Help

ARCHIVE

ESL/ELL Students, what do I do??

>

MITeach

ESL/ELL Students, what do I do??
Old 08-31-2006, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I have two ESL students in my classroom. One speaks English fairly well, and has an older sister who speaks English VERY well, but their mother speaks no English. The other student has VERY limited English proficiency, and his parents speak no English. I have some knowledge of Spanish, and since our school does not have many Spanish speakers, we do not have a specified ESL instructor...so basically I will have to be an ESL teacher to these students. What things should I keep in mind in communicating effectively to parents and the students? What can I do to help make them successful this school year? Also, how can I best promote the learning of English, especially with the student who has very limited proficiency. I have the long weekend to get myself prepared for the start of the school year. I met both families last night at Open House, and I already feel poorly b/c I wasn't thinking and sent home my handbook (in English) to the student who probably will not be able to read ANY of it What can I do to help make this year an awesome year for these two?!?
Thanks in advance!! I've worked with ESL students before, but the parents always spoke some English.

These students are in 5th grade.

MITeach is offline   Reply With Quote

rockingbarbie

Rosetta Stone
Old 08-31-2006, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used a computer program called Rosetta stone for my Chinese speaking 2nd grader with no English.
I labeled all the items in the room the door/ chalk/ chair. This way when you speak of them the child can see the word.
Pair them beside an overacheiver who just "loves" to help others.
There is a web site that will translate words from english to spanish (can't remember the name of it used it with a girl from the Phillapines) just google search free translations (some you have to pay for). Most important don't let them get away with not doing work becasue they dont' think they can expect great things from them and they will give it to you. My little girl could read at 2.8 reading level by the end of the year.

Good luck.
rockingbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

look back
Old 08-31-2006, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

look back to a couple of days ago someone posted a website for esl. You can't miss it the post says ESL
good luck
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Link to replies for same concerns
Old 09-01-2006, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi!
I remembered posting a site for ESL/ELD learners, so I looked it up for you. It was in a thread where others posted some advice, to I thought it might be helpful for you to read the entire thread:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=16396
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

klperry

some help...
Old 09-01-2006, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

may be a book I have called communicating with parents in spanish and english. I'll check for it when I go back to school.

The problem in our district is that we DO have some fine folks who have created a spanish translated report card, and I DO have this great book I mentioned above, BUT...many of our parents are illiterate in Spanish. They speak it, just can't read it. I attempt, every year, to do better at communicating with my ELL parents, but it is difficult!

The fact that you are here posting and are concerned about leaving them out of the "communication loop" shows you care...your efforts will be appreciated. Just the attempt is usually well received.

I teach 5th also, I have very strong bonds with my few ELL kids each year. I talk to them often about how great it is that they will go into the workforce knowing 2 languages and how that will benefit them greatly. I often write out what I want to say (with the help of my book) and have the kid read it to their parent. Because I have it written down, I know the kid is saying what I want them to say. Many of my kids don't have trouble reading the spanish words.

I use flashcards for everything. English on one side, Spanish on the other. My English speaking kids like them too, they like learning Spanish words.

klperry is offline   Reply With Quote

klperry

talking tapes
Old 09-01-2006, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

check out:

www.talkingtapes.org

our school was able to secure a grant and I received 25 books on tape for free last year.

My ELL students last year wanted to read alot of the grade level books in our classroom. I set up a listening center for them. One student thought I read aloud too fast, so he would listen to me read, then go to the book on tape during self-selected reading time and listen a second time.
klperry is offline   Reply With Quote

MITeach

Thanks so much!!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you so much for all your help!! I ended up translating the most important info from my handbook and thanking the parents for coming in to see me at Open house, and mailed that out on Thursday. I will definately check out those links for books on tape and the other discussion thread.

I'm so glad to be able to have support here on this board!
MITeach is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 09-04-2006, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was a bilingual teacher last year. I got a book called "hola!: communicating with spanish speaking parents" which was very helpful. It had notes to send home with the english and spanish translation. Whatever you do, don't use online translators. They tend to be VERY off.

In terms of teaching the kids, use a lot of pictures with labels. Don't cover social language, as that will come on the playground and from immersion. Really focus on teaching the academic language they need to survive. Books on tape are wonderful because the kids can follow along. Do you have a completely fluent English speaker who also is fluent in Spanish to pair the student up with?

I hope everything goes well!
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote