Dress Code Policy stinks...What do you think? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

Dress Code Policy stinks...What do you think?

>

Cfgnap

Dress Code Policy stinks...What do you think?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Howdy!.. I am a 3rd grade teacher in Texas, where we have just been shown our new dress code policy... we are now to wear pantyhose or socks EVERYDAY to look "professional"...no excuses... besides it being nearly 100 degrees right now, does anyone think this is a stupid policy? There is a group of us going to the Board meeting next week, So if you want to give me your opinions on the matter - I appreciate it!

Cfgnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 08-24-2006, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ok, pantyhose can rip and that will look really unprofessional if you rip them at 9:00 while squatting down to help a kid with work. What's the point of panythose and socks? They're probably trying to keep people from wearing thong sandals, but the rule is just stupid.

I really don't have anything constructive for you, but I'm sorry...that sucks.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
sox

sox

hate panty hose
Old 08-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Boy, I'm glad I don't work in your district. I would have been unprofessional every day this week.

I hate pantyhose with a passion.

My only advice to you is try light weight knee-highs. Try looking in the hanes her way catalog (find them online). They sell lighter weight hose, toe-less hose, and hose in all kinds of lengths that you might not find in the store.

I hope they lighten up soon.

javamomma

bad
Old 08-24-2006, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would have to wear slacks because I cannot do panty hose~~
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

mtc

Panty hose yuck!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had to work in a school that mandated us to wear panty hose. (I don't work there anymore thank goodness!) I love wearing skirts but I refused to wear panty hose, so I wore slacks with my clunky shoes and socks which looked less professional than any of my cute heels. I did try wearing pantyhose once and I was hot and itchy and I kept sliding around in my pumps all day.

What makes them think that panty hose looks professional anyways? In any style magazine or in corporate places I don't really see anyone wearing panty hose anymore.

mtc is offline   Reply With Quote

Penny

in Texas, it's a bad policy
Old 08-24-2006, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't know about where you are, but currently in my area we've been at 103. Because of the climate, wearing pantyhose doesn't make sense. In fact, in all the schools I've worked at here, many teachers wore sandals during the warm months. (Okay, that's just about every month.)

Do you really need pantyhose to "look professional?" And how professional are you going to look if you're sweating from the heat? (Okay, my building's air hasn't been the best lately, but it's not uncommon for problems to happen in any building.) Aren't there more important things for the board to worry about? Like curriculum and student success?
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote

QW

No Way
Old 08-24-2006, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I HATE pantyhose. I just can't do it. If you want to get down and dirty at your meeting next week, try bringing up these points:

1. It's a sexist rule--MEN don't have to wear pantyhose and there is no equivalent male garment that is as uncomfortable as pantyhose.

2. Tell them its a health hazard--some people who wear pantyhose, especially every day and in hot weather, develop yeast infections! Of course they are female, but...

3. Hose with runs in them--which you can't avoid--look tacky and cheap and totally unprofessional.

4. Have them explain to your group exactly how wearing pantyhose affects student achievement. I've never seen a study on it, but I doubt it makes any difference in student achievement if you wear hose or not!

5. Replacing pantyhose can cost a lot of money. I've never had a pair that lasted any length of time. A comparable raise to cover the cost would be nice :-)

Good luck at your meeting! I'm cheering for you. Maybe someone has a doctor friend that could write excuses for everyone, saying it is detrimental to their health, as they are at risk for infections, etc. hee hee
QW is offline   Reply With Quote

Toni

go for socks
Old 08-24-2006, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Remember the old Seinfeld episodes, with Elaine? She wore socks with oxfords all the time with her dresses. When it was in style, I did it too. But does wearing a jumper with socks and keds look really professional? Not really. But it would meet the dress code, and be comfortable.

I do believe that that the requiring of hose is sexist and could be a basis for a lawsuit. You can't require something of one gender in the workplace, and not require it of the other. Unless they make the men wear hose, too.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsG

Old 08-24-2006, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Remember the old Seinfeld episodes, with Elaine? She wore socks with oxfords all the time with her dresses. When it was in style, I did it too. But does wearing a jumper with socks and keds look really professional? Not really. But it would meet the dress code, and be comfortable
That's what I would be wearing if this rule was forced on me, even if it is weird looking. I refuse to wear pantyhose.
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote
GraceK

GraceK

Old 08-24-2006, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That is horrific, imo! I wouldn't make it- lol! I can't remember the last time I wore pantyhose in any case.... perhaps when I stood up for my sister's wedding in high school (which, btw, was almost 20 years ago now- eek!)

