Meek and Mild Teacher - ProTeacher Community

Meek and Mild

Meek and Mild

Meek and Mild Teacher
Old 08-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been classified as a meek and mild teacher. I generally have good results with students because I have a calm manner and personality. I will be entering the classroom for the first time this year. How many of you are "soft spoken" and mild as a teacher? Do I really need to be "meaner" for successful classroom managment?

TeacherDude24

Old 08-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm meek and mild when it comes to my personality, but when it comes to classroom management I'm strict. I can also be loud when I have to.
TeacherDude24 is offline   Reply With Quote

HBteach

Old 08-24-2009, 01:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would suggest you buy Harry Wong's book The First Days of School. He talks about procedures. When you tell, model and practice what you expect from students your problems should be minimal.

I also am strict and try to be calm under all circumstances. I must admit sometimes it is hard. Then I have to look at me. You can be mild and strict at the same time. If students know your expectations things should be calm. Again, I'd highly suggest you purchase Wong's book.

Good luck.
HBteach is offline   Reply With Quote

JessicaM

Me Too
Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my first year also, and I would identify with being "meek and mild". We're only a little ways into the year, but so far it's working out just fine. We have lots of procedures and high expectations.

Prior to this year, I worked with pre-k for four years. A lot of the teachers knew my teaching style and always praised my "ability" to stay calm, yet in control.

Remember who is the teacher, but don't feel as if you must possess all the power. Teach them how to handle it.

For c-man this year, I'm using Marvin Marshall's levels. I've reworked it a bit to meet our needs, but the "talk" has been effective so far.
JessicaM is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh....Ruffle my feathers and fear the monster...I'm quite calm but I will only let it go o far until you find I am the dreaed teacher from the black lagoon. Ok, that's an exaggeration. I'm actually just serious, strict, firm, and expect a lot from my students. I am not flat out mean--you know, they stop listening to that eventually! Butthey don't mess with me once they see my temper and realize I do in fact mean what I say.

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

relaxing

Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Let the students know your expectations. Then consistency is the key. I tell my students that they will have to be quiet and listen because I refuse to yell or talk loudly. I also tell them that I am not going to repeat myself (directions) over and over because they were not listening. They must ask a friend or two first.
relaxing is offline   Reply With Quote

AlaskanCourt

No need to be mean!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am a quiet person by nature, and that comes across in my classroom. I make my expectations clear and I am quite strict, but I think it's possible to get your point across without screaming or being mean. My kids know I mean business. My principal used to always laugh when I said I was being "mean" because she said she'd never heard me raise my voice. And I don't have many behavior issues. It's a nice, calm, respectful atmosphere.
AlaskanCourt is offline   Reply With Quote

KMH

Old 08-30-2009, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When my boys were in grade school, one of their best teachers never rose her voice. She was so clam and nice, I wondered how she did it! I'm still wondering... I know she had her procedures and she taught them well. She was always fair. I just asked my son and he said, "She never raised her voice, there was just something about her that mellowed us out." Her classes were always well behaved. She had been a teacher for many many years prior to having my sons, so she knew all the tricks that teachers gain through experience.

I, myself, not that clam. I do know that I have better results when the students know I care about them and their education. I also know I can't change who I am. Last year I stopped trying to be someone else. I'm not going to be that harsh strict teacher. Every year I thought I had to be that way, it never worked. I'm in my sixth year and it works better when I 'm me, not trying to be what others said I should be. Having routines and teaching them well is the key. I'm still working on that part. Good Luck, I'm sure you'll do fine.
KMH is offline   Reply With Quote