Managing Time ;-( - ProTeacher Community

iPeach

Managing Time ;-(
Old 08-31-2006, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm getting better at the paperwork angle of teaching. It took a few years, but I'm managing. I'm still not as good as some, but better than I was before. I'm also more adept with the planning and preparedness for the following week. However, grading is still my downfall. I get so extremely discouraged taking all this junk home. There's got to be a better way.. I would have them grade more, but I'm afraid they wouldn't do it correctly and I'd still have to closely check it. I think one problem is I'm still grading too much. What did some of you do to combat this problem? I don't even think of grading at school, which I should since the keys are there and I wouldn't have to lug the books home. This is 3rd not a high-school literature class- what am I doing wrong??

iPeach is offline   Reply With Quote

dlynneteacher

Have you tried a stamp?
Old 08-31-2006, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't grade classwork, I use a stamp. I don't really look at it, we go over it in class, and then I come around and stamp their work. Sometimes I don't have time for that and use a pen to put a check on it. I give one grade at the end f the quarter for completion of classwork and homework. I don't grade at school either, I lug it home-I just don't grade everything. I think at least you are on the right track, trying to figure out what to do about it. Good Luck!
dlynneteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

grading
Old 08-31-2006, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How much are you grading each week? You don't have to grade everything - that's where I made my mistake a few years ago. Now I just go over the assignments in class and let them check their own. After all, it's mostly practice. I walk around while they're doing independent work, so I can help them with difficulties then. I give about 1 grade per week per subject (sometimes a test, and sometimes just a classwork grade). I also write out a key to help me grade faster, and so I don't have to take any books home. I try to get them graded during my planning times at school, and that has also helped a lot.

I hope it gets better for you! At least you're getting a handle on some of the paperwork.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

traci.k

file 13!!
Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ok, first give yourself permission NOT to grade everything! Some papers even deserve to be filed in file 13 or the circular file (the trash) Get yourself some stamps like suggested. I have one that says checked but not graded. Also, you don't have to grade every problem! Grade only the evens or the first half. You will still get a good idea on how everyone did if you only partially grade it and mark on their graded evens only. I have a young child, so I rarely take grading home, but I still have to have a grade a week in each subject, so I just close my door and do it at school.
traci.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Jamie Morgan

Jamie Morgan

3rd grade teacher
Old 09-13-2006, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

where did you get your "checked but not graded stamp" ?? thank you! Jamie

traci.k

stamp
Old 09-14-2006, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Actually, I don't know where the stamp was bought. A parent gave it to me last year ~ she used to teach. Sorry!
traci.k is offline   Reply With Quote

AngelCat21

stamp
Old 09-14-2006, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just got my stamp from www.fearlessdesign.com They had several different ones. It took about a week for it to come in (give or take a day). That helps with grading. Plus, I don't grade every thing. A lot of what we do is practice work so I just spot check it.
AngelCat21 is offline   Reply With Quote

lapalms

Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

for the stamp sight.
lapalms is offline   Reply With Quote