enVision Math - ProTeacher Community

sdiaz21

enVision Math
Old 08-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone using the program enVision Math? I'm in the process of a week long training and wanted to get your input if you are already using the program. Also has anyone developed vocabulary cards for the topics? I know that the book comes with some, but they are just the word and definition. I was looking for some more visual ones, such as in the animated glossary online. Any feedback would be appreciated.

sdiaz21 is offline   Reply With Quote

gingerg49

Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are supposed to be getting enVision this year. Training should be the first week teachers are back. I did use some of the samples they provided last year and I liked them. Sorry I can't help more.
gingerg49 is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I honestly do not like EnVision. There are a lot of mistakes in the books and workbooks, they assume kids know skills that they don't, and they test on material that is not taught. Often times in the math book the guided practice does not match the independent practice. I also do not like the way the book teaches multiplication and a few other skills.

I do like the homework books, but I prefer my old text (Scott Foresman). I actually have to use my old text to teach certain subjects.

Example: Properties of Multiplication. Associative was not taught, but it was tested.
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

gingerg49

Old 08-05-2009, 01:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was hoping this text would be better. The issues you mentioned were problems I had with our old text and I basically gave up using it in class. I guess I'll have to wait and see, but it's ridiculous to have textbooks and workbooks with mistakes. They should be more careful when editing them. Thanks for the heads up.
gingerg49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jalon

enVision
Old 08-05-2009, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We dropped Everyday Math and are going to enVision this year. Training is tomorrow!

I'm glad EM is gone. From what I've reviewed and looked at online (tutorials, a webinar) I think I'll like it. It can't be any worse than EM! It took our district committee (teachers) forever to finally narrow down and decide on a program. They took a long, hard look at everything before presenting the two finally choices for full faculty vote. I'm glad we've finally got training planned for tomorrow. I'm anxious for the tech. training also.

Good luck with it!!

Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

4wheelingtchr

EnVision for 1 year so far
Old 08-05-2009, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We adopted this text for math last year, so I have one year "under my belt" using this program. The technology component is a plus, which I found myself using to help reinforce a lesson/concept. I didn't always like the lesson online, but the kids really seemed to, so that's why I used it so much. Other than that, I know that I have experienced much the same problems that DoxieTeacher mentioned. Probably my biggest complaint was the material on the tests wasn't necessarily taught, which created much more work for me because I would either have to review each test thoroughly before using it, or just plain cross certain questions out/make them extra credit...the kids would get frustrated with wording in questions, but I did like that it actually required them to "think" They have lots of "writing to explain", which was hard for the kids to understand, but it did help them think more critically. I am still waiting to review last year's test scores to see if the program helped....nonetheless, we are stuck with this program at least 7 years now, so I am making the best of it!
4wheelingtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Green Gables

Envision use
Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When we had a chance to preview the Envision materials 2 years ago, I was teaching 2nd grade and the kids loved it. It was such a relief from our other curriculum, they actually asked for more when we sampled some of their materials. We officially used Envision Math last year and liked it, but we don't use it exclusively. We actually have CScope- Don't even get me started on the frustrations of that one. Envisions does seem to have some gaps, but I like the quick checks, and the practice games. I use the practice games during small group time. The eye catching pictures and examples in the textbook are refreshing, since we use CScope that has little kid friendly text and a mound of worksheets. I also like the games on computer and the video lessons. I haven't got the knack of using the individual computer practice for the kids, but would like to use it some this year.
Green Gables is offline   Reply With Quote

bohoteacher

Here, here!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You said it, Sister! This is our second year of our adoption. Everything you say is true and then some.

I do like the web access, though.
bohoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sdiaz21

Old 08-05-2009, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm kind of bummed reading everyone comments. I hoped this program would be better considering all the games and technology aspects. I'm in my 3rd day of training for the program and thought that it sounded good but knew that I had to hear from those who have actually had a chance to teach it. Guess I'm going to have to really look at the tests and TE for errors .... as if we didn't have anything else to do right?
sdiaz21 is offline   Reply With Quote

jrose

Topic Openers
Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used the Envision math this year. I liked the topic openers with the technology and some of the worksheets. I had to be careful with the worksheets since some of them were too hard. They don't have alot of help for the struggling students. I wanted to use the center games last year, but I had a challenging group and couldn't because of discipline issues. I'm looking forward to my 2nd year of Envision so I can try some of those center games. Good Luck!
jrose is offline   Reply With Quote

TuesdayBear

Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We're just starting it. Or, rather, we will when we get our books. They apparently sent the wrong version, so we're trying to get the new ones. We're a week into our year now, too.

I'm using the online component right now. I loved the Topic opener video. It really piqued the kids' interest in numeration. I really love the Spiral Review sheets for morning work. I do not, however, agree with enVision's theory that teaching key words is wrong, especially at this level. I also feel that there is not enough guided or independent practice in the books.

And we don't have time for math centers, so we won't be doing that. Plus, Dh, who teaches secondary math, says that the kids who learned math using hands-on manipulatives are always at a disadvantage in algebra compared to the kids who learned it the old-fashioned way. So we won't at all be focusing on the manipulatives anyway.

We basically voted for enVision only because of the technology component.

So, basically, I'm teaching our standards using Accelerated Math, and will use enVision as a supplement. We got awesome results doing the AM thing last year, and we're continuing with it.
TuesdayBear is offline   Reply With Quote