Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Novels and Activities to Support Iditarod

>

Jip

Novels and Activities to Support Iditarod
Old 11-06-2005, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I teach 5th grade and am looking for novels to support the Iditarod. Stone Fox is out because it is taught in earlier grades. Any other suggested sites or activities?

Jip is offline   Reply With Quote

mm

mm

to Jip
Old 11-07-2005, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was at a teacher store the other day and I happened upon this book-

The Mystery on Alaska’s Iditarod Trail
by Carol Marsh

It looked pretty interesting. It is actually part a whole series of mysteries that take place throughout the U.S.

Hope this helps mm

bamagirl

Iditarod Website
Old 11-07-2005, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here are a couple websites that have some great activities. They are both links off the official Iditarod website. I hope they are helpful!

http://www.iditarod.com/teacher/index.php
http://www.iditarod.com/tott/index.php
bamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

bamagirl

Children's Books
Old 11-07-2005, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here is a direct link to a large list of children's books about the Iditarod. It also lists the number of pages in the book, publisher, ISBN #, intended audience, and a very brief summary.

http://www.iditarod.com/teacher/category.php?id=8
bamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

Iditarod book
Old 11-08-2005, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach 5th grade as well. We have a story in our basal that is an excerpt from the book Iditarod Dream by Ted Wood. We read the entire book to our class it is only 48 pages with lots of pictures. It tells the story of a boy who competed in the Jr. Iditarod.

Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

Jip

Thanks!!
Old 11-08-2005, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow, thanks so much for all of the great ideas!!! I am truly grateful. Now off to the fun of planning.
Jip is offline   Reply With Quote

Lori

Idiatarod
Old 11-10-2005, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Gary Paulsen has an excellent memoir of his experiences running the race titled Woodsong. It would make a great read aloud during your unit and is a good intro to Paulsen as a writer.

Lori
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Linda H

Linda H

Old 11-10-2005, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use the novel Balto. I have also written activities for the film Iron Will, a fantastic Disney movie, about a dog sled race. I don't know where you live but I live in Ottawa, Canada ( lots of snow in Feb.) and we have our own Iditarod using GT snowracers in the school yard. I set up an obstacle course with checkpoints named after the real race. 2 children pull ( they are the dogs) and the third sits on the sled ( they are the musher) and gets pulled. The musher calls out the commands for fun such as "gee" and "haw".
LVteach33

LVteach33

Re: Iditarod
Old 11-13-2005, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Are you using the HB "Trophies" series?

If you are, they have plenty of ancillary materials in the Teacher Gude on the Iditarod Race. I don't have my copy with me at home where I'm writing this. THere is a story about a young man who won the Jr. Iditarod Race. Also Gary Paulson has a first person account of his own sledding, but it's in the US. A very good description of the relaionship between lead dog and the human.
Joanna

Joanna

Iditarod
Old 11-13-2005, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I was in California and teaching Stone Fox to a Special Day Class bunch of kids in high school, I was able to find a sled racing couple who were willing to trot out all their gear and their wonderful Samoyed team. The dogs were fabulous and the kids were facinated by this demonstration.

CLykowski

Iditarod
Old 11-15-2005, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am in Michigan and I teach Fifth Grade.The Iditarod is one of my favorite units to teach! I do a simulation with this unit. The kids are actually put into teams and start by writing persuasive letters to a company requesting money for support. Based on their letter, teams are given 'money' to purchase supplies for the race. When the race actually begins, the teams draw a fate card everyday that tells them how far on the trail they go. They are all trying to beat their actual musher that they follow to Nome! My lower kids read Balto/Stone Fox. We also do Woodsong, Bright STar, Bright Dawn. There are so many things to do with this unit. We also have a storyteller come in as Susan Butcher. She's fabulous! The kids really believe she's Butcher! We also have a musher with the sled and dogs come. At the end of the unit we have an I-Kid-A-Rod where our kids race from checkpoint to checkpoint.
CLykowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Kelsea

Kelsea

Iditarod
Old 11-10-2010, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

"Danger the Dog Yard Cat" is a children's picture book that offers a different perspective. It is a super cute book and I used it when I taught the Iditarod a few years ago.

You can get an adapted version of The Call of the Wild from Wieser Educational - a company that makes higher level texts more accessible to lower level readers