Edible Model of Earth's Layers - ProTeacher Community

Stefanie

Edible Model of Earth's Layers
Old 09-04-2006, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I found one time how to make an edible model of earth's layers and now I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have it? I would really like to use it. Thanks!

Stefanie is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

layers
Old 09-04-2006, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do this and the kids love it! There are actually several different ways to do it, but I'll show you my favorite:

1. Outside layer (crust) - graham cracker crumbled (let them crumble it)
2. Next layer (mantle) - scoop of ice cream
3. Middle layer (core) - hard candy (peppermint) They poke the candy down in it.

While the kids are eating it, I have them draw and label their earth.

I've also seen people use an apple and show it that way - with the peel (crust), inside (mantle), and core (core!).

Another way is with peanut butter as the mantle, but I usually have peanut allergies to worry about.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

cowboysrule

earth
Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My earth is similar:
The kids are given a clear plastic cup so they can see the various layers as they are put into the cup.
I give them a cinnamon drop as the core.
Next I put in chocolate pudding as the mantle.
Last we put either crushed up Oreos or crushed graham crackers as the crust.
Then of course, we eat and enjoy! The kids love it when they get to the cinnamon drop cause it is so hot!
cowboysrule is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

egg OR Snicker candy bar
Old 09-04-2006, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A hard boiled egg in the shell cut in half with a red hot candy placed in the center of yolk for the red hot core. The shell is the crust. And etc.

a Snicker candy bar works.
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

jello layers
Old 09-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i had kids make jello layers of the atmosphere--could work for earth, i suppose.

it took 2-3 days because we poured one color into short SOLO cups, let it set, in the afternoon did another color...next day, etc.

i also used jello layers (different year/grade) to show the fossil record--and we put different ingredients (marshmallows, fruit) to represent the different fossils in each layer.

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Stefanie

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2006, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas! Once again you provided exactly what I needed! Stefanie
Stefanie is offline   Reply With Quote
lindsay Goti

lindsay Goti

i made a ediable earth in science class
Old 01-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

just last week i was in science class and we made a earth our of peanut butter, powdered sugar, chocolate chips, jelly(preferably red) and grahm cracker crumbs.first you get peanut butter and mix it with a ton of powdered sugar until it feals like sitff plado. then form it into a ball. after that take a grahm crakcer and smash it into small bits. then take the ball and cut it in half. after that make a small hole in both sides of the peanut butter and fill it with jelly. next take 2 chocolate chips and place them inside the jelly. after that put the two halfs together and apple the grahm crakcer crumbs. finally... enjoy your homemade earth.
the grahm cracker is the crust, the peanut butter is the mantle , the jelly is the outer core, and the chocolater chip is the inner core.
i hope you enjoy your earth model and i hope you had fun making it!
Patti Tracey

Patti Tracey

Edible earth project
Old 09-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My daughter just came home with this same project. She needs to make an edible model of the earth showing the four layers (inner core, outer core,mantle and crust) I like the idea from Linda about the playdo like ball of peanut butter but am concerned about peanut allergies. Any ideas for what else could be substituted ?
Brynn

Brynn

Edible Earth
Old 03-09-2009, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have to make an edible earth science project that will be due in two days and i have to make it today though. wat should I do. I want it based on chocolate
MYLI

MYLI

M&M's
Old 04-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Try M&M's (the ones with peanuts). They have all the layers, they are easy to use and YOU CAN EAT THEM WHEN THE LESSON IS DONE!
Rdneckmom2

Rdneckmom2

M&M Earth layers
Old 05-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks so much for this idea. My son has to give an oral report next week on the layers of the earth and this will be a fun way to let everyone enjoy it.