What Can I Do With My Teacher's Aide (high school student)? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

What Can I Do With My Teacher's Aide (high school student)?

>

Book_Lover

What Can I Do With My Teacher's Aide (high school student)?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach fifth grade and I just found out that I get to have one of the seniors as a teacher's aide. He will come every other day for a 45 minute class period. Okay, that's great, but what do you think I should have him do? I thought he could make my copies and cut out bulletin board letters, but I'd like to give him something fun to do. (The bad part is that the kids have Math at that time in another room--it's my planning period--and the math teacher doesn't want anyone in her class but her...) I teach Language Arts if it makes a difference, so I don't think I want him grading writing.

Book_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

My DD is in middle school
Old 08-16-2009, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had her work with me during summer school and here are a few things I had her do:
  • read with students, then have them summerize to her what happened
  • she was a scribe for my little one with cerebal palsy. He told her what to write in his letters and she wrote for him
  • she helped with reader's response letters. She helped kids one on one in the hallway. I gave her a template of what the letter should be like and she asked the kids questions about their thinking from the book and helped them write a letter
  • he can organize math manipulatives for centers
  • get materials ready for centers
  • grade review sheets if you give him a key
  • run copies, record grades etc.

It's hard to find things for someone to do during your planning time. Good luck.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

wildcatsgr3

This might be a stretch
Old 08-16-2009, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But your situation is a tough one! You could have him help you with lesson planning - show him the process, where to find materials, etc. Have him sit with you while you plan a couple of lessons and then give him a shot at making one of his own. If it's not very good, then you know he needs some more time watching you. He may have some good ideas that you never thought of!
wildcatsgr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can't you ask to have his time changed to when you have a class? Maybe trade off with someone else?
Quote:
I thought he could make my copies and cut out bulletin board letters, but I'd like to give him something fun to do.
Remember anything that you think is boring will probably be fun for him I like having his input in lessons.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpal12

Old 08-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I might be way out to lunch here because we don't have teacher aides in my neck of the woods! But wouldn't this be a case of poor scheduling, shouldn't he be around to help you when you have students?? Like I said, I don't know much about this so tell me if I'm wrong.

I like the idea of him helping you plan. You could have him help you prepare lit circles or novel studies, make centres, do display boards. I would go with what a PP mentioned and see if you couldn't get the time switched.
If all else fails and you can't find a use for this student send him my way...haha! We end up getting observation students from the university a couple times a month and I always come up with something for them to do!

teacherpal12 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 08-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I taught middle school and had an 8th grade student aide, the aides were not allowed to operate equipment, so no copy machine, paper cutter, or laminator. My aide:
-graded objective assignments
-changed out bulletin boards
-bagged up literature circle books and role sheets
-recorded grades into my paper grade book (though now that probably is a no-no because of student privacy laws)
-made deliveries to the office and other teachers
-recorded stories onto tape for my visually impaired student
-checked off things for field trips
-organized folders or materials for staff training sessions I facilitated
-cut out laminating
-wiped down desks, bookcases, etc.
-restocked writers' workshop toolkits
-checked out books for me from the library- if my kids were doing a poetry unit, for example, I'd send student with a note stating he/she had my permission to check out xnumber of books for me in this theme/topic- the librarian would send a printout of what was checked out to make sure he/she only checked out what I asked for
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Personally I don't think I'd want his input lesson planning. I know I'm a control freak, but I wouldn't want to use his lessons. Lesson planning is more of an art than a science, like knowing how certain students will respond to certain activities.

I might ask him to research on the Internet for activities or games for specific topics--maybe that is what was meant by helping with lesson plans.

You could also have him create games. Or type questions about topics and glue onto index cards and play using a board game.

Could you have him go through your students' writing before you grade it and find examples of certain things that you can use as mini-lessons, like examples of descriptive writing, of comma usage, etc. Then you could have him type up the passages for use on the SmartBoard or make a transparency.

I'd be a little worried by having him on my planning time, because I'd be afraid I wouldn't be able to get my planning done as efficiently because I'd want to be polite and friendly to him.

Last edited by tyrex; 08-17-2009 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: bad grammar
tyrex is online now   Reply With Quote

Book_Lover

Thanks for the ideas everyone
Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Today I'm not quite as excited about having my aide. I really don't want him to do any lesson planning (Too OCD according to my dh) and I don't know how carefully he will grade. Will I have to grade everything again anyway? (I know---OCD) I also agree with tyrex--I'm afraid I might waste my time just being friendly. Thankfully, he CAN use the copier so he will be doing that. I'll also get him to cut out my bulletin board letters. I'm trying to decide if I can get him to put the students' work in their Friday Folders. Do you think that would be an invasion of privacy? He may end up getting a little more study hall time than he had planned...

I agree, scheduling is awful. This is just a fellow who has most of his requirements done and there was no class at our small school that period that he hadn't taken. That's why he can't trade.

I'm not complaining, and I'm glad to have him. I just wish I could fill his time a little better.
Book_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote