Help

ARCHIVE

DRA2 assessment

>

Happy Teacher

DRA2 assessment
Old 08-28-2006, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We had an inservice on how to administer the DRA2 to our students. The consultant said the goal was to find out the students independent reading level. She said the instructional level would be one level higher. I understand that, but here is my question.....I have a sheet that shows the correlations between the DRA2 level and different reading series. My school uses Rigby. When I try to determine the Rigby level a student would be on do I use the DRA2 independent level or instructional level? Also, does anyone know a website that shows a correlation for fourth and fifth grade? I hope these questions make sense! Thanks

Happy Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kiasun711

this may help
Old 08-29-2006, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not familiar with Rigby but I use this web-site for correlations: http://www.sccisd.org/targetplus/dra...lent-chart.pdf. Hope this helps!

Amanda
kiasun711 is offline   Reply With Quote

SandyJ

Arghhhhh
Old 08-29-2006, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I got this job, they gave me a DRA kit and said here, you need to use this and test the kids in the green group. HUH????
I had a lot of years teaching experience, but I had never heard of DRA or knew what in the world they were talking about with a "green group."

No instruction book....they told me it was easy and I could figure it out. NOT!!!! At least you had an inservice....

kiasun711, I'm going to check out your link. Maybe then I won't feel so ignorant. Thanks!
SandyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

kiasun711

wow
Old 08-30-2006, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

SandyJ
I can't believe they just gave you the kit! We had to take a 8 week mandatory class. It was so boring but at least I know all the ins and outs of it!

Good Luck!
Amanda
kiasun711 is offline   Reply With Quote

n2n2n2n

Dra
Old 08-30-2006, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We got the kit and were told to do it. What kind of an inservice was spread out over 8 weeks????

What is the difference between DRA and DRA2?

n2n2n2n is offline   Reply With Quote
clover2

clover2

teacher
Old 09-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The DRA is the original one. The newer version (with a few changes from the original) is called the DRA2.
LJL

LJL

Dra2
Old 10-07-2007, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Let's say there is a first grade student who is reading easily a level 30 and can orally retell every single thing that happened in the book but is having difficulty with the writing portion? What happens then? Do they pass and if they don't pass the writing portion only up to say a 18 are the second grade teachers SERIOUSLY going to begin teaching the child at that level because the writing was not there yet??? This seems so wrong to me. What about kids who have not developed fine motor skills and are tired after writing a few sentences ?? I like this test EXCEPT for this!!!! No one seems to be able to answer this question for me anywhere??!!!!

litchick

DRA2 and written/retell
Old 02-10-2008, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

DRA2 Written Retell begins at level 28. The first phase of the assessment is oral reading fluency. If the kids do not read "fast" enough, they fall into the intervention range and you go no further. You actually have to keep dropping down a level! If a child doesn't do well on the written/retell, but can retell beautifully, it doesn't matter according to this assessment. I am not impressed. I don't feel it is developmental. I much prefer the original DRA for the population I teach, which is a multiage g/t primary class.
litchick is offline   Reply With Quote
missbellen

missbellen

are you kidding
Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You state that you were a teacher for many years. You should review what you wrote and use correct grammar.
I hope you didn't teach reading and writing. Maybe that is why you can not figure out the DRA2.
MaineTeacher

MaineTeacher

Are you Serious?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Missbellen do you know what I teach my behavioral students? No, probably not...If you don't have anything nice to say than you shouldn't say anything at all! Your post didn't even contribute to the thread!

I have used the original DRA a handful of times during the four years I have been in education, and I prefer it over the new version DRA2. I feel that if administrators are going to ask teachers to use this program than they need to train us so that the programs are accuratly used.

SF Student

SF Student

student teacher sf
Old 10-28-2017, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am in a grad certificate program writing a paper about running records looking at this thread.

I love this thread because it's honest.

I just love it.

cheers!