Kindergarten Writer's Workshop - ProTeacher Community

Newbie101

Newbie101

Kindergarten Writer's Workshop
Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking to start using more of this format to teach writing this year. What do you include in the writer's notebook? How do you organize the 3 ring binder? Any attachments, examples, or documents you can post would be very helpful. TIA!

Also, if you have any samples of choices you give your children for writing paper that would be very helpful. I teach kindergarten and am new at this.

dreamgirl

Old 08-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is what I am thinking I want to use for my writer's workshop notebook this year. Visit Shari Sloane's website at:

http://www.kidscount1234.com/

Go to the writing section down at the bottom left of the screen. Once there, it is about midway down on the right side of the screen.

I used something similar (but purchased and expensive) with my second graders last year and they worked great! I like this one because of the flip out on the front if they need it and don't want to bother with the mini offices. I also like it because I can add to it if need be and I could change the paper to something with more lines for those children who will want to write more!
dreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

melons

Writers workshop
Old 08-04-2009, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use a two pocket folder and set it up like Lucy Caulkins does in her writers workshop It is not a binder format the student get paper as needed to add to their stories...One side of the folder has a green dot the other a red dot...the students know the green side is for writing in progress or being editted and the red is for complete stories....As the students finish their story they share it and we comment on it then it gets filed in their writing file folder for safe keeping....
melons is offline   Reply With Quote

KDGTEACHER

Old 08-04-2009, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you use personal word walls? If so are there any samples you can attach? Thanks for your help. Please keep the ideas coming!
KDGTEACHER is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariposa

Personal Word Walls
Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't use personal word walls per se, but monthly I have an updated sight word list that they keep in their writing folders, and another copy goes home.

We are required to use the Lucy Calkins lessons, and later in the units, it calls for the kids to keep a mini-notebook to record writing ideas. I watch all year for inexpensive packs of tiny spiral bound notebooks (they're something like 3"x4" and I sometimes find them 6/$1.00 at Walgreen's). I also have created my own word-keeper books, where each page is divided into two columns, with a letter at the top of each column and an example word and a clip art picture which begin with that letter. I run these pages back-to-back and have a cover/title page, the I staple them to bind. (I didn't use it last year, and I'm hoping it's still on a thumb drive somewhere).

Mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote