Help

ARCHIVE

Red Ribbon Week

>

Bethany

Red Ribbon Week
Old 09-01-2006, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been asked to coordinate Red Ribbon Week, so I am looking for any ideas, resources, etc. you do or use in your school. I know this is pretty far away, but I have to turn in my ideas to a committee in the next few weeks.

Any suggestions, PLEASE RESPOND! THANKS!

Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

School banner
Old 09-02-2006, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have a large vinyl banner our school bought at a screen print shop a few years ago. PTG paid for it. I'm guessing it was $100. Anyway it says (our school name) pledges to be drug free! We had a little pep assembly about choosing to be drug free w/ our neighborhood congressman and then he signed the banner. As lunch that day, the students all had an opportunity to sign the banner with overhead markers so that the following year, we could erase all the names and reuse. For several years, PTG has paid for a self-esteem/drug-free entertainer/speaker to come for an assembly during R.R. week as well.
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

rockingbarbie

caught you being good
Old 09-02-2006, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We did caught you being good. Gave the students tickets everytime we saw them doing something nice. They turned them in at the start of lunch and a name was picked and they received a small prize.

All our children received red ribbons to wear all week.
rockingbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

red ribbon
Old 09-02-2006, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Each day the kids are ask to do something/wear something Yes we have uniforms
Monday- Put a cap on drugs. The kids can wear their hats/caps at recess as long it is worn the right way. Teachers have the option to let them wear only in classroom if is not disruptive
Tuesday _ Be different Sock it to Drugs - The kids can wear different color socks.
wed. Turn your back on drugs the kids can wear their shirt backwards
Well you get the idea. My school is inner city and not much money to do the outside stuff so we are creative with what we have.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

red ribbon week
Old 09-02-2006, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do something similar to readerabbit. We have something different for each day. Some of the days have little "treats" they get - like smarties and it says "Be smart and stay away from drugs". I personally like the ones where they wear something. I don't remember them all, but one was "tie one on against drugs" - and they wore ties. Another was "slip away from drugs" and they wore slippers. We have uniforms, so it gave the kids a nice variation.

Also, they were all given a red ribbon to wear all week. Each ribbon had a number on the back of it. They would do several drawings a day, and that child would get a little treat (fancy pencil or something). That encouraged them to wear their ribbon all week. They only got the prize if they had their ribbon on. That was a huge hit!

SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

red ribbon week
Old 09-02-2006, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We do many of the same things mentioned above. We also tie red ribbons on the trees in front of our building. Inside, each grade level does a banner to hang in the hallways.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

REB

o.k....here's what I've seen before....
Old 09-03-2006, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Bethany,

Hi! Hope things are going great for you this year!

O.K.....here's what I've seen at other schools in the parish...one of them did a concert during Red ribbon Week. One of them had fun acitivities planned, (line dancing during lunch/recess, raffle, caught ya being good, and I can't remember the other two.)

One of them had an inspirational speaker.

Essay contest...

One year I did a song writing contest with my classes.

Also...poster contest...

And...of course the students either wore the bracelets, or ribbons to school each day.

you could do a silly sock day, a silly hair day, a cap day...

Just some thoughts...

REB
REB is offline   Reply With Quote

cariokie

Parade
Old 09-03-2006, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have a red ribbon parade. Each class makes a banner, flags, pom poms, etc. We line up and march around the car rider circle. Each child wears a red shirt and a red ribbon. The parents can come and watch and wave to the kids. It seemed meaningful for my first graders but I also like the other things mentioned and may bring them up to our counselors.
cariokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Bethany

Thanks so much...keep them coming!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love these ideas and will use many of them.

SusanTeach, I really like the idea about putting a number on the back of their ribbons and drawing for prizes to get them to continue to wear their ribbon throughout the week. What an excellent idea!

REB and others...some of you stated having a motivational speaker. Where would I go about finding one? Someone in the community? I'm just wondering who I could possibly get. I think that is a great idea as well!

REB, I am having a great first start of the year except for my wonderful kiddos LOVING to talk!!! How about yours?
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

REB

Re: about red ribbon
Old 09-03-2006, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi! You could use either maybe one of your school counselors, or possibly someone from the sherriff's office could come and speak to the students about the dangers of drugs, or maybe your principal, or counselors have some ideas of great motivational speakers there in the community.

We had our counselor come in and talk with the students one year, and of course the sheriff's office is great about coming in to speak with the students as well.

My students also have the "gift of gab" this year....I teach a little over 500 a week, though so I guess that's to be expected. I do BRAVO awards with my students at the end of each class, I pick two students who have followed all classroom rules, and shown EXCEPTIONAL behavior, and I have noticed that this works wonders for talking with those kids!

I also had to introduce my first student to the glossary this week and once the student saw how many terms were in the glossary, they decided it was in their best interest to behave...the next time I saw the student...they were THE best behaved, most attentive, and extremely helpful, and I made sure to compliment the positive changes, and that student actually earned Bravo during the second class.

REB

REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Kellyn

Kellyn

resources to use
Old 09-15-2006, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hey all,

There are some great free resources you can order online at www.backtoschool.drugabuse.gov. They have materials for K-12 that teach kids about the science of drug use and the effects it has on your body.