Teaching Main Idea to 2'nd graders - ProTeacher Community

harley

Teaching Main Idea to 2'nd graders
Old 08-05-2009, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My first Reading Unit is themed BEING ME and the first focus skill is Main Idea. (Trophies) Does anyone have any cute ideas or strategies on teaching this skill - something that really makes it stick? I want something I can carry over into a learning center. I am in a Reading First school. (This is my first year teaching too )

harley is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 08-05-2009, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Before I even start Main Idea with my second graders. We go over categories. I break them into groups and give them a set of index cards that I have written words on. I have them sort the cards and glue onto a big piece of paper. When they are finished sorting, I have them think of a phrase that connects the words. For example I might have : apple, cake, pizza, cheese = things people eat.

We also play the category game: I name a category and they have to say something in that category, like colors.

We then move to sentences: what is this sentence about. Then to paragraphs, then to stories.

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

afunteacher

Main Idea
Old 08-05-2009, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The way I've taught it before...nothing to exciting or cute, but maybe you could take the idea and tweek it a little...have them figure out who or what the paragraph is about. Then have them figure out what is special about that who or what. Then have them put the two together.
afunteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

harley

Shouldn't have put cute
Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I shouldn't have put cute in there - just something that is functional and will help them understand the concept and will appeal to most learners. This is just what I am looking for - thank you! Any ideas are welcome!!! I got overwhelmed when I went into the classroom and pulled out all the reading things. My goal for my first year is to survive but more importantly to be sure my children learn, succeed, and are well prepared.

ahallmommy

good book
Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have used The Important Book to reinforce main idea. i got a cute idea at a conference and can't remember the lady's name to give her credit. anyway, after reading, take a paper plate. cut in half. keep top half in one piece, but cut bottom into thirds. top is for a specific item and bottom is to give 3 reasons. if you read the book this will make sense. then you can do these together in class and then put in center and kids can place correct supporting details with the correct main idea. very cute and a great learning tool. hope i made sense!

example: ice cream

cold delicious eat it on a cone or in a bowl

ahallmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

christina4062

ahallmommy
Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That paper plate idea is awesome- that would come in SO handy for beginning paragraph writing!
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote

edison94

I hope this helps
Old 08-06-2009, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hello there I hope I am not late with this, but you could do video books. If you need more clarification just let me know
edison94 is offline   Reply With Quote

harley

Please explain
Old 08-06-2009, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

just a little more what video books are. No, you are not too late - I have a 2 more weeks until I need things written in stone

edison94

Video Books
Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hello Harley,

Video Books are almost like a slide show. You take sentence strips and staple to the bottom of the paper. You turn the paper the long way the opposite of the way you would put it in a printer. On the top you make two slits. Next you get one sentence strip and section it off depending on the size of the strip. Have the kids illustrate in the first space of the strip. Make sure their drawing equals the supporting details that you stapled to the bottom. I hope I am not losing you. If you have the students illustrating 5 sections on the strip, staple five strips on the bottom. It might sound confusing but it is not if you need more help let me know

harley

edison94
Old 08-07-2009, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Do you have a picture? I think I know what you mean,but I am not sure. Is there a website? It sounds like a great idea!

edison94

Hey Harley
Old 08-08-2009, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

No I don't have a picture of the video book. All my stuff is at the school. If you want I can find it when I go back to work and mail it to you.

harley

Old 08-08-2009, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That would be wonderful! PM me and I will send you back my address. Thank you sooooo much! All of the ideas are great and I think I have my creative juices flowing Thank you everyone!

okra

main idea
Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have used "gift bags" for this activity. I fill a gift bag with various onjects..... example Everything in the bag is red. Students have to come up with one word or a short phrase to tell what the main idea is. Another example is a travel bag. All items relate to travel, marine animals, and the list can go on and on. Great way to introduce a unit, concept etc...

Okra
okra is offline   Reply With Quote