welcome letter for 1st year teacher - ProTeacher Community

excitedteach

welcome letter for 1st year teacher
Old 08-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I just got hired on Friday and Meet the Teacher is Tuesday! I am a first year teacher for 1st grade in a private Christian School. I am technically Alternative Certification, but the bulk of my college studies was Elementary Education. Because I was part time the requirements changed all the time and I was kept forever trying to graduate so I switched to History and got done in 2 semesters.

My question is, should I mention that this is my first year teaching? Should I just say I graduated from the University of South Florida? Any great ideas for the welcome letter? As I have limited time to prep the room (it is brand new, nothing in it yet!) and learn the curriculum this is stressful! Any little tips for a first year teacher would be greatly and sincerely appreciated.

excitedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

newtch08

leave out 1st year
Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would leave out that you're a first year teacher. I would just write where you went to school. If they ask where you were before, talk about where you did your student teaching. They'll figure it out.
newtch08 is offline   Reply With Quote

linzeek44

Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I wrote my "first year" letter, I did say where I graduated from and I also said what I did while I was there.

This is what it said:

I graduated from Wellesley College with a BA in American Studies: American Education concentration, as well as my teaching certification. For my four years at Wellesley, I worked with toddler and preschool classrooms at the Wellesley Community Childrenís Center, as well as with first and second grade classrooms teaching literacy and math.

Looking back on it, that last sentences is a bit super-wordy. haha.

Anyway, it let parents know a bit about my background and they asked me about things I had done and how I had liked it, etc.
I didn't say it was my first year teaching, but I'm sure they could figure it out because 1) I didn't mention other permanent teaching jobs and 2) I look super young.

Good luck!
linzeek44 is offline   Reply With Quote

hapEteachr

copy of my parent letter for my reading class
Old 08-10-2009, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year was my first year, and although I did not say that in my letter, if parents asked, I would tell them. Here's what my letter said that I gave my reading students to take home.

Dear Parent/ Guardian,

My name is Holly ...., and I am excited to be your studentís teacher for Math this year. If you have any questions or concerns throughout the school year, please do not hesitate to contact me. I check my email quite frequently so it is probably the best way to reach me. My email address is ...... You may also write a note or contact me at school at ........., extension 2104.

Sixth grade is a busy year with many new things to learn, as well as transitioning to a new school. Studentsí agendas are designed to help students be organized, and they are required every day to serve as a contact log, hall pass, and an organizational tool at the middle school. Please make sure your student is responsible with the agenda so that it becomes a habit. If you think your child is having difficulties transitioning or with the work in my class, I encourage you to contact me so that we can share our concerns.

This week students will be making a collage to put on a bulletin board to help us get to know one another. If they have any pictures or magazine clippings they want to bring in, they can start bringing them on Wednesday or Thursday. (We will also have some magazines at the school for the kids to use.)

Also, I will be sending home a questionnaire that I hope you will complete so that I can learn more about your child.

I look forward to working with you and your student throughout the year!

Sincerely,
hapEteachr is offline   Reply With Quote

DNF08

Here's my letter
Old 08-10-2009, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is my letter that I sent home my first year. I did NOT say it was my first year. GOod luck, the first year of teaching is hard but so much fun!!! This is only my 2nd year, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me! I'd love to try and help

Dear Second Grade Families,
I am delighted to welcome your child into 2nd grade. I hope you had an enjoyable and relaxing summer. We are going to have a wonderful school year.
During our first week of school, we will be spending time going over classroom procedures and getting to know each other. I will not be assigning homework until next week.
My personal email address is __ . You can also call the school office and leave a message, and I will return your call as soon as I am available.
Let me tell you a little about myself, I was born and raised in _ on a farm but now live with my husband in _. I love to work on our old house, run, shop, and read! I graduated from ISU with a Bachelorís Degree in Early Childhood Education and did my Student Teaching in 2nd grade, which made me realize how much I love this grade! J I am very excited to be at __ and looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Tomorrow I will be sending home a special STAR Binder with your child which will be a vital tool in parent/teacher communication as well as give you all the information you will need about the upcoming school year. The students and I will spend a great deal of time on it, so make sure you ask them all about it!
Please make sure you send back the signed slip tomorrow from the back of the Student Handbook. In the meantime, if you could please take a few minutes to fill out the parent survey, I would appreciate it. What you share with me is confidential and will be used to help me direct my lessons throughout the year. Again, thank you so much for all of your help and I am looking forward to a wonderful year together.
Sincerely,

DNF08 is offline   Reply With Quote

excitedteach

thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you,
I think I will be vague and let them ask! One good thing I have going for me is that I am about to turn 31 so I don't have the fresh from college look about me (gray hair popping out all over ) so that should help too!
excitedteach is offline   Reply With Quote