ideas for displaying student work year round - ProTeacher Community

chocaholic

ideas for displaying student work year round
Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I read a thread a while back on this topic but can't find it now.
Any ideas for year round displays of student work that are easy to change and will stay up month after month?
Thanks

chocaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

teachfla

student work
Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I glued mini clothespins to my cabinets and hung up student work -- super easy and colorful. I wish I had enough cabinets in my new classroom to do the same thing!
teachfla is offline   Reply With Quote

sassy56

Quality Work
Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have one up that says "Quality Work". I have a laminated piece of construction paper (a little larger than 9x12). Then I glue on a clothespin at the very top. To the clothespin I glue a cute cut-out (star, pencil, etc.) I make one for each child and write their name on the cut-out. Each week they choose one of their qualaity papers to display on the wall. It's easy to change because you just clip the paper under the clothespin.
sassy56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Gators

scrapbook paper
Old 08-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I put up cute 12x12 scrapbook paper and then hot glue a clothespin to the wall and hang stuff on top of it. Easy to pull down and switch out.
Go Gators is offline   Reply With Quote

driventoteach

Old 08-03-2009, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Page protectors. The easiest thing. Put them, take them out, switch em.

driventoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

page protectors.....
Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What type of tape would work best to put these together like a quilt in order to post work outside the classroom - my school has a place on each wall outside the classroom where student work can be posted. Thanks for suggestions!
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4k

Old 08-03-2009, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One of the teachers at my school displays her student all year with a "Look what we have done tower". She uses boxes that are all the same size and attaches them together to form a tower. In the bottom box she places something heavy to keep it from falling over. This year she put a big bag of kitty litter in it. Once she has the tower up she covers the entire thing with fabric and then puts the students work up .

The kids loved seeing their work up and she had bulletin board space for other items.
teach4k is offline   Reply With Quote

mlbolton

"Smarty Pants"
Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I took different shades of denim and created denim jeans. I included belt loops, cheap belts (found them at garage sales), patch on one, trim on one, etc. I made sure there were some gender neutral and then equal # of girl and boy jeans. When I made the pants I made sure the top was "about" the width of construction paper. I laminated the construction paper and adhered a sheet of it above each pair of jeans on the board. I left this up all year and then I just placed the good work on the laminated construction paper. I changed it out very regularly. I titled the board " Smarty Pants" The kids Loved it! I am in workshops all week, but I will try to post a picture of it.
mlbolton is offline   Reply With Quote

jhills

These all sound great!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would love to see pictures of what you're describing...I'm very visual!

If I had a HUGE room, the neatest idea I've seen is to hang 11x14 black frames and change out the work inside them. The size would accommodate all kinds of paper sizes. You wouldn't even have to put them in one place...you could hang them in different places in the room so the student would know that is "their spot" and could even decorate the top of the frame to personalize it.

I think I'll try the 12x12 scrapbook paper idea...sounds great!
jhills is offline   Reply With Quote

catherder

student work
Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

i stole.. er.. got a great idea about doing it in the hallway- at the beginning of the year, i had the kids make a large self portrait (i think it was 12x17?) and hung them in a row high in the hall. under that, i ran a long sentence strip (it was a huge roll). i put a paper clip on the strip under each picture. every week or 2, the kids themselves (it was 2nd grade) would pick a graded paper they were proud of and go put it under their pictures and bring the old one in and put it in their mailboxes to go home. it was titled "look what we've done. we are proud of these!"

parents loves it, my principal loved it, the students loved it and i barely had anything to do to maintain it. i am most definitely doing it again this year with my 4th grade. if you have higher kids, they can also add a stickie note explaining WHY it is their favorite for the week.

ps- my portraits were from the shoulder up, but i've also seen where the teacher traced each kiddo (they had more wall space than i have). this year, instead of head and shoulders portrait, i may have the kids decorate a paper doll type idea........
catherder is offline   Reply With Quote

DragonLady09

baggie quilt
Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I got this idea from a Bag Ladies workshop. Take gallon ziplock bags, (Walmart brand works well) and tape them together using colored duct tape. The duct tape looks like sashing in a quilt. Be sure to leave the zipper free. Insert student work and hang. My grade level loved it so much that I had to make one for each of them using a different color of duct tape. There is even a camo colored one for the guys among us!
DragonLady09 is offline   Reply With Quote

the enforcer

Gallon Ziplock bags
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

How do you hang these exactly?
the enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote

DragonLady09

hanging
Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Since these were all taped together it was like one huge quilt. Mine was a 5x5 bag quilt. I used the top row for a title row. The hall where we hung them was made of a material we could use staples in. We stapled around the outer sides and on the inner sashing as needed to support it. Just make sure not to staple the bags closed! It wasn't that heavy.

If you can't staple around it, you might consider making a sleeve at the top that could be used like the top of a curtain and hung from a rod or with hooks from the ceiling.

I'm at a different campus now and will have to figure another way to hang mine, too.
DragonLady09 is offline   Reply With Quote

UF94Gator

works for me
Old 08-04-2009, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have brick walls so I use stikki clips. Here is a link to show you a picture (I don't use this site to purchase my clips it was just the clearest picture I could find).

http://www.dickblick.com/products/stikki-clips/

PS I like the 12x12 paper background...I think I might try using fabric so that it won't fade
UF94Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

soxgirl

lakeshore frames
Old 08-04-2009, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I found these frames at Lakeshore and love them! They are reusable frames that have a clear page protector-like pouch in the middle of the frame, so all you have to do is slip the new piece of work into the frame. Super easy!

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...~p|FF994~~.jsp
soxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote