no id, no birth certificate, no social, what to do? - ProTeacher Community

anngirl

no id, no birth certificate, no social, what to do?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a young friend that is trying to make it on her own for the first time and doesn't have any of the above.

To get an ID you need proof of identitiy (photo, full name, dob)
To get a copy of the birth certificate you need a government issued ID.
To get a new social security card you need proof of identity. It says they want an ID that include birthdate but then it says :
"If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including: School ID card"

What a mess! What can she do??? All she has is a college ID. Does that statement above mean that they'll take that if that's all she has?

I'd appreciate any advice from those with previous experience.
Thanks!

newpalmetto

Old 07-31-2009, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would have her call the SS office and get advice from them..

tigmil

How does she have...
Old 07-31-2009, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

a college id without any of the other? I thought you had to give all that info to even be admitted.

Anyway, if she is enrolled in college, maybe there is someone in the admin office that can help her with these issues. That's what they're there for.

anngirl

Old 07-31-2009, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I guess she had something at sometime, but her parents have since disowned her and she has none of her documentation
Bad situation. The school said they couldn't help.

terryteach

Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just curious. How does your friend attend college with no ID?

gg

Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It depends on what state you live in for some of these documents but I would start with getting the easiest which is probably the social and going from there. My son had all of his id stolen once and he got his social with an old school id and utility bills with his name on them. He might have had an old health id card too. You can usually get an id from the DMV with a social, picture id (school) and I'd take anything else with a name and address on it - like utility bill, school bill, rent, etc. A lot of people have these problems so sometimes you have to establish things like utility bills to prove who you are. ANY kind of picture ID, even if it is old will help. I would look at the websites for each agency to see exactly what is acceptable proof.

tigmil

hire a lawyer
Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If the college really doesn't have anyone who can help, I would think her only action would be to find a lawyer to sort everything out.

Can she get high school records? Did she never have a social security card? Her number would have to be attached somewhere in her school records. If she has her number, she can apply for a birth certificate from her state's vital statistics office. The application forms are in any county courthouse and even in elementary schools. We have parents every year who have to obtain a vital statistics record so my school has the forms needed.

cntryheart

I am surprised
Old 07-31-2009, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

that she has to have ID to get a birth certificate. I am notorious for losing these kinds of things and I got many copies of my children's birth certificates and they did not have ID. I also helped a friend get copies of birth certificate for people she had never met when she was doing genealogy research for a gift for her grandmother. I would double check this since. In all of the states that I have lived in you can get a birth certificate by filling out a form and mailing it in.

Hokie Fan

Old 07-31-2009, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would imagine if her parents disowned her, her ss card and birth certificate would/should belong to her, not her parents.

Lady Teacher

Why is this so hard?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What do people do if they have a purse or a wallet stolen and they don't have ID?

My DH coaches a basketball team of under privileged kids. We had a tournament out of town and needed birth certificates. One kid who is in foster care didn't have any information. He wasn't even sure where he was born. We took his high school ID, a copy of his grades, and his enrollment forms from the school to the county clerks office. We took him with us so she could see that he was the person in the photo. We asked for a supervisor and explained the situation. We signed some kind of waiver and they let us pay for his birth certificate.

It's worth a shot. I never take no for an answer. I would keep asking for a supervisor until someone is able to help. Good luck.

one other thought...when my DD enrolled in school they made a copy of her social security card and made a copy of her license because she had a car on campus. There must be some one in the registrar's office that has a copy of this documentation.

girlymom

birth certificate on line
Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When we got passports I needed "Official Copies" of our birth certificates. I ordered them on line! I did not have to show or provide any ID. Then with the birth certificate and college ID she may be able to get a Social Security Card. There has to be a way to do this-think about what happens when there is a fire and people lose everything.

tia

birth certificate
Old 07-31-2009, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

i'm with some other PPers...when our birth certs were off in government land, awaiting approval of our passports, i had to order second copies of them for our sons because they were needed for baseball. i did this online and didn't have to "prove" anything...hmmm....maybe i had to input my own social security number...

Mrs. R

Old 07-31-2009, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I guess whether you have to show an id to get a copy of your birth certificate depends on the state. I would think that your friend's college has her social security number on file. She should be able to look at her own records, especially since the only id she has is her college one.

roo

birth cert
Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

When I had to submit my official birth cert. to get a passport, it came back to me in the mail in several pieces! I immediately got online and ordered a new one and they had to me within 48 hours. I think the birth cert. is the place to start.

Rascalrose

Old 07-31-2009, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

From looking at the Soc Sec website, if she's already had a SS# then her citizenship has been established. A college ID should be considered a school ID and that should be enough to get her started. If you think it might be a problem make sure you go to an actual SS office instead of doing it online. You'll get help much faster in person.

After that I'd work on the birth certificate, then a state ID/driver's license.

It'll be a frustrating process, and it may take some time, but it'll work out. Good luck!

hayleys_mommy

Old 07-31-2009, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Here's a link to the office for birth certificates. It lists all the state offices. I used it when I had to get a new copy of my birth certificate and all I needed to do was have the birth info. and the money. Some states require you to send a copy of your photo ID and some don't, so I guess it depends on the state your friend was born in.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm

Once she gets her birth certificate she should be able to get her SS card and then get the ball rolling on the other items. HTH

Last edited by hayleys_mommy; 07-31-2009 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: forgot the link LOL

Alicia G

Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Maybe she should just run for president?

She should bring all that she does have (college ID, bank statements, medical records, tax returns) and see if those all put together add up to an ID.

She should do whatever she can to secure these things now because she'll need them later.

annie_g

Old 08-01-2009, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I agree start with the birth cert. She should be able to get a certified copy from the city or state where she was born. Then she can get a replacement SS card. Also, if necessary, she can probably sue her parents to turn over the documents. Probably a letter from an attorney would do the trick. Has she ever had a driver's license? She should be able to get a replacement of that if she has.

glaciergirl

Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

When I had to get a passport last year, I only had a copy of my birth certificate, and they wanted a raised seal copy. I ordered it online and received it in a week.

anngirl

Old 08-05-2009, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thanks for all the advice.

She can't get a birth certificate w/o a state issued ID.

She was however able to get her social! Amazingly enough it only took about 10 minutes and they took her school photo id as proof of identity- I guess we were worried about nothing