Help

ARCHIVE

Service Learning Project

>

mshicks

Service Learning Project
Old 08-26-2006, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I want to get my students involved in the community. I was wondering if anyone has some ideas of simple service projects that would be approriate for second graders. I'd like to plan at least one each semester.

mshicks is offline   Reply With Quote

MITeach

Awesome Idea!
Old 08-27-2006, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is part of the 5th grade curriculum at our school. All 5th graders are required to do a service learning project, write a reflection on it, and present it orally, using a visual aid. Of course, your 2nd graders would be overwhelmed by that...but they could still do the service and a mini-reflection
Some ideas might be:
-having a collection at school for a community charity (food bank, humane society, veteran's hospital, etc.)
-doing a school beautification project (picking up debris or planting flowers)
-making cards for a local hospital or nursing home (works really well around holidays like Christmas and Valentine's Day)
-making and delivering stories, poems, or cards to a local nursing home
-sponsoring a school-wide penny drive for a charity of their choice

Hope that helps!
MITeach is offline   Reply With Quote

kristen0407

collecting pennies
Old 08-27-2006, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The last two years my students have done a penny drive and collected pennies. Each day during math I would have them count the number of pennies they had brought in, and then we would graph them. I had a huge bar graph on one wall in my classroom. We did this for the month of February, and then we donated the pennies to a local charity that raises money for kids with cancer. The students really enjoyed it.
kristen0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 08-27-2006, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We've:
collected coins for united way/american red cross/other charitable things
collected winter clothing for shelters
collected books for shelters/orphanages
collected school supplies/books for students at a local school that burned down
written letters to verteran hospitals and nursing homes
collected canned food for the food bank
put together care packages for the military in iraq and afghanistan

as you can see, the military is a huge part of the area in which I live. Every child is either in a military family of probably has a neighbor who is military so we try to make it meaningful for the students. When the tsunami hit, we did a funds drive. The same thing happened when Katrina hit. It's amazing though how the ideas for the drives came from the students! After a current events lesson in her class, a second grade student wrote a letter to the principal asking her if we could do a spare change drive for the tsunami victims. So basically maybe letting the students help select a project will make it even more meaningful for them. Good luck!
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss C

Veteran's Day!
Old 08-27-2006, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One of my favorite projects each year is to have each student bring in the name of a veteran in their family, circle of friends, etc. The whole class signs a Veterans' Day card for them. The vets soooooo appreciate it! Good luck on finding Vet's Day cards, though. Stores around here have cards for everything else, but almost no Veteran's Day ones. It's really sad. Last year, I got a package of patriotic-themed notecards and we did those up for the veterans.

Miss C is offline   Reply With Quote

emg123

Community Service
Old 08-27-2006, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've done a coat drive. There was a dry cleaner that cleaned the coats for free. The kids collected, sorted, and bagged the coats. We put an article in the local paper. Included was a picture with the mountains of coats in back of the kids!

The kids have also made lunches for a local homeless shelter. They decorated the lunch bags and then filled them with sandwiches, chips, juice box and a cookie. This is a year long program with a different class doing it each month.

Our school does a food drive for the local food bank.

Kids in my school visit a nursing home and make valentines with the residents. They sing songs and have lunch together.

Every year my class "adopts" a child during holiday time. The kids do chores at home to make money. The money is donated to buy the child clothes and toys. The kids love seeing what I have purchased with the donated money.

I know I kind of rambled on, but I was typing as things came to mind.
emg123 is offline   Reply With Quote

mshicks

Old 08-27-2006, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all the great ideas! I really hope this will be something that the kids will enjoy and that will be meaningful for them.
mshicks is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2all

Service Learning Projects
Old 08-28-2006, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our first grade students also participate in Toys for Tots in December. We have also hooked up with the local Meals on Wheels and once a month our students make a craft to send with the meals.
We've done "Bunny Baskets" with our local united way. They give us a list of items for elderly shut-ins in the area and our students bring in the items to be put in large baskets to be delivered around Easter. One of our students had a grandparent who received a basket a few years ago and we got a great thank you letter from her.
Last year we our whole school participated in a bookbag drive for Katrina students. The bookbags were loaded with school supplies.
The SPCA is always looking for dog and cat food donations.
The list can be endless and the children love to help others.
teach2all is offline   Reply With Quote