Help

ARCHIVE

Dyslexia

>

anm

Dyslexia
Old 08-29-2006, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student, kindergarterner, whom myself and the mother both suspect may be dyslexic. Is it too early to diagnosis a child at 5? He turns his letters around. He tries to start reading from the right side. He has written his own name backwards, then argued with me when we were discussing were it was wrong or not. Is there really anything to worry about or mom and I just going overboard?

anm is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

too soon-
Old 08-29-2006, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel it is much too soon. I am a sped teacher, and we wouldn't even entertain this for another year or son. Very common to change letters, write backwards, etc. Children have to first be given a chance to learn.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

agree with Dee
Old 08-29-2006, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

reversals are VERY VERY common with K and even some first graders who haven't done a lot of reading and writing.

Where a sentence starts and the notion of reverse sweep would be a start for this child (and lots of K students).......model it during read aloud, interactive writing, and guided reading group. Thats why he is at school, to learn that from you.

The name, numbers, and letters will come around with practice and expirence. Don't even mention the b/d reversals--still see 2nd graders doing this!

I do think it is unfair to the parent to worry about this and start putting labels lke dyslexia. This child just started K! Have mom do fun things with him, like make letters in shaving cream with his finger. Have her put to each word as she reads to him and involve him..."where should I start reading the story from? "Good try, we always start here though..take his finger and move it.
kali is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Too Early
Old 08-29-2006, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In PA we're not even allowed to test for dyslexia until 3rd grade (last I heard anyway). I had a child in K who did many of the things that you are talking about. He's in second grade now and I have him again. He's not doing them anymore. They learn as they get older. Give him some time to adjust.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Laura

I disagree
Old 08-29-2006, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

With much support a child with dyslexia will have a better attitude about school if supported early. I understand that it is too early to diagnose dyslexia but if there are enough other things there support needs to be provided.
Example is if language is misused or came late for the child (undeveloped vocab, mis use of pronouns, late talker) and he/she has motor planning issues (seems a bit clumsey, not interested in coloring etc). There are enough issues there for help.
My son talked at two and a half, did not walk until 18 months, and had severe motor planning issues. We started out in the other health imparements because LD was not able to be diagnosed until 2nd grade. That got him the services he needed until the second grade and LD was the diagnosis with Dyslexia. He has many accomodations and supports and thinks of school as a great place.

Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
maryteach

maryteach

The term "dyslexia"
Old 08-30-2006, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

gets thrown around a lot, and usually in conjunction with kids who are not dyslexic at all. Not all reading disorders are dyslexia. There are many, many different types of dyslexia, each with different "symptoms." There is rarely anyone in a public school, including me, who can diagnose or successfully remediate true dyslexia on their own. That's because there are several different places within the brain where dyslexia can arise. Each type of dyslexia is entirely different from the other types. I can tell you that the dyslexic are usually very, very intelligent, even gifted, sometimes.

Anyway, you should always take it with a grain of salt when you are told, especially by a parent, that a child is dyslexic. Only a neurologist can diagnose dyslexia, and as I said, most reading disorders are NOT dyslexia. And yes, the reversal thing is very common and is actually not one of the first indicators.