Carnival/Festival Ideas - ProTeacher Community

Gray

Gray

Carnival/Festival Ideas
Old 11-09-2005, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please help! Our school has scheduled a Winter Carnival for the first time. It has been ages since I've participated in one of these, and I would really appreciate any creative ideas for the activity for my class. Most of the "regulars" have been taken (cake walk, facepainting, duck pond, putt-putt, beanbag tosses, dancing, etc.). Please share the ideas that have been big hits at your school events. It's scheduled for January, so indoor and winter-themed ideas are best. Thanks for your help!

bamateach

festival
Old 11-09-2005, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are doing a make and take ornament craft booth.
Other ideas: Collect stuffed animals (kids can donate these by the arm loads). Put them in a pile in the center of the room. Place chairs in a circle around the stuffed animals. put numbers under the chairs. Play music for a minute. Have kids sit. Draw a number. Winner picks a stuffed animal.
Bingo for kids
Auction - Have children/parents bid on items (This is something we do as a school not individual teachers. It is always very successful. Area businesses donate things for this also teachers donate things like teacher helper, Principal for a day, V.P. for a day, Custodian for a day, etc... You could be creative and do this on a smaller scale. Ex: Teacher Assistant, No homework for a week pass, extra freeplay, Librarian assisitant, pricipal for a day, etc... Let children/parents bid on these things. Last year I myself paid $20 to let my daughter help in the Library all day.
Fishing - clothes pin on te end of a line. Toss over a wall have someone back there to clip a prize to it.
Cup toss (set up 3 cups and toss a bean bag at them
I hope this is helpful. If I think of anything else I will post again.

NightOwl

Carnival
Old 11-09-2005, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What about sand art? The kids love it! You can get supplies on line, such as small plastic bottles and bracelets. Use salt dyed with food coloring for the sand. Another idea is to make a maze in your classroom. It could be a crawl through. Maybe kids could solve a puzzle along the way. Do you have a photo booth? Your class could make the back drop or cut out faces in a snowman or something else to go with your theme.
Have Fun!

javamomma

carnival ideas
Old 11-09-2005, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One fun twist on the cake walk is a soda walk.
Have a big tub of iced down sodas and the kids win one the
same as a cake walk!

Another fun booth that was a hit at our last carnival was a "tatoo parlor" and the kids got to have one of the fun removable tatoos put on. They had the disco lights and the whole bit going on.
Just remind parents that a little rubbing alcohol will quickly remove the tatoo.
ben&mattmom

ben&mattmom

Carnival idea
Old 11-10-2005, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A big hit at our school was the Sucker Pull. I just had a piece of pegboard leaning against one of my walls. I had previously colored about 1/4 of the sucker stick bottoms with a red marker. If a child pulled a sucker with a red bottom, he got another prize (in our case it was a larger piece of candy)and the sucker he pulled. If they picked a non colored sucker, they still got to keep the sucker. I didn't think this game would have been a big deal, but the kids loved it! I was out of my 200 suckers in 1 hour!

hescollin

Guess Jars.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Guessing contests are fun. Decorate clear glass jars and fill with what ever. Lollipops, M&Mís, individual wrapped candies, pretzels, dry beans might add a soup making recipe, so that it shows on the outside of the jar. Here again have different people bring a decorated jar full of something and have them count and put on a folded paper on the underside of the jar lid the number of items in the jar. Only one prize per winner and of coarse family members canít win their jar. The more jars the more winners. Any size jar will work Ė jelly jars, gallon jars, miracle whip jars and etc. Decorating is fun. Example one person completely covered the jar with wrapping paper and put 1 bag of candy in the jar, so the correct guess was one. Stick on stickers. Make a puff top on the lid. Glue on lace. Tape a pattern on the inside of the jar and use enamel paint and paint the design on the outside of the jar and maybe outline with permanent fabric paint. The outline isnít necessary, but adds an extra nice touch. Donít forget to remove your pattern when complete.
Sell lollipops display them on a lollipop tree, if this site doesn't work e mail me and ask for directions for a lollipop tree. http://www.mileskimball.com/jump.jsp...ProductID=8354

Tiffany

Ideas
Old 11-11-2005, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Before I give you ideas, I have to tell you that our PARP (Parents as Reading Partners) committee had a carnival last spring to celebrate reading for 4 weeks and it was a HUGE hit but it was also A LOT of work. We had 2 teachers (who had subs for the day) there to supervise to make sure it ran smoothly. We got suckered into buying a prize package from some company but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't do that again. It's cheaper and better to just get prizes from Oriental Trading or something like that. We had the carnival during our specials time and the teachers were very supportive in giving up their planning to supervise/assist. Special area teachers, high school seniors, NHS, and parents helped run the games.

Okay, now the games:
Feed the animal: Draw an animal with an open mouth on that stiff foamy board. Child tosses 3 bean bags into the mouth to win.

Fluky Ball: Set up an easel with a bucket below. Child must bounce a ball off the easel into the bucket to win.

Tin Can Toss: Set up 6 cans in a pyramid. Throw 2 bean bags to knock all the cans over.

Air Hockey: someone brought in their air hockey table from home for the kids to play.

Tic Tac Toss: Take a shower curtain, use colored tape to make a tic tac toe board. Use bean bags to toss.

Ring toss

Fishing Game: Make a fishing pole, attach a magnet to the end. Put prizes in a plastic pool. Attach paperclips to the prizes.

Basketball Toss

Tin Pan Alley: child rolls a ball down a ramp. At the bottom there is a box with 2 muffin tins painted with 3 different colors. The child rolls 3 balls. If 2 colors match, you win. (DH built the ramp for us - we almost divorced me trying to explain what I wanted. I can send a picture of it but it was really easy to built just awkward to carry.)

Popcorn machine: We got a local place to donate the popcorn machine, we just had to buy the popcorn and bags from them. Total cost: $40

Bouncy House: donated from a local store that rents them. We just had to make sure it was manned and the rules were followed.

Washers game: Box with circles cut in the top. Fake grass carpet covered the box. Toss large washers into the box to win.

Teddy bear toss: Attach a teddybear to box with a stick to hold it up straight. Throw rings. Ring must land all the way around the bear to win.

Football toss: Throw a nerf football through the hoop to win.

Bingo

Funny Photo: Make a funny photo - cut out a place for the face. Use a digital camera with a memory stick to take photos. We developed the photos at Sam's Club - I think it cost about $30.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but my notes are at school. This is most of them. Hope it helps!