Another READ 180 question - ProTeacher Community

Nell

Another READ 180 question
Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So excited to find someone discussing READ 180.

Here is my question: Does the classroom teacher have to change their mini-lessons to coordinate with the READ 180 materials?

I am moving up from second to fourth, and I am trying to plan out curriculum/pacing/early mini-lessons during the summer. However, our school has already adopted READ 180 for next year. No training, of course. We will probably have some after school (and the program) has started. The way it has been explained to me is that the students will stay in my room for a mini-lesson, then leave for the computer time (Is it all on computer, or is there adult instruction, too?). After the out-of-class time, the students return for the closing mini-lesson. I am a little panicked because it sounds like I won't really be able to plan my own lessons, but will have to match what is going on in the READ 180 program, and that I will have to make sure I begin and end my mini-lessons on time. (Not my strength-especially with the behavior issues at our school.)

Can anyone shed light on the process?

Read180Teach

Reply for Nell
Old 08-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught Read 180 last year and will teach it again this year. The program is canned; meaning the teacher edition has everything planned out for you...even what you could say. The workshops are planned out already. Your group will start out in whole group, then they will split into three groups; one to computers, one to indep. reading, one to small group with teacher. These are all timed so you get through them all. You could use your mini lessons with the students who are not meeting the achievement level. I have students who fail the comprehension questions on the computer so I pull them aside and do mini lessons with them. Also, the program doesn't meet all out eligible content for out PSSAs so after every lesson, I teach the material the program doesn't. That could be a time for you to teach your lessons. The program does have some great parts to it but it isn't perfect.

bookworm98

using read 180 this year
Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will be using read 180 with 6,7,8 for 40 minutes a day for one ten week quarter. I will have 17-23 students in each class. I have one computer in my room. I have not received my manuals yet, but going to training next Friday. Any suggestions on using this program in this situation?
happyhound

happyhound

happyhound's message
Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To be honest, even though you may have Read 180 materials, it doesn't sound like Scholastic's Read 180 program. This is my fourth year using the program and to teach it as it was intended to be used, you really need a ninety minute block of time and 5 - 6 computers. Ten weeks is not enough time for students to show the growth and make the kind of progress that you probably are expecting and desiring.

Have you had any kind of training in Read 180? I did some training in July for new Read 180 teachers in our district who will be teaching this school year. I would be glad to send you my powerpoint that I used in the orientation. I am not employed in anyway by Scholastic, just to let you know. I believe in the program and how much it can really help students when used properly; that's why I hope you are given the opportunity to learn how Read 180 should be taught before trying to start it without the components that are vital to it.

Contact me at seastman@gckschools.com if you would like me to send you my presentation. Good luck.

bookworm98

Old 08-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As of two days ago my class was changed to a semester class, but I still have only 40 min. a day. I also have 6 computers coming to use in my room. I just went to day 1 training for Read 180 yesterday. The trainer suggested to complete each lesson plan in two days leaving out the closing. She said I will only get through 2 titles in a semester. I know this is not ideal, but it's what I have to work with. Since you have been using this program for a while, do you have any other suggestions on how to get the most out of my time?

readmom105

readmom105

45 mins vs. 90 mins
Old 09-10-2009, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is my 3rd year teaching read 180. We teach it in 90 min blocks, but i know of programs that ran in less time. It is possible to schedule rotations to alternate days. For example, complete a whole group lesson and rotation 1. Then rotations 2 and 3 the next day, then back to whole group/rotation 1, etc. Don't sweat the amount of material you cover...focus on how it is covered.

robin123

Read 180
Old 09-20-2009, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been asking to get Read 180 in my school, or at least pilot the program in my classroom, but funding is a real issue. WE HAVE NO MONEY. The other issue is fitting the PSSA eligicle content into the schedule. There are many reasons why we can't get it, but I am still trying. I have heard great reviews and comments aboutthe effectiveness of the program. Any advice!!!!! Do you know anything about Read About?. It is another Scholastic reading program like Read 180 but a lot less money.

robin123

Read 180
Old 09-20-2009, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am trying to get Read 180 at my school. I would love to see your presentation. Can you send it to emza1@comcast.net? TY
Vannaesia

Vannaesia

5th Grade Teacher
Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hello,
I hear you loud and clear. At this time I suggest that you get the class get use to the routine, and just supplement each component with the resources you have at hand til everything gets in. As this routine will be beneficial to you when you begin to implement the program fully. The instructional design is whole group instruction, independent level books, computer work and you work with a small group at a time, and wrap up. So get your class to familiarized with the routine cycle. I taught READ180 for one year, you will live it just like I did!

pcasserly

pcasserly

lowest levels for read 180
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi,
I have heard great things about read 180 and have a 4th grade student who is still struggling with reading. What is the lowest level in read 180? He is on about a pre-primer level. Is it only for levels higher than that or does it go that low?
Please reply to pcasserly@washtwpsd.org
Thanks