Hanging fromg ceiling - ProTeacher Community

kristindixon

Hanging fromg ceiling
Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is the first year we are able to hang stuff from the ceiling tiles in our classroom. I was thinking about buying the clip kits that they sell at the teacher store. Does anyone know a cheaper way to hang things from ceiling tiles?

kristindixon is offline   Reply With Quote

adore2teach

Paper clips
Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bend paper clips and put one side on the metal things that hold up the tile. The other part hangs down and makes a great hook. This works really well if you aren't hanging something really heavy.
adore2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnh

cheap ceiling hangers
Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use fish line (string would work but fish line isn't as noticeable) and tie a paper clip to each end...I lift the ceiling tile and put one end under it to anchor it. You can hang things from the other paper clip by punching a hole or tying a string on the objects you are hanging.
teachnh is offline   Reply With Quote

Love3rdGrade

fishing line
Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I inherited a classroom where the previous teacher used fishing line but instead of a paper clip she used small binder clips at the end (bottom). These work well because the clip holds better than a paper clip.

I also have some of those clips made for suspended ceilings from Really Good Stuff. They slide onto the metal bracing with kind of a twist action. I also bought the piece that helps you put them up. I don't know if they still sell that part though. It is very handy and it attaches to a broom stick and then I don't have to get up on a chair or ladder to put them up or move them. They are called "ceiling hanglers."

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/resul...eiling%20hooks
Love3rdGrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Geo

A couple of ideas
Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I bought some a couple of years ago at Big Lots, dollar store, or something along those lines. They are just little metal clips with a J look to them. I use them to run the computer connection cord in my classroom.

Another thing that I've done and something you already have on hand is large paper clips. If the stuff you hand is not too heavy, you can use paper clips with string (fishing line works best if you don't want it to be seen). Use a pair of plyers to bend the paper clip into the shape necessary to fit around your ceiling tile runners (not sure what those are actually called), the clip needs to go over the bar part of the ceiling tile holder at it's top, come down the edge, and then out by the tile with a hook or loop for you to hang string from. After you've made one or two you'll get the hand of it & it's not really all that hard. Depending on how deep your ceiling tile holders are you might need to use two paper clips to get it where it's accessible from the outside of the ceiling. Link the paper clips with eye hooks that you make in them with the pliers - don't try to do this without pliers. You'll hurt your hands, get frustrated and they won't look the way you want them to look! Don't try coat hangers - they are too hard to work with and too hard to bend the correct way, unless you can find some of those really cheap, very small coat hangers that are almost as thin as paper clips & have a pair of wire cutters to clip them with. You might want to wear some type of glove if you go this route since the wire & the cutters will be a pain on your hands.

I hang those cute little twisters (you know they sell them for hanging out side) in a variety of colors & they twist when the wind hits them. My kids love watching them when the a/c comes on and they add a touch of color to the room.

Either of these methods does take a bit of work and time on your part, but it's cheap, works and will keep you from spending any money! When I get my computer back from the shop - she's getting a new mother board - I'll post a photo of what I've got.

Ms. Geo is offline   Reply With Quote

imafive

Ceiling hangers
Old 07-23-2009, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have those, too. With the stick you use to put them up. The stick is super handy when you need to move stuff and you can adjust the length of string easily.
imafive is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

I am cheap
Old 07-23-2009, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have always just used paperclips.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

ladylion

Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also use fishing line with a paper clip tied to the end. I used Tpins on the other end and poked them into the ceiling since I have the kind of ceiling that you can push things into. I just would hole punch the project and put it into the paper clip..it worked great
ladylion is offline   Reply With Quote

rappinteach

Paper clips
Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I guess I am cheap too. I have always used paper clips. I tied on about 2 feet of red and white gingham ribbon and then hot glued a clothes pin to the ribbon. It worked great as long as your item being hung was not super heavy.

I am actually glad someone posted about this. I need to make more of these since I gave mine away when I moved. They always get so tangled when not hanging.
rappinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

No more hanging anything!!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We can no longer hang anything from the ceiling. We were told that the fire marshall said it was a fire hazard! Anyone else have that same situation at their school?
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

prec0ci0us

We can't hang anything either.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

But we were told it is becuase it will trip the motion detector in the security alarm. For the longest time I never questioned that explanation - until I got an alarm at home. Our motion sensor is set to trip when something over 50 pounds walks through. I am going to have to check when I get back to school...
prec0ci0us is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Motion detector
Old 07-23-2009, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We haven't been allowed to hang anything in the downstairs hallway because of our alarm system -- motion detector. I guess things would flutter from normal airflow and set of the alarm. After the alarm went off several times, somebody came and just pulled things down from the ceiling!!!!!!!!!

My room is upstairs, so it didn't affect me at the time. BUT I thought I'd be horrified if someone just jerked my students' work down and left it in a pile in the hall!
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHoney344

Old 07-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I too use the paper clip method. No one sees the clip. It is easy, cheap and stays up!
MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

Hanging Things
Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I used to use the paper clip but finally invested in the clips. Believe me, they are worth every penny! They stay up and if you get one of the sticks that have the hanger - no more climbing on the desks or chairs!!! I've just been at school putting up "vines" for my jungle and it was soooo easy!
tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

sassylteacher

Old 07-23-2009, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Paper clips are wonderful. That's all I have ever used.
sassylteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

twirls-a-lot

We aren't supposed to...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

hang anything...but today I hung up group number signs. I'll take them down if and when they tell me. Oh, i just used string. Worked for me!
twirls-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Geo

Rappin
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm totally stealing the ribbon idea! What a cute way to add a touch of color!
Ms. Geo is offline   Reply With Quote