We have an extremely relaxed dress code here... just don't show too much cleavage, that's the only rule I've heard so far. I hope you are able to get it revoked- I understand the desire for professionalism, but there are limits.

MaryMac

From MaryMac
Old 08-25-2006, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It had to be a man that came up with that decision!
MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

going with Toni's post...
Old 08-25-2006, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You should all show up within the new dresscodes with some twists. Wear the skirt, with socks and the tie shoes (Elaine's outfits). Someone else show up with a huge run in their pantyhose....you know take and twist it into the evil thing it is!

Amy
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Ugh!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I too HATE panythose. If I wear a skirt in the winter, I wear tights, which are slightly more comfortable, warmer and don't run nearly as often. I agree with others - if the men don't have to wear them, why should the women?
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

ily

Old 08-25-2006, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Wow that is a strict dress code, they gave us one two years ago, basically no t shirts, no sports sandals, no cargo pants, no sneakers ( with the exception of field trip and track and field days), at first they said no capris, but then modified to no cargo capris, but the dressy ones are fine.
I would never be able to do panty hose, ugh, I really hope you can fight this one.
ily is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 08-25-2006, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

When I worked in a corporate atmosphere in the 80s/90s, we were expected to wear pantyhose every day and if you are dressing for success, you would wear a SUIT. I often wore skirts. I'd choose the longest styles I could find and wear knee-highs. I'd peel them off at the end of the day and sigh with relief. The knee highs aren't as hot as panty hose.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

churchr

Old 08-25-2006, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Oh... I feel so sorry for you!!! You could always show up with your socks rolled down to your ankles like Olive Oyl! That would look very professional. My other thought is... someone must have stock in Leggs!

Good luck with your battle.
churchr is offline   Reply With Quote

SandyJ

Make the men wear pantyhose
Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

....and see how fast that rule would change!

I teach 3rd grade in Texas also. After reading your post,
I'm so thankful that my principal allows us to wear
capris and sandals when it's 100 degrees! Plus, we
get to wear jeans every Friday!

I hope you get about 50 responses....print them
out and present them to the school board!
Also, maybe consult your local professional organization
(like TSTA) and ask for the lawyer's help on this.
Best of luck!
SandyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

i teach k

toe socks...striped socks...polka dots...etc.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

ok, my comment isn't really constructive, but it might be funny and get your point across if all of you wore some kind of stupid looking socks with a dress and came in one day......just all of these teachers walking around for a few days like this might get your point across on how stupid this new rule is....you know? good luck. i have read many posts on this site about silly dress codes like yours and i feel bad for all of you who have to put up with this nonsense. administration should deal with inappropriate dress issues on an as needed basis and not punish the entire staff for the mistakes of a few.
i teach k is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

what can they do?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We had this "rule" in our district also until a few years ago when we FINALLY got them to do away with it.. along with "all men must wear ties" (I guess the male equivalent of hose).

Until they did away with it, I wore knee highs. One day I had run out of them (due to wear, runs, etc.) and had forgotten to stop and pick some up and didn't have time on the way to school so I thought.. to heck with it, and just didn't wear them... no one ever said a thing about it. I never wore them again. I'd get comments from other teachers, joking about what a "rebel" I was refusing to wear hose.. .

In our district it depended on the principal and how much they enforced the dress code. Only one or two bothered to try to make teachers wear them.

We also had a teacher who got her doctor to write her an "excuse" saying she was allergic to nylon... whether or not she was, I don't know.. but she never wore a pair of hose!...
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote
independent

independent

Old 08-27-2006, 12:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I totally feel for you. What an awful rule. I have been fighting this for years. I hate pantyhose. All forms of nylons make me itch. Not to mention, I don't like feeling like I will slip when I walk in my shoes.

I don't work in a profession that requires pantyhose, but I did grow up with a mom that was too poor to afford panythose when she was a teen, and all her friends had them, so she always thought it was the greatest thing that she could afford them and could not understand my hatred of them.

Pantyhose and nylon underwear both give me a yeast infection.

Maybe you could use the environment as an issue. They are just not a naturally occurring product of the earth and do not break down well.