ARCHIVE

Correcting Papers

>

BR

BR

Correcting Papers
Old 11-07-2005, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

During a staff meeting at our school we had a discussion on how we mark things correct or incorrect on students papers. For example, if it's right do you check it, put a c next to it, leave it alone, circle it, star it, etc or if its students do you put an x,circle,slash,leave it alone, or write minus the amount of points? We also discussed where to mark a problem incorrect (the problem number or next to the answer) My colleagues and I would greatly appreciate any ways you mark papers.

M.

M.

Re
Old 11-07-2005, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To each their own! Everyone has their own style. I do nothing if the problem/question is right. I may put a little comment next to it if it was a hard one like good! or nice work! something like that...but I don't put a star or a C or anything like that next to it. It makes the paper look too messy, IMO! If the question is wrong, I usually put a check mark next to the number. For short answer or essays on tests, I will put how many points were received and lost for each one. I do not put check marks next to those, just the point totals. The reason for that is because more than anything on short answer and essays, I have students losing some points but not all of them, so marking it wrong doesn't seem to fit. Recording the point totals also helps with adding up the points at the end. In some cases, like with filling-in-the-blank, I don't number the blanks. So if it's wrong, I place a check in front of the word or I circle the word.

bamagirl

I Only Mark What's Wrong
Old 11-07-2005, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I put an X over the number of the question if the answer is wrong. I will also write or mark the correct answer for the student to see. I don't do anything to the correct answers. Putting a C or a star next to every correct answer would take ten times as long to grade a set of papers! If it is a short answer question, I will usually write minus the amount of points.
bamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Kim/4th/SC

Slash
Old 11-08-2005, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I slash the incorrect answer to keep students from being able to go back and change an answer to try and earn points back. Sad that you have that happening at 4th grade, isn't it? I also write the number of points lost out to the side of the question.
Kim
Kim/4th/SC is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

What I do.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I put an X on the number if it is wrong. I don't put anything next to correct answers. I can't stand marks all over the paper because it is harder for me to see what was marked wrong. I realize everyone has there own style and they should do what works best for them.

Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

grading
Old 11-08-2005, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I put an x on wrong items. I then put the number wrong & the percentage at the top. Positive comments also go at the top or a sticker. I try not to add negative comments only constructive criticism at times.
I have tried to go the all positive route with c's for correct answers & the number correct on the paper, but I just found it took me longer to grade.
I also use green ink, so that the parents know which papers I've graded & which ones are student-graded. Mainly because the student graded papers are used for practice & aren't entered into my grade book.
Teach 5 is online now   Reply With Quote

SC

Grading
Old 11-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If it's something simple that's either right or wrong, I just put a slash mark through the question (same reason as another poster....so that students don't try to change it and then earn back points).

If it's a long answer question or something worth several points, I usually put how many points they missed (ex: -3), and if I feel like I need to, I make a comment about what they could do to improve that answer.

I think it's really up to each teacer to decide; I'm sure there's a reason for doing everything you described. However, I try to make things quicker, so I don't spend time marking correct answers.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

marking papers
Old 11-08-2005, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do it differently, what ever moves me for the day.
Sometimes I 'x' it, and other times I circle the problem.
Other times still I will / through the answer and write the
correct answer over it.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

how I do it
Old 11-08-2005, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I put as few marks as possible. I do write comments on some papers especially if the kids have to put in their own thoughts, but I try to keep it short. I want to respond to their thoughts a little to let them know I read their papers. When I give a test, I create an answer sheet on Excel that has a,b,c,d in little boxes that the kids scribble in. Then I take an answer key and punch holes on the correct answers. I lay this over the papers the kids do and magic marker all the dots that I see that don't have a scribble. It is quick grading.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Bertie

Bertie

research
Old 11-10-2005, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Depends what you want from the marking.

If you want students to correct and learn from their errors, recent research says, circle their errors and DON"T put a number on top of the page. If you put a number there the perception (on part of both sutdent and parent) is that the work is finished and there is no further chance to improve. Leaving no mark on top will encourage corrections.

yes

yes

Circle it
Old 11-13-2005, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I try to circle and allow my 3rd graders to find their error, and they are expected to make it right unless it is a test, then they can just see what was wrong. (math) For other things I usually will circle and then give correct answer. If they miss a step on the instructions I circle that step. Usually I do have them correct their answers. Classwork should be perfect and if only we had time it always would be! lol
If many students miss the same one we will do similar or same on the chalkboard.

nuhusker98

Fraction
Old 11-15-2005, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I try to put a fraction of the correct answers on the top of a paper. It focuses the kids on how many they got right, not how many they missed. It also makes the transition to seeing how fractions relate to percents much easier.
nuhusker98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfull

Grading
Old 11-19-2005, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I work with younger children 1st/2nd split. I must deal with many reversals so I grade papers like this:
If it is a test I x over the number they got wrong. No chance to fix.

If it is class work then I deal with details like letter/number reversals. I underline the reversals and if the the answer is wrong I circle it. The student's know the underline means they reversed the number/letter and need to fix it and give it back and if I circle the answer then it is wrong they need to fix it and give it back.
Writing assignments are marked only on Focus Correction Areas. These areas are established before the student's write so they know exactly what I will grade. FCA's are a part of the Collins Writing Program and they go like this;
(remember this is 1st/2nd grade)
1. Capital letter at beginning of sentences
2. Illustrations show what the they wrote about.
3. Use min. of 5 colors in illustrations.

These FCA's change with the assignment. They never go over 3. All other errors are ignored at this time. You can revisit the paper and focus on different areas. Portfolios help with this.

When I taught 7th I x out the incorrect answers so it could not be changed. If it was short answer and they missed key points given in the directions I underline/highlight the directions they missed and mark the total points they earned for the short answer they gave next to the number in the margin. I also put positive comments when I saw the student go beyond the min. or worded the answer showing their perspective.
Mindfull is offline   Reply With Quote
needhelp

needhelp

grading papers!!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've been reading this thread...I think I'm overdoing the grading in my classes. This is my first year to teach in a school. I think I'm grading WAY TOO MANY papers!!

Are you saying that for daily work which you grade/go over in class that you do not put a grade in the gradebook? How do you keep the sudents accountable for the work? If mine think something is not going to be graded, they will not do it.