Help - Open House before school - ProTeacher Community

sweetpea26

Help - Open House before school
Old 07-26-2009, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year our school is having open house a week before school begins and I have no clue what to do with everyone. One teacher is using this time to hold an information meeting and is putting together a presentation slide show. I just don't know if I have the time for this. If your school holds open house before school what do you do? What should I expect? I will not have work up to show the parents will this be a problem? All suggestions and helpful hints are welcome and appreciated?

sweetpea26 is offline   Reply With Quote

ViolaSwamp

Scavenger hunt
Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school holds their open house before school too. The parents and kids can stop by anytime between 6:30 and 7:30. They usually only stay for about 15 minutes. I have as much of the back to school paperwork on their desks as I can. Parents can take it home in a folder to fill it out, or do it there and be done with it. It's more likely to get done if I give it to the parents rather than send it home with the kids.
I started doing a scavenger hunt type activity a few years ago to encourage the students and their parents to explore the room. I write 3 questions on a poster at the front of the room (1 easy, 1 med, 1 hard). Things like : how many dictionaries are in the classroom; what is the title of ch 8 in our math book; etc. The kids and parents look all around the room to try and find the answers. When they do, they write the answer along with their name on a slip of paper and then put it in a bucket at the front of the room (I have one bucket per question). I tell them that on the first day of school I'll pick one correct answer out of each bucket and that student will win a prize. The kids LOVE doing this and then they can't wait for the first day.
ViolaSwamp is offline   Reply With Quote

mizzreadalot

Old 07-26-2009, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We usually have a Open House type meeting before school begins also. We call ours Meet The Teacher Night. I usually have all the back to school paper work out on their desk to be filled out. The kids usually bring their supplies and we handle those. I usually have a slide show playing showing some of the things to look forward to, pictures of the class from previous year doing various activites, etc. I usually have the parents fill out a quesionaire about thier child or take it home. My parents usually have several kids so they don't stay long . They usually drop by and say hi, meet me, and then are on their way to other classrooms.
mizzreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Meet the Teacher
Old 07-26-2009, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have meet the teacher the night before the first day of school so the kids can meet the teacher, see the school and bring their school supplies. I have their name plates on their desk, a folder with info for the parents, lockers labeled, bulletin boards done. I tell the students to look around the room.

I would pull my hair out if it was a week early! I am moving and my classroom isn't even empty from the previous teacher yet.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

meghanbmc

Kick-Off Day
Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My sister-in-law's school hosts their Open House the week before school starts, but they call it "Kick-Off Day." I wish ours was held in the same fashion! It allows teachers to meet their students and their parents b/f the first day, they bring in their school supplies (teachers can get them organized b/f the first days of school and don't have to worry about tripping over tons of Wal Mart bags overflowing with supplies!), pay fees, and get their schedules. It seems to really help to cut down n some of the first day chaos. Good luck!

meghanbmc is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

very useful
Old 07-26-2009, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Open house before school starts is always a plus for me.
I request email addresses of parents as they sign in.
I hand out my contact information on a magnet. No question that it didn't make it home with the child. I also post 3 questions on the board and make sticky notes available. The questions are: What do you expect of your child in ___ grade? What do you expect of Mrs. ______?(the teacher) What can Mrs. _________ expect of you, the parent? Parents write each response on a separate sticky note & place it under the appropriate question... ANONYMOUSLY!! This tool is invaluable. I take the responses and type them up on our class website. Now it is public knowledge what the expectations are from the families and at the bottom of the list I add my own expectations. It's great for getting buy-in from the parents early on in support of your classroom. I've also posted them in the classroom to point out to the students from time to time.

Note: Now that I am not a self-contained teacher, I have gotten away from doing this some. I think I will return to it this year even though I am 4th/5th science & social studies with no homeroom.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr Seuss fan

Open House
Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have open house so that the parents and kids can meet the teacher. I have my Welcome packet ready for the kids that night so that I can get them back quickly. Usually, most of them come back the 1st day. I have a PPT running so that parents can mill around and get some info at the same time.
Dr Seuss fan is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetpea26

Old 07-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow! Thank you for all of these wonderful ideas. I feel much more comfortable about this now. You guys are great!
sweetpea26 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinteach

Dr. Seuss fan - question for yah
Old 08-19-2009, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What do you include in your welcome packet? And what do you have on your ppt that is running in the background...I am already becoming frantic about Open House hah...=)
luvinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr Seuss fan

luvinteach:
Old 08-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I hope I'm not too late to help...
I include a letter introducing my curriculum and class procedures. I also have a page for parents and kids to sign that they have read and understand my rules. I also include a menu, a bell schedule. a business card with my contact info, a student info card for parents to fill out, etc...

On my powerpoint, I just put Welcome Back and ask them to take the packet in case I am with someone else when they come in.
Dr Seuss fan is offline   Reply With Quote