Classroom Smells... - ProTeacher Community

SweetTea

Classroom Smells...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are your ideas on having air fresheners in your room? Last year, when I would go to pick students for Title I some of the rooms I entered were smelly. Some students complained that their classrooms smelled like feet, sweat, and BO. Is it appropriate to have fresheners? Pros? Cons? What kinds do people use to be discrete, not offensive, and what about allergies? I don't expect that it will ever smell wonderful, but I am trying to be proactive.

Last edited by SweetTea; 07-31-2009 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: oops...spelling correction
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Glade
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I normally am unbothered by smells, etc but my classroom was SO bad last year that I got a Glade Plug-In last year. People regularly complimented how great my room smelled. I rarely had to change it (maybe 3-4 times all year) and plugged it in an inconspicuous (sp) place. I got lavender which is supposed to be calming-who knows if it worked, but it couldn't hurt. No allergy issues...
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

BBrocks

I do!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have air freshners in my room - the cheap dollar ones that smell like raspberry - i think they are renuzit brand.... I can get them at target or publix and are always really cheap, but last a while and smell really good - my fifth graders always commented on how good the room smells!
BBrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenagain

Funny you mentioned this...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just wrote on my grocery list to pick up an air freshener for my classroom.

I use a plug in apple cinnamon one. People always comment on how good the room smells and with 5th graders, that is a true compliment. It truly makes a big difference to walk into a sweet - cozy smelling room.
Jenagain is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i had one of those airwick freshmatics, and used a citris smell (since florals give me a headache). i kept it where all of my teacher items were kept, so students wouldn't be near it, and by the time the citris scent came to the kids, it was a light smell. people always complimented the smell of my room.

another teacher in my building used a desktop cleaner that had a fruity smell, and she would clean the desktops every morning before school started, and it smelled delicious...although i don't have that kind of energy in the morning.

definitely check on allergies and asthma before you do any of this.

MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

sunshinee

Oh man.....
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great.....I have citrus scents in my classroom for my energy level to remain high. I better get some lavender to calm my kids down.
sunshinee is offline   Reply With Quote

JCat

I do
Old 07-31-2009, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I NEED to have air freshners in my room...it's right near the bathroom. YUCK.

I use those Renuzit gels. They are cheap and I put them all 4 corners of the room. I usually use the Relaxing Spa scent...it's fresh and clean smelling--and doesn't make them think of food!

When I feel like splurging, I'll use the Clean Linen plug-ins. BUT, I'm afraid I fire hazards...so I don't do that too often.
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote

INteach6

It is a must...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have to have some sort of air freshener in my sixth grade classroom. I like the Lavender Vanilla scent from Glade or Apple Cinnamon from Glade or Air Wick. I always get compliments on how good my room smells (especially when it is hot outside and the students come back from P.E. or recess)!
INteach6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach2Threes

Kirklands Sachets
Old 07-31-2009, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I loved the Kirkland Sachets in the Tuscan Grape scent. My kids absolutely loved the way they made my room smell. Toward the end of the year I put a pod warmer in my classroom and had a Ginger Lime sent wax pod on it. It was wonderful also. I would love to have a grape wax pod, but they don't have them right now.... so, I guess I will have to find another scent. I try to stay away from candles because of the flames. My pod warmer even has a timer where I can't accidentally leave it on over night!!!
Teach2Threes is offline   Reply With Quote

HBteach

Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like the air freshners as well. But I remember reading somewhere that they weren't good for the kids. ? Don't know where I read it.

i didn't use them last year but I think I will this year until someone complains.
HBteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Old 07-31-2009, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a Glade plug in. I love it. I plug it in by my bathrooms in my room, which happen to be by the door to the hall. I want people to smell something good when they walk into my room instead of the restrooms. . People are always commenting on how good it smells, even the kids.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

Mangorain

Volcanic Rocks
Old 07-31-2009, 11:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Pet supply stores sell bags of volcanic rocks that absorb odors for upto 3 months and are renewable by placing them in the sun for a few hours. My vet recommended these. Not very pricey. Try Foster and Smiths or PetSupplyDirect.

I also use a big vase filled with potpourri that I coil a small set of Christmas lights thru the potpurri. The heat of the lights make the room smell so good and I change the potpourri by the season. Usually I use lavender since it's supposed to be calming but at Christmas I use gingerbread or cinnamon.
Mangorain is offline   Reply With Quote

colormegreen

Old 08-01-2009, 03:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have the cheap ones from renuzit, they are under $1.00 and they don't plug in so I don't have to worry about that - we can't have anything that plugs in because it will use up electricity.
colormegreen is offline   Reply With Quote

goldenbeads

Absorbers
Old 08-01-2009, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm one of the smell sensitive ones. I open windows as much as possible and have lots of spider plants. I have a bottle of unscented Febreze and I use Simple Green to clean lots of things.

The natural smells don't bother me so much and the citrus ones are the absolute best, but the spray ones - most of them - will make my eyes water, my nose run, and some will make me nauseous. If it smells like food - vanilla, cinnamon, I can usually tolerate those better.

I do not have asthma, and my allergies are to dust mites and shellfish, so checking those might not help you too much.

I hate a stinky room, too, but too much chemical perfume makes me sick - literally.
goldenbeads is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 08-01-2009, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

A coworker of mine read up on all the research when she had a very rough class and it said vanilla was very calming. So I use a vanilla plug in most of the time. In the fall, I like a spicy scent like apple cinnamon. I am allergic to some scents so I cant do flower scents or perfume smelling ones.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

mizzreadalot

Old 08-01-2009, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I usually have a vanilla candle in a candle warmer going to make my classroom smell better.
mizzreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenagain

Old 08-01-2009, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I miss my candle warmer! I got scolded by the firefighter who checked our school and wrote me up! Grrrr....

That's why I switched to a plug in.
Jenagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

I have a warmer
Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

which actually melts candles or soybeads from the lightbulb underneath. It's totally safe. I had a very favorite scent years ago called Mint Julep...it smelled so clean and was not bothersome to anyone. The company doesn't make them anymore, so I have been using a scent called Sugar Cookie. It's so yummy smelling! The company that it comes from is called Beanpod Candles.
Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

no more plug ins
Old 08-01-2009, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

2 years ago we were told no more plug ins, so I have a battery operated glade- spritzer that I put by my window near my desk. I also got the reeds in a matching scent (in the fall/winter I like the cinnamon/apple scents, and in the spring I like the vanilla or "crisp linen" scents.) I need to have nice smells in my room, and so far no allergy complaints.
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2cook

candle warmer
Old 08-01-2009, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I use a candle warmer too b/c I like the homey smell and I like to change the scent from day to day (according to my mood! ). I had one overheat and burst the glass of the candle once but I learned that if it starts acting funny in any way (not heating, etc.) to THROW IT AWAY IMMEDIATELY!
luv2cook is offline   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

I will use
Old 08-01-2009, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Bath and Body Works "Wallflowers!"
LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

catherder

stinky room
Old 08-01-2009, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

what's a window?

(we don't have them in our rooms- i sure wish we did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
catherder is offline   Reply With Quote

LVNSUMMER

Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I use the Yankee scentstories player. It's fantastic!!
LVNSUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 08-01-2009, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

luv2cook,

you can get an electronic tart warmer at bed bath and beyond for 20 bucks (before the 20% coupon they always send out). then you just buy the little tarts and place them on the top. they melt, and there is no glass to break. i've had mine for years and it works wonderfully!

i recently found one that plugs in and is small, which works great in a bathroom.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

Artbex

french vanilla coffee
Old 08-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

We only have 2 outlets in our old classrooms, so plugs ins (my first choice) are not an option. I need my coffee to wake me up, so I chose that route. I use french vanilla coffee and everyone on the hall loves to smell my room, the kids ask when I haven't made a pot. The tutors have to work in the halls and they say it keeps them alert. I also have Woodwick oil reeds.
Artbex is offline   Reply With Quote

hawkeye

Fire hazard
Old 08-01-2009, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I completely understand about needing fresh scent in the room (I teach 6th grade) but I just wanted to share that our school was sited a couple of years ago during a fire department walk through because of a plug in. Not sure if it was justified or not but they were banned afterwards.

Personally I am a fan of washing the desks with Mr. Clean with Frebreze once a week and spraying Febreze room spray daily.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinlife

Old 08-01-2009, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I keep 2 plug-ins in my room at all times, and two or three cans of febreze. I also clean with the cleaners that have febreze in them. I am very averse to bad smells, so I have to do something to solve the problem. I had a candle warmer, but our principal had us get rid of those, afraid that a kid would pour hot wax on themselves. The kids were so used to it, they would ask me to spray the febreze. You can usually smell my classroom from about 15 feet away. I stick with clean or fall spice scents. I have used them for 7 or 8 years now and have never had a single complaint. I am tempted to get one of those sprayers that spray the scent every few minutes this year.
luvinlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladybug03

If you want your room to smell good...
Old 08-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Go with the Sweet Cinnamon Pumkin scent @ Bath & Body Works!

I also use a lot of Febreze and my room gets compliments for smelling good all the time!
Ladybug03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca

Old 08-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I also use the Glade Plug-In WITH A FAN! I like that I can plug one in, and have it blow the smell throughout the room.

I will also admit that I got the plug-in due to one stinky student, and so now if there is a stinky student, they end up sitting near the plug-in!
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote

LP24OU

Bath & Body Works
Old 08-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I too LOVE the Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin -- but they now carry an odor eliminating line -- they smell AMAZING so I think I may try those out.
LP24OU is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-01-2009, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I have bad allergic reactions to scents, but I can tolerate Oust and Neutra Air in the "linen" scent. First thing every morning, I spray the room, and then leave until things "settle". I repeat during my planning period and after school.

I never spray anything with students in the room, nor do I stay in the room after spraying anything. I also never have anything out that stays "on" all the time since that triggers allergies.

Right now I have two of the solid fresheners in my room, but they will come out when school starts on Thursday. I put them out when I fix my room to counteract the smell of the cleansers.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Tabula_Rasa

Old 08-02-2009, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I would imagine you have to be careful with scents in the classroom, due to allergies, as mentioned. I am thinking of trying a few reed diffusers around the room. I don't have one at home, so I am not sure - are they scented enough to help the room smell better? At least I won't go home and worry I left something burning or plugged in!
Tabula_Rasa is offline   Reply With Quote