Help

Daily 5

Cafe/Daily 5 with 5th or 6th graders

>

Leenie A.

Cafe/Daily 5 with 5th or 6th graders
Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever used the Daily 5 or Cafe with 5th or 6th graders?
It seems most people who post are teaching the younger grades.
I'm hesitant to try it without hearing from you, the pros!!!
Thanks so much!!!

Leenie A. is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

I teach 6th
Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and will implement daily 5 this year. Our 5th grade teacher will as well. I agree that there aren't many of us out here. Mrs. Croak teaches upper grades, and has a lot of stuff (including success stories) on her website.
http://www.mrscroak.com

Here's my take on the difference- I don't anticipate having to spend as much time building stamina. For one, they are older but it is also a very good/compliant group of kids. I have 2 ESL that I will need to work with intensely. I will use all 5 portions of D5, we will probably have 3 rounds daily.

We start school tomorrow, hopefully I'll have good news this weekend!
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

hollyhocks

Grade 5 and 6 discussions
Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree that so much of the discussion focuses on the early grades, but suspect there are plenty of schools that incorporate all or part of Cafe, D5. Our school is embracing this resource for the upcoming year, so feel I need to buy into some of it. I'd like to see a dedicated thread or area for Cafe/ D5 for 4,5,6...or does one exist? Much of the K-3 conversation I have to sift through quickly to find something relevant.
hollyhocks is offline   Reply With Quote

twomore

I'm 5th and hopefully trying it
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm new, have read the books, and have been reading this blog for awhile. There have been some 4,5, 6 responding here but you have to go back and pick and choose to find them. I am starting after Labor Day so can't share my experience but it sounds good to me so I can do more intervention with those below grade level. I will only do Daily 3--Read to Self, Word work, and Writing. I will have writer's workshop at a different time. I don't think I can keep track of reading and writing at the same time and do a good job. The writing that they will do during D3 will be response to reading, sacred writing time(free write), some writing projects that they choose (Katie Wood Ray's idea), and maybe some English stuff. During word work I plan to do spelling contract type of stuff. I thought I would try Read to Someone during Science and Social Studies time. I tried a little of it last year after I read about Daily 5 and liked how it worked, especially the part where the partner who is listening does check for understanding. I am working on setting up my room and worrying the most about logistics of having materials available so there's no disruptions. If you go back to maybe last Saturday, I think, where I wrote one of these called 5th grade schedule, I think. A gal responded to me about her set up. It's the only response I got but thought her response was helpful. I don't know how to do the thread stuff, But would love to hear from others at this level!!!!
twomore is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

we start tomorrow
Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach 6th, but two others are joining me, the 5th grade and the 3/4 teacher. We are excited, because our schedules mirror each other, and we are all doing D5 at the same time. We envision cross grade strategy groups & conferring. I'm totally stoked, the other two are more new to the concept and are more scared. Wish us luck! it's so neat to be on the same page with my partners.

trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

lynnylubner

Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm not focusing on teaching the D5. I am going to do CAFE and strategy groups with my 5th graders.
lynnylubner is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

I'm in 5th too
Old 08-19-2009, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and just trying it this year. I thought I'd be able to race through stamin too, but our first day we hardly cleared 2 minutes. After 4 days of practice, we had 2 sessions today. The 1st was under 2 minutes!! But the second was almost 9. The good thing is that they can't wait to do read to self again!
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

amatin

The sisters
Old 08-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

are working on more videos that are geared toward the upper grades. Perhaps on their website? Not sure yet... I know our curriculum director is working on getting them for our staff development. I used D5 with 4th graders successfully last year, and we are using it K-6 district-wide this year. It is going to be our year-long staff development, so some people will be implementing it more gradually. Our 6th graders are actually in the middle school, but their teachers will join us for PD.
amatin is offline   Reply With Quote

buberry3

I teach 6th grade
Old 09-24-2009, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

and want to start with the Daily 5 soon! I have been teaching out of a basal and do not feel that I am meeting my students' needs. I love the concept of daily 5 but have been hesitant because so much is directed toward younger students. I am glad to find this resource and agree that having a special spot for us to share would be helpful!!!

How do you organize time for daily 5 and writing instruction? Should I combine it together completely? I have from 12:30 to 2:50 to do read aloud, reading and writing (ideally writers' workshop). I worry about getting too ambitious and trying too many things but reading is my goal to focus on this upcoming quarter.
buberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote