seem to be scrutinizing other student's accomplishment. A light bulb instantly went off and my heart sank.

It's tough to be new at a school ,but I'm sure you'll do great. Have a wonderful year!
scraphappy is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

mrs g
Old 08-26-2006, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with scraphappy if you are going to keep track for each child and what they are doing independently. But maybe if you want to keep track and kind of do something similar to others you could try what I did one year. We made a caterpillar of books we read together. This was mostly a list of read alouds, but also included anthology stories. It's purpose was more of a celebration of our learning journey. We used it to look at patterns in the types of books we read, authors, and so on. At the end of the year, we looked back and voted on our favorites. I love things like this because they act as a visual reminder of our path through the year. This year, I'm going full blown-- we're going to make a timeline.

Good luck!

MrsG

Old 08-26-2006, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've done the group caterpillar thing. Think we'll do that again. Thanks for all the advice!

BookMuncher

hey!!
Old 08-26-2006, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Sorry to keep bothering you, but I thought of ONE MORE idea that I always wanted to do, but didn't do it! Make a link for each book and then have a chain. Literacy Links or Links for Literacy or something. They are cheery and would make a great decoration for you library. On the down side, you might not be able to really see what's on them too well if you wanted to refer to it. I might think about doing this!
Suz4th

Suz4th

Book Tracking
Old 08-26-2006, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

One more idea....I keep track of the ones we read together. Then at the end of the year I pull out all of the chapter books that we read and as we discuss and remember each one the kids make notes of their favorites and then they vote on their choice for "Book of the Year". They have to write a persuasive paragraph why their choice is the best. The kids have loved this and it helps with my decisions for next year's read alouds too.

Risa

Rhyme we made up for Read Aloud Poster
Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I used to be a teacher in a Bilingual setting. In Spanish there's a cute little poem that we would say whenever we finished a book. When I mentioned this to my students in my English class, they came up with this little rhyme.

"Now this book has come to an end.
It became my new best friend."

I wrote this in medium sized letters in the middle of a large sheet of construction paper. As we finished each read aloud, we recited the rhyme, after which a student randomly wrote the title, in large letters, around the outside edges. Since we read-aloud mostly chapter books, it didn't get too full, but it was an easy way to keep track of the read-alouds for the year.
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

Poem - and other suggestions
Old 08-27-2006, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You are all so good. Don't you just wish you had teachers like yourselves when you were in school? What cute ideas!! I really like the poem and catapillar.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

Hoppiti

Keeping record of Reading
Old 09-21-2006, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hello everyone...I'm a new member. In my country children learn 2 languages simultaneously and so they are required to read books in both languages. I tried 2 ways:
a) I put the pupils in pairs and called the "Reading buddies" and they both had a big picture of an open book. Then they chose 2 books together and they read them. Then they swapped them and wrote down the two titles on the picture. You have to pair them according to ability though.

b) this year Im trying to have a small 'reading record' copybook. They write the title/number of pages/ and date of when they read. the parent or guardian will sign to show that the children really did the reading then the child who shows a steady pace in reading is rewarded as "Reading King of the Jungle" coz the library is decorated as a jungle
Hoppiti is offline   Reply With Quote