Stop Light- Behavior Chart - ProTeacher Community

wgirl

Stop Light- Behavior Chart
Old 08-02-2009, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use the "stop light" (red light, yellow light, green light) behavior chart with your students in your classroom? If so, do you use clothespins with the students names on it? Has it been effective for behavior in your classroom?

Does anyone have a template or picture of how you made your stop light? I will have 24 students in 2 classes, so I'm trying to find an easy and effective way to use it with students. I would have to make 48 clothespins with each student's name on it. Any ideas shared are appreciated!

Thanks!

wgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

tsara78

Stop Light
Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use a variation of the stop light in my ECSE room. I use the red, green, and yellow colors. On my whiteboard I have a strip of green paper with a Boardmaker picture for great with the word great printed on it, then I have all the childrens names underneath it on magnets. If their name has to be moved I move their name. Yellow has a caution sign from Boardmaker and the words Be Careful, red has a Boardmaker picture for Oh no! and the words Oh No! printed on it. I don't have as many students as you do, so this works welll for me.

The K4 teacher next door to me uses the stoplight system and she has 25 students all day. The names are small and are on magnets as well and the magnets are strong enough to hold through the construction paper stoplight on her whiteboard.

We both use a clipboard and write down throhout the day why the student had to move from green to yellow to red, that way at the end of the day when we send behavior notes home we are able to remember and write a note why. She has a small note about the size of a small postcard that says " I had a _____ day". Where the ___ is there is an empty circle. SHe colors in the color they were on. I've also seen teachers have these notes printed on the color paper that they children were on. She then writes a quick sentence about why they were on what color. It works well for her.

Since I teach ECSE and have K3 and K4 children, sometimes the stoplight isn't effective for my students with significant delays because they do not yet have an understanding of those concepts. For my higher kids I find it very effective and the parents like ti as well.
For the students where this is not effective (students with emotional/behavior disabilities) we use an activity based ssytem where they get a happy, sad or straight face for every acvtivity that we do.

For the kids where the stoplight system is effective I like it, because I can keep track in my gradebook of their days. I then can see patterns for students who might be slippinng an dpossibly need a BIP/FBA added to their IEPS or see if there is a pattern that might relate to a problem in the classroom or at home and then I can talk to the parents. I record where the children are in my gradebook before I go home at the end of the day. It takes me about 2 minutes.
tsara78 is offline   Reply With Quote

wgirl

Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for sharing how you use the stop light in your classroom. Thanks for you ideas!
wgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
QueenRosie

QueenRosie

Clothespins
Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used a similar red/yellow/green system in the past and it was pretty effective. I used a yardstick which I just colored with markers. Everyone started on green every day, so green was the largest section. Sorry I don't have a picture! I think the most important part was for student to see a visual consequence for their behavior, positive or negative. As tsara said, the trick is for some students to understand, "I hit so-and-so and that's why I'm on red." I think for this system to work for 4 year olds, you really have to review behaviors & consequences at each opportunity.

I did 2 things that were very meaningful to the kids: I recorded in their folder everyday what color they were on & why. Also, I added purple to the top of my yardstick for exceptionally helpful, caring, positive behaviors. Kids & parents loved being on purple & I recorded those actions just as well as the yellow & red ones. The specific examples really made a difference.

I did have to make a clothespin for each student. I had 2 classes, so I used different colors of the plastic clothespins for each class & wrote their names on with a sharpie. 2 classes makes everything with organization difficult! Good luck!

yooper

Hey -
Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We were just talking about this on the Kindergarten board. You might want to check out that discussion too.

yooper is offline   Reply With Quote

yooper

QueenRosie
Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really like your purple idea. I think I'm going to add it on for next year
yooper is offline   Reply With Quote
QueenRosie

QueenRosie

yooper
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Great! I hope you & the kids love it!
WendyJ

WendyJ

PreSchool Teacher
Old 08-09-2009, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We use Green, Yellow and Red cards. They each have a pocket with 3 cards in it. (I bought the little pockets that you put in a library book from a teachers store). Everyone starts on Green, which has a smiley face on it. If they are talked to after a warning, they give me a card and the next card showing is yellow (which has a neutral-not happy/not sad face). The next card is Red with a sad face.

kthwhite

Stoplight from Classroom Direct
Old 08-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Classroom Direct has an inexpensive stoplight (nylon) pocket chart with little people that you write the students' names on. They also sell replacement people...
kthwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
D. Greer

D. Greer

Stop Light
Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I put a child's name on one clothespin and then move the pin to each circle color. I have also seen the idea where there is an additional green circle with a "W" on it (warning). This gives a child the opportunity to get back on track and a second chance before yellow.