Help

ARCHIVE

Teaching with Word Walls

>

KatyR

Teaching with Word Walls
Old 08-26-2006, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for advice on how to teach using the word wall. I don't want to put up words without using them with the kiddos. I want them to be aware of new words, what they say, and how to use them with the word wall.

My school uses the developmental spelling approach and we switch word study groups among the three first grades, so I don't always have all of my kids for word study/spelling instruction which makes it harder to use word wall words as spelling words. The other two teachers don't use word walls.

Any advice or creative teaching ideas??

KatyR is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

Word wall
Old 08-26-2006, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do word wall practice with my homeroom as a whole group practice on the sight words that all should know as part of my opening. I add 5 words per week which are introduced on Monday and practiced again on Wednesday. On Tuesday and Thursday I let 5 students pick the words to practice. I draw 5 name sticks and those kids give me the words for the day. On Friday I chose the review words we need to go over. They are words I'm noticing are still being misspelled in their writing. I also ask students to check the word wall before they ask for help spelling the word.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

rayita

Old 08-26-2006, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just finished reading a book on word walls. What a coincidence. I am going to try what I read starting on Monday. The book is called: Making Word Walls Work by Judy Lynch from Scholastic.

Anyway, It goes something like this. Monday (10-15 min) introduce 3-5 words. 1. Present one word at a time. 2. Have the students "Clap It" "Slap It" or "Snap It" (students clap, snap, or slap each letter of the word. One word at a time). 3. Write It. The student writes the word. Do this until all words for the week have been introduced.

Tuesday (10-15 min): Repeat the process from the day before, but in a different order.

Wednesday (10-15 min): Add new words to the word wall (make it fun)

Wednesday-Friday: Then review all words from word wall. Read the word wall words(3-5 min) Using pointers or flashlights point to a word and have students read the word. They can write the word (7-10 min) Locate the word, Clap, Snap, or Slap the word, and Write the word.

The book goes on to what you can do the second week. I reccommend it.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
rayita is offline   Reply With Quote