Sentence Strips - ProTeacher Community

Wendy552

Wendy552

Sentence Strips
Old 08-06-2009, 02:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have just found some blank sentence strips that a teacher left in my new classroom. I have never used these , and was just wondering if some of you teachers out there could give me some pointers on how you use yours in the classroom. Do you put them on a pocket chart? I would love to hear any ideas!

kaff39

sentence strips
Old 08-06-2009, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use my strips as titles for work that I put up on bulletin boards or in the hallway; for word of the day and then hang it up in the room for the kids to see; for certain activities in class - for example, when we learn about commas or quotation marks, I give each student a long strip, they write their sentence and use uncooked macaroni for the commas or marks.
Hope this helps.
kaff39 is offline   Reply With Quote

shrteach

all sorts of things
Old 08-06-2009, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do all sorts of things with them...

Flip books for things like strong verbs (Students write a sentence on one sentence strip. They fold another sentence strip in fourths and cut it apart. Staple at the top over the verb. Students use a thesaurus or other word resources to find strong verbs...also done with adjectives, subject/predicate, word order, etc.

Word Wall Words

Headbands (Difficult math facts, vocabulary words, spelling words are written on the headband. Students ask each other for the fact, meaning, or spelling.) Also make Dr. Seuss hats in March.

Making mobiles (State symbols, vowels, synonyms, etc.)

Sequencing

I would much rather inherit a stash of sentence strips and index cards than almost anything. Have fun with them.
shrteach is offline   Reply With Quote

catherder

sentence strips
Old 08-06-2009, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

even my daily schedule.. i wrote each subject/special on a word strip and threw magnets on the back. now i just rearrange them on my tall metal cabinet, and i store the ones i am not using that day (assembly, gym, music, art, etc.) on the inside of that same door.. they just stick and i don't lose them.

that is the easiest schedule system i've had.....
catherder is offline   Reply With Quote

poohtms

Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have used mine for spelling and vocabulary words. I just cut them in half or thirds, depending on how long the word is. I also use them in centers for sequencing and writing prompts.

poohtms is offline   Reply With Quote

tchkidz05

Sentence Strips for Math
Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use my sentence strips for math when I teach different ways to write numbers. Students use them write their 2 or 3 digit numbers in standard, word and expanded form. I also create number puzzles with the expanded form strip and have the students match it with the standard and word forms.
tchkidz05 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzie01

Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My kids love to put foam letters on them either in ABC order or in a sentence. Also, I use them when I teach quotation marks - they write a sentence that they are saying and then glue macaroni in place of quotation marks.
jazzie01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sue too

sentence strips
Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use them to write the words in the poems that we will be underlining and circling when we do rounding up the rhymes.

My favorite activity to use sentence strips for is an idea I heard at a writing workshop. I write sentences about my students, leaving out the proper punctuation and cap. I have my class in tables of 4 so the kids count off, 1234. I post an incorrect sentence and the tables discuss amongst themselves all the things that are wrong with the sentences. Then I call a number for example 3 and whoever is number 3 at the tables has to stand up and I give each of them a chance to tell me one error. The kids love it especially when they see their name.
Sue too is offline   Reply With Quote

catherder

sue too
Old 08-07-2009, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

sue- i am totally stealing.. er.. using that cooperative sentence correction idea!!!

the best ideas are on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
catherder is offline   Reply With Quote