List of Adjectives - ProTeacher Community

LovinWhatIDo

List of Adjectives
Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a list of adjectives you give to the students to use? Something to go by and give them ideas when they are writing. Thanks so much!

LovinWhatIDo is offline   Reply With Quote

newpalmetto

Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have a list, but one of our activities at the beginning of the year is taking a list of boring adjectives and brainstorming vivid ones in our writing journals- then the kids are a little more invested in the words and I feel that makes them more willing to use them
newpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4nm

Adverbs, too
Old 07-30-2009, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like to have the students brainstorm more vivid adjectives, and we do the same with adverbs. The students' writing really comes alive when they create their own lists.
Teach4nm is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

Old 07-31-2009, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't have the list, but we do an activity that gets kids to brainstorm much better lists than I could come up with, but it's for verbs...could easily do it with adjectives, too.

I take 6 gaint pieces of white paper, or butcher paper, whatever, and write a "boring verb" that shows up in their writing a lot (said, went, etc...) at the top of each paper.

Then, I break the kids into groups of 4. Each group gets 1 "boring verb", a different colored marker, and they have 2 minutes to come up with as many other verbs as they can that mean the same thing.

Then, I ring a bell and they move on to the next word (they rotate around the room)...the trick is they can't list any words that any other group has already written down.

They come up with HUGE lists, sometimes more than 200 words, and then I post them in the class when we do writing, and it's incredible how many fantastic words come out when I remind them to use the lists. It would be easy to adapt for adjectives...just write the "boring" adjectives at the top?
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

lizziew

Mrs.B--
Old 07-31-2009, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love your idea! That will be making an appearance in my class this year!

lizziew is offline   Reply With Quote

beaglebaby

list
Old 07-31-2009, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Check this out...

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/gra...ch/adjectives/
beaglebaby is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

grave yard
Old 07-31-2009, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We create a graveyard of Overused and Exhausted Words....may they rest in peace never to resurface in our writing again. Each child picks or is assigned a word that we overuse in our writing and creates a tombstone for that word. They create a funny epitaph and then they list the "survivors" on the tombstone. This is a prominent bulletin board in the room, we add words as we see fit, and the students refer to it all the time. I've done this for years now and students love this and it is very effective to think of words as "dead" to their writing. Their epitaphs are really great as well
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

Razzle Dazzle
Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Melissa Forney writes a series of books called Razzle Dazzle writing. She has numerous lists inside - colorful words, strong verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and transition words to name a few. Her books are great and very kid friendly!
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

CaNiKi

Same here
Old 07-31-2009, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also work with the kids to create a list. I get a GIANT piece of BB paper and I challenge the kids to fill the whole thing with adjectives. My students always enjoy the challenge of this.
CaNiKi is offline   Reply With Quote

luckymom

Sweet
Old 08-02-2009, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That is a sweet activity! This is my first job and I will be teaching 4th and 5th grade language arts and social studies. I will def. have to use this activity in my L/A classes.
luckymom is offline   Reply With Quote

slooper

Adjective Hunt
Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have my students go on a hunt for adjectives or verbs in picture books. Each group is given a stack of picture books and they have about 10 minutes to find as many interesting verbs or adjectives they can. We then list each one on an index card and hang it on our word line in our writing center.
slooper is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 08-04-2009, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have done the graveyard bulletin board in the past. Usually have begin it around Halloween. Last year, I tried something different. I make beds out of construction paper and laid the tired word to bed. The beds with the boring word on it was on a black background and directly across I had a yellow background for the lively words (which I had the students come up with). I arranged the exciting words like the rays of the sun. At the top of the night portion I had a crescent moon and at the top of the day half I had a sun. The board was titled, "It's Time to Lay Boring Words to Bed."
luvsteaching is offline   Reply With Quote