Concept/Question Board - ProTeacher Community

squirrel612

Concept/Question Board
Old 08-11-2009, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We use SRA Imagine It! and must do the concept/question board. I tried last year, but my students didn't really embrace it. What can I do to get them to use it and contribute to it more. Also, I'd love to see pictures of some of your boards. I'm thinking of putting mine on one of those science project boards this year and putting in my classroom library. Thanks!

squirrel612 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zee

Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have any ideas for you as this will be my first year doing a concept/question board with the 2002 edition of Open Court. I found some useful things on Open Court Resources. I know there were some pictures in the 2nd grade section. I'd love to hear how others use the board too!
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Sparkle

Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I usually put up 4-5 questions related to the unit. Kids can choose to answer these or ask a question of their own, or post a concept.

During workshop, kids can go to the board, take down a question posted by another student, answer it and post them both (side by side) on the board. It is interesting to see the different answers posted.

I encourage kids to bring in ANYTHING...pictures, newpaper articles, cereal boxes..etc..that goes along with the unit, they like to 'show and tell' about their item and it connects to the unit.
With some classes, I've had to give small rewards to students that actually brought things in. (stickers, stamp on their stamp chart etc.)

I also decorate my c/q board with anything that I can find that goes with the unit. One unit is imagination and I got lots of glittery, streamer type things to put up. It draws more attention to the board and kids like to find their own items to put up.
Miss Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote

TraddStLovely

Starter Pics
Old 08-12-2009, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've collected pictures and articles for each of my units. I use them to get my concept/question boards going. I'll usually add an item or two after each discussion to spark the kids' interest.

I also require each student to contribute at least one item from home to the board. I've even offered an incentive for additional items brought in: extra shells in the shell (reward) jar, extra points on the unit test (limited number, of course), etc.

The third grade teacher at my old school is absolutely amazing at concept/question boards. I wish I had pictures of her old boards to show you. She would even make posters or class books of the items on her boards once they were done. The kids loved looking at them, especially the ones from previous years.
TraddStLovely is offline   Reply With Quote

Gibby

Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm glad you asked this question. We're still using OC this year, but switching to the new ImagineIt next year. How do you like the new curriculum?

Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